Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For whom will you vote for Mayor in 2019?
GARRY McCARTHY 18 26.09%
SUSANA MENDOZA 4 5.80%
TONI PRECKWINKLE 5 7.25%
PAUL VALLAS 12 17.39%
AMARA ENYIA 1 1.45%
GERY CHICO 2 2.90%
BILL DALEY 8 11.59%
LORI LIGHTFOOT 9 13.04%
DOROTHY BROWN 0 0%
WILLIE WILSON 3 4.35%
JA’MAL GREEN 1 1.45%
JERRY JOYCE 1 1.45%
LA SHAWN K. FORD 0 0%
BOB FIORETTI 2 2.90%
NEAL SALES-GRIFFIN 1 1.45%
JOHN KOZLAR 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:02 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manterro View Post
CPS teachers make an average of $75k per year and work less than 9 months a year. I’m so sick of hearing about the poor teachers and how hard they have it. Take take take. Pretty soon there will be nothing left to take. The state is bankrupt and the taxpayers are leaving. How about CTU shuts up and works on graduating more than 60% of their students? Unbelievable.

THIS is the truth ! Not only do they work 9 months a year, they get several week off during that 9 months!! Outrageous ! I'm sure that the college teaches them how whine, complain and how to join the union. That's all you have to pass to become a teacher. How many people don't pass the exam to become a teacher ? I'd like to see how many. How would any teacher like to work 50 weeks a year with just a 2 week vacation, I'm betting none ? Isn't it funny how most teachers are liberals ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 08:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
THIS is the truth ! Not only do they work 9 months a year, they get several week off during that 9 months!! Outrageous ! I'm sure that the college teaches them how whine, complain and how to join the union. That's all you have to pass to become a teacher. How many people don't pass the exam to become a teacher ? I'd like to see how many. How would any teacher like to work 50 weeks a year with just a 2 week vacation, I'm betting none ? Isn't it funny how most teachers are liberals ?
Fact vs Fiction

NEA - Teacher Compensation: Fact vs. Fiction

https://www.payscale.com/career-news...et-summers-off

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/15/us/te...ion/index.html

Quote:
More than 3.5 million full-time teachers in the United States are required to work 38.2 hours a week on average, according to the NCES. But when taking into account all other school-related activities teachers participate in -- like after school conferences, staff meetings and extracurricular programs -- they actually end up working 53.3 hours during a typical work week.
For most other professions, a typical American work week in 2017 was 42.3 hours, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Quote:
Many teachers have to pay for classroom supplies out of their own pockets, further adding to the financial burdens many educators are facing.
A 2016 study by educational publisher Scholastic found teachers, on average, spent $530 of their personal money on supplies for their classrooms.
They're buying supplies for students like pencils, notebooks, tissues, books, lesson plans, technology and software, the study showed.
Kerrie Dallman, the president of the Colorado Education Association (CEA), said each year she'd spend between $800 and $1,000 on average buying supplemental textbooks and classroom materials, but most CEA members pay about $650.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:18 PM

426 posts, read 334,230 times
The CTU hands out millions of dollars in campaign contributions but they don't have money for supplies? Screw the CTU - I'm tired of their BS and lies.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manterro View Post
The CTU hands out millions of dollars in campaign contributions but they don't have money for supplies? Screw the CTU - I'm tired of their BS and lies.
It is NOT the union's responsibility to buy supplies. It is the school district's responsibility. When I went to school (a long time ago, admittedly), parents were not asked for supplies and everything was provided by the school. No, teachers did NOT have to buy those supplies back then except for pencils, pens and looseleaf paper. I am not sure if we had to buy gym uniforms, but they were a lot cheaper back then too. It was in the district budget. Now, as parents we get a school supply list and while my dd and ds can afford to buy and even to buy extras for parents who cannot afford it, there are plenty of parents who send in nothing.

For example, here is Evanston's 2018 school supply list for Nichols School.

https://www.district65.net/cms/lib/I...20doc.docx.pdf

Old 01-20-2019, 05:59 PM

The Chicago public school system needs to freeze administrative salaries and cut administrative level jobs. They have too many employees for the jobs that need to be done. They have overlapping, redundant layers of bureaucracy and it's patronage heaven. They're pissing away big bucks needlessly. Student enrollment is also dropping and they have a bunch of half empty schools. Consolidate the students into other schools sell those half empty properties. There's ways for CPS to save money and generate income for the teachers but they won't do that. The solution is always raise the taxes as opposed to cutting waste. They want to keep the gravy train rolling at the expense of the taxpayers who are already overburdened with endless taxes.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:16 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
^^^

You have so much anger toward CTU. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news: cutting funding to CTU is not going to solve the budget problems.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:46 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,963 times
Good God. So our leaders in this poll are the former head of a corrupt-and-racist-yet-still-completely-ineffectual police force and a freaking DALEY?

I haven't seen the actual polls yet, but somebody please tell me they look better than this.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Good God. So our leaders in this poll are the former head of a corrupt-and-racist-yet-still-completely-ineffectual police force and a freaking DALEY?

I haven't seen the actual polls yet, but somebody please tell me they look better than this.
It's been remarkably quiet on polls. Google search shows virtually nothing on polling for the Chicago mayoral candidates. Weird.

Things not going well for the powers that be?

Old 01-21-2019, 08:57 AM

Paul Vallas announced his pension plan. It’s long, but worth a read…

https://capitolfax.com/2019/01/18/rn...em-manageable/

Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 AM

"Most (candidates) aren't even close to 20 percent in the mayoral field, said a consultant with the Gery Chico campaign. Chico's polling coincides with other media and private surveys, with only Toni Preckwinkle and Susana Mendoza slightly above 20 percent. Bill Daley, Chico and Gerry McCarthy are in the 12 to 16 percent range, and Paul Vallas, Lori Lightfoot, Enyia and the rest are in single digits."

Chicago Political Analyst - Article January 16, 2019

Last edited by Manterro; 01-21-2019 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago