Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 09:44 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,182 times

Advertisements

I should know this but I don't, and I can't find a clear answer online.

If I want to pay a friend's CTA fare, can I swipe my Ventra card twice as we get on the bus or go through a turnstile for the L? I have a pretty high cash balance on my Ventra card.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 11:20 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Here's what I found but check the link for all details and to be sure it is up to date:
https://www.ventrachicago.com/assets..._Agreement.pdf - the main point is that if you have a reduced fare for some reason that won't apply to them (like if you are a student or senior, etc.)

MULTIPLE RIDERS USING VENTRA
Ventra provides flexibility for your transit travel.
Multiple Riders
You may use your Ventra Accountlinked card or mobile phone to pay for you and up to six (6) additional people riding
with you. Your Ventra Account will be charged for each of these additional riders. Additional riders may not travel on
your period or multiride pass or with your transit benefit funds. Fares and any transfers for additional riders must be
paid from Transit Value in your Ventra Account or on a PAYG basis.
Page 10 of 27
 Example: If you have a 30-Day Pass and you are bringing 2 friends with you, the first tap on the Ventra fare reader
is for you (charged to your 30-Day Pass), and the 2nd and 3rd taps will be charged against the Transit Value in
your account. If you do not have sufficient Transit Value and you are using a contactless credit or debit bank card
or mobile phone, the 2nd and 3rd taps will be charged the PAYG fare against your credit or debit account, or
mobile phone.
Multiple Riders on Bus
When riding with multiple riders on the bus, you must inform the bus operator that you would like to pay for more
people than yourself. The bus operator will set the Ventra fare reader for multiple riders before each additional tap for
your traveling guests. If you will be transferring, you must repeat this process at each transfer point.
Multiple Riders on Rail
When riding with multiple riders on the train, simply tap your Ventra-linked card or mobile phone at the station Ventra
fare reader for each person including yourself and up to 6 additional riders.
Reduced Fare Multiple Riders on Bus & Rail

Old 12-13-2018, 11:56 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,164,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I should know this but I don't, and I can't find a clear answer online.

If I want to pay a friend's CTA fare, can I swipe my Ventra card twice as we get on the bus or go through a turnstile for the L? I have a pretty high cash balance on my Ventra card.

Thank you!
Yes. You can even do transfers. If you have a multi-day pass on the card, the card gets used first, and then the subsequent swipes at the same station are taken from any cash balance. The only time it wouldn't work with a pass on it is if you don't also have cash and don't have an autoloader card set up.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:39 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,182 times
Thank you both for these answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago