Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:56 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times

Advertisements

The Democratic not liberal comments are totally bang on.

Chicago is old-school democrat, and votes that way mostly because of history and powerful influences. They want the government and politicians to control things, which falls into a "liberal" mindset more than a conservative one that wants smaller government. Plus, it's a very diverse city, which also plays to democrat political views more often.

It's nowhere near as liberal as the west coast or NYC. Tribal is another great adjective someone used.

It's mostly a tolerant city as well - gay neighborhoods abound, it's not "weird" to be gay here. But you won't find too much of the granola types - this is a cold-weathered city with hard walls and masculine energy. The "whatever-dude" way of thinking will be eaten for lunch. It's not really part of the culture here. But the diversity is everywhere, and people of all kinds can find a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

Chicago is old-school democrat, and votes that way mostly because of history and powerful influences. They want the government and politicians to control things, which falls into a "liberal" mindset more than a conservative one that wants smaller government. Plus, it's a very diverse city, which also plays to democrat political views more often.

It's nowhere near as liberal as the west coast or NYC. Tribal is another great adjective someone used.

It's mostly a tolerant city as well - gay neighborhoods abound, it's not "weird" to be gay here. But you won't find too much of the granola types - this is a cold-weathered city with hard walls and masculine energy. The "whatever-dude" way of thinking will be eaten for lunch. It's not really part of the culture here. But the diversity is everywhere, and people of all kinds can find a home.
What about hipsters? Do you see any differences between Chicago and the coastal cities?

Old 01-03-2019, 02:40 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:

You could literally use the bolded section to describe NYC and virtually every other East Coast city. The fact stands that Chicago has plenty of "granola types" like all other big and liberal cities. The "hog butcher of the world" Chicago dies a bit more with each passing year.

I do concur that Chicago is not as liberal as a lot of West Coast cities, especially in the PNW, and NYC, but it's on par, if not more liberal, than the rest of the Northeastern cities.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:35 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
What about hipsters? Do you see any differences between Chicago and the coastal cities?
Hipsters are everywhere, but a lower percentage of the population in Chicago would fit this description than on the west coast.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:30 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'd call Chicago regressive in terms of politics.

You hit the nail on the head ! I've never understood how the liberals are 'progressive' when everything they do is a step backwards.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:35 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Hipsters are everywhere, but a lower percentage of the population in Chicago would fit this description than on the west coast.
I thought all of the granola types were in Portland Oregon.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
You hit the nail on the head ! I've never understood how the liberals are 'progressive' when everything they do is a step backwards.
Well, they're certainly trying to progress towards something. What that is we might not like but that's how I view it

Old 01-05-2019, 12:20 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
The five largest metro areas in the US are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, and Houston. I'd say it's pretty safe to put Chicago right in the middle of those five in terms of liberalism, though certainly closer to #2 than #4.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:37 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Hipsters are everywhere
Exactly. I'm still after all these years not *entirely* sure what Boomer/yuppie/conservative people mean when they say "hipster," but if they just mean young creative people who aren't super money-focused, have eclectic taste in art and music, and wear cool glasses and thrift stores clothes, I would say you see more of those in Tulsa and Nashville these days than you do in Manhattan or North Side Chicago. In Chicago they've really been increasingly pushed into a small number of neighborhoods, if you're not counting the trust fund or yuppie-in-denial types.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:07 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Exactly. I'm still after all these years not *entirely* sure what Boomer/yuppie/conservative people mean when they say "hipster," but if they just mean young creative people who aren't super money-focused, have eclectic taste in art and music, and wear cool glasses and thrift stores clothes, I would say you see more of those in Tulsa and Nashville these days than you do in Manhattan or North Side Chicago. In Chicago they've really been increasingly pushed into a small number of neighborhoods, if you're not counting the trust fund or yuppie-in-denial types.
I think it’s rather that “indie” culture is dead and dated to the point where it’s affectations are now nearly comical. I’m sure there are a few art school hard liners still wandering around but for the most part young people today are far more conscious of things like career paths than kids from 20 years ago, and tech jobs have given a lot of them a way to be professionals in their own right instead of going into finance or law.

Like Johnny Rotren said 40 years ago, it’s all fashion.

Although occasionally I’ll still run into a real hippie trying to live a genuinely alternative lifestyle, usually on a Greyhound bus, and it is quite refreshing, even if they are 25 years behind the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago