Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 06:16 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
I got a pro tip for you too, citing means referencing actual sources.

Also, you sound like another covert racist that doesn't see a problem with certain communities disappearing.
I’m calling foul. I am the Official Covert Racist of this subforum. The title is mine and I refuse to share it. You and your pals bestowed the honor on me, so I wear it with pride...but now you want me to share it with others. No way.

So tell me, Senator Joe “Va”Carthy, how many so called covert racists do you have on you list and....at long last, sir, have you no decency.

Last edited by edsg25; 12-20-2018 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 07:49 PM

246 posts, read 349,763 times
https://wgntv.com/2018/12/20/illinoi...2bFTv6wSPZwIXA

Old 12-20-2018, 08:00 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
personally, i hate this.
it is true and i do not like it.

my company used to be based in Chicago and we would meet there.
we ALWAYS had a good time. no problems. not even a hint of a problem.
my wife went to UI in Champaign-Urbana and rode the train to Chicago
every chance she got. no problems. not one. i understand why people
leave a bad situation. it is survival. it is desire. it is freedom and liberty.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
personally, i hate this.
it is true and i do not like it.

my company used to be based in Chicago and we would meet there.
we ALWAYS had a good time. no problems. not even a hint of a problem.
my wife went to UI in Champaign-Urbana and rode the train to Chicago
every chance she got. no problems. not one. i understand why people
leave a bad situation. it is survival. it is desire. it is freedom and liberty.
You do realize that there is no "Will the last person to leave Chicago turn off the lights" sign? Yes, I realize, we have problems, but we're hardly shrinking away. And we also grow along with decline. No paradox there....that's how it is everywhere.

Chicago and Illinois both need to address the issues they face. I am hopeful that under a new administration, IL can move past the disaster of having Bruce Rauner in the statehouse. This SOB put the state into paralysis and in some ways, he brought Democrats and Republicans together: they both hate him. With Rahm not running, maybe Chicago will get a mayor who more reflects the wishes of the people then corporations, like Rahm does.

Assuming any validity in the state that states "Nearly 156 People Leave Chicago Daily", it would be exceedingly hard to analyze that stat as to what does it mean. Does it tell me that Chicago has become "undesirable"? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe it means that Chicago is following the route of other great cities during a neo-libeal era where our cities become places of wealth, and the poor and middle class get squeezed out. The irony is that when the wealthy do take over, when gentrification takes hold, what you have is a population dip because those very people tend not to have families, come in numbers like 1 or 2.

Honestly, folks, I really do believe that the world of City/Data operates on different rules than the real world, that in CD world, growth is always good, environment and climate do not affect how we function, and that the capitalist system not only is how we swing....but always will be. This obsession we have on this board, that population must go up, that you must grow, that YIMBY is the mantra, even if it means a 140 floor skyscraper staring at you across the street. All this adds proof, it proof were really needed, of how totally f'ed we really are. We have drunk the kool aid. And this insatiable desire for growth certainly makes any claims for near term human extinction, for collapse on innumerable measures (climate, resources, loss of habitat and diversity, the list goes on and on) exceedingly viable. It has created a s**tload of what I consider rather intelligent people, following the work of scientists, particular those scientists who are not owned by our corporations. Could this all come crashing down? And soon? I don't have a crystal ball, can't predict the future. But dang it, yes, it is a very real and very viable theory. And more and more are embracing it. So if you think that that's just another nutty claim of "the sky is falling", well, the sky actually is falling.....from all the junk we emitted into it since the time of the second industrial evolution.

It took mankind thousands of years to reach the one billion mark around 1800. The second billion came around the time of our Great Depression, circa 1930. And scientists feel that two billion is the highest end of true sustainability on this planet. In the less than 100 years from 1930 to today, we have added 5 billion to the number, giving us a very unhealthy 7 billion and growing. At the very time we run out of resources, run out of clean air and water, run out of food due to the sixth mass extinction we as a species have been bringing on.

What kind of cognitive dissonance does one have to have when he laments the loss of 156 people a day of Chicago population. I suspect, due to a myriad of causes, we will be facing population drop globally in this Anthropocene we have created for ourselves. And that reality will become harder and harder to ignore as more and more people (and they are) come to the same conclusions that people like me have. And for the true growth lovers and chicagophiles, here is a lovely thought: Chicago may very well become America's largest city as rising ocean sea level, fueled by the breakup of large city masses in Antarctica and in the Arctic, would well propel New York and Los Angeles into virtual non-existence. Impossible you say? Well, scientists already tell us there will be no Miami by the turn of the next century.

But that shouldn't prevent anyone from having fun in the alternative universe we have created here in C/D cyberspace, where development and growth are always good, and the real world cannot pierce the man made paradise we have made for ourselves.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:28 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
I'd be curious to get more information on the people who are leaving. Right now we're just speculating.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I'd be curious to get more information on the people who are leaving. Right now we're just speculating.
I sense that you won't be able to find any overriding picture of them, any form of commonality. Moving to and from places is common place everywhere and for a myriad of reasons.

I do subscribe to the notion that it takes immigrant population from preventing net population loss for most places.

For a time, and certainly well before the crisises of the 21st century, it was most common place to see a shrinking demographic in the economically advanced nations since small birth rate is common place to people who are more successful and in places where women gain control over their own bodies and whether or not they will have children.

This was definitely true throughout western and central Europe as these nations lost population and immigration wasn't sufficient to make up for the drop. During the time, the US as the only so called "first world" nation that was still growing.

The destabilization of the Mideast, the rising climate issues, and other factors has increased immigration everywhere, so we are clearly in a different era.

Chicago, of course, is an exceedingly cosmopolitan city, its neighborhoods representing people around the world....and such would be true of Chicagoland as a whole....and oft today an immigrant may well go straight to the burbs, never living in the city.

But coastal NY and LA have more of a draw on immigration, their profile higher than Chicago's, and Chicago's interior locale is not one of its strong points in this regard.

We talk about Chicago's population decline, as seen in the first two decades of this century, but do we ever consider that do to immigration laws, the formerly easy flow of Mexicans to the Chicago area has slowed considerably? Hispanic growth was a major demograhphic feature of Chicago.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:00 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times
edsg25, in my opinion I do not pick up on any racist ideology from you. You have your opinion, as does EVERYONE, on city-data, hence we are here! . To me, you seem knowledgeable, you hold your position well, you mean no harm to others... Just a thought to all, and we might all be able to relate: We all probably know someone with cancer and can't even pinpoint WHY they even have it!... Let's all be happy for the little things we DO have in our lives, as well as the big things: our own health, our families, and hopefully employment and housing!... I wish happiness, health, love and laughter to all my from work city-data.comers- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 12-21-2018, 08:55 AM

629 posts, read 543,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Well, for starters the fact that five years ago I had a nice two bedroom place in great location for $850/mo. and now I can't find anything comparable for under $1200. Nearly a 50% increase in five years. Apparently I need to move to your complex.
so your one-off situation overrides the entire city and its aggregate data? Just a heads up snowflake, the world doesn't revolve around you
and yeah, you probably should move if your landlord is jacking up your rent that much... $800 a month is practically secion 8 rent though so who knows...

Old 12-21-2018, 08:59 AM

629 posts, read 543,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

Chicago and Illinois both need to address the issues they face. I am hopeful that under a new administration, IL can move past the disaster of having Bruce Rauner in the statehouse. This SOB put the state into paralysis and in some ways, he brought Democrats and Republicans together: they both hate him. With Rahm not running, maybe Chicago will get a mayor who more reflects the wishes of the people then corporations, like Rahm does.
I find it amusing that any politician in this state with a centrist approach, everyone hates... Rahm was a centrist policy democrat and Bruce was a centrist as well... both are outta here... lol

Old 12-21-2018, 09:57 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I sense that you won't be able to find any overriding picture of them, any form of commonality. Moving to and from places is common place everywhere and for a myriad of reasons.

I do subscribe to the notion that it takes immigrant population from preventing net population loss for most places.

For a time, and certainly well before the crisises of the 21st century, it was most common place to see a shrinking demographic in the economically advanced nations since small birth rate is common place to people who are more successful and in places where women gain control over their own bodies and whether or not they will have children.

This was definitely true throughout western and central Europe as these nations lost population and immigration wasn't sufficient to make up for the drop. During the time, the US as the only so called "first world" nation that was still growing.

The destabilization of the Mideast, the rising climate issues, and other factors has increased immigration everywhere, so we are clearly in a different era.

Chicago, of course, is an exceedingly cosmopolitan city, its neighborhoods representing people around the world....and such would be true of Chicagoland as a whole....and oft today an immigrant may well go straight to the burbs, never living in the city.

But coastal NY and LA have more of a draw on immigration, their profile higher than Chicago's, and Chicago's interior locale is not one of its strong points in this regard.

We talk about Chicago's population decline, as seen in the first two decades of this century, but do we ever consider that do to immigration laws, the formerly easy flow of Mexicans to the Chicago area has slowed considerably? Hispanic growth was a major demograhphic feature of Chicago.
If it's all across the board I would be less concerned then if it is wealthier people leaving. Not because I am elitist but because those are the people really paying the freight, thanks to the way wealth and jobs are distributed in our city. I've repeatedly said this isn't right but it is what it is, and I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

I look at residential rental properties for investment possibilities all the time. Maybe I'm cheap but I'm absolutely stunned at some of the property taxes I'm seeing on buildings in nicer neighborhoods. I'm also seeing a lot of them for sale. If we take a "tax the rich until they suffer" approach, which is trendy within the progressive wing of the Democratic party right now, that could have some serious unintended consequences, especially given the way our economy is built.

That's totally anecdotal though, which is why this needs to be studied more. I think it's reached the point where our elected officials would start studying why this is happening, if they are responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago