Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 03:51 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

Before I took a job in the North Lawndale I had never been anywhere close to these areas. I was so nervous, even though I knew i was going to drive.
Now I take the train sometimes during the day. But at night I usually drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 04:45 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Just to clarify, most people who post here are going to have zero frame of reference for this question. Because they don’t go into those areas, period. On average north side Chicagoans have almost certainly spent more time in Thailand — by a factor of 1,000 — than they have in Englewood, etc.
LOL....guilty as charged. Last time I thought about was visiting a friend and as driving down asking if it would make sense to cut across to their home via Halsted. She lived around 90th or 100th street. Her answer was I'd get a brick through my car window before reaching her and to stick to the route she gave....but that was a few years ago now.

But you could check with three places:

1. https://www.chathamcenterchicago.com...al-Reduced.pdf

It looks like the area is really trying to pick itself up and put itself together. If enough of these stores are open late you may be able to piece together a safer walk pat to get to the El. If you see something you don't like, know which stores are open you can duck into.

2. Try to contact a police officer in the area. Don't ask if it's safe. Ask them for the best routes to take and/or what points to actively avoid.

3. Ask your coworkers. If someone else is getting off at the same time, maybe they can give you a ride to the el stop. I've never had a problem at an el stop.

When my sister showed up at my home in Humboldt Park, after fleeing her husband in Germany, flat broke. I told her not to go west or south of where I was at. Being poor she did....though mystified that she couldn't get shampoo in some of the stores near where she got cheap food. Some of her rebounds came from completely sketch areas complete with sketch homefronts.

Anyway, some tips gathered from my little sister, who was young, blonde haired and blue-eyed who ran all over the south and west sides and still does in uber eats today:

It's a risk. Know that. Be smart. Know where your risk is.

Be attentive. Don't headphone out the world when you're in the bad parts or walk around texting.

Don't be alone. When you are, talk on the cell phone while waiting/walking in bad parts. Describe what you see to the other person so you can think of something to say and are still paying attention to surroundings. At worst, the other person knows where you are. Don't get caught in an attention grabbing conversation. Those have to wait until you're into a safer area.

Look fierce. Don't trust the gentle inquiry. Quick, short and cold is your standard. You're not there to make friends.

Have shoes that you can run in, but aren't nice enough someone would want them.

Nobody messes with angry crazy. If feeling danger, step fierce up to angry crazy.

Always know where your next safe point is. If it is close, choose that over confrontation.

Skill Bonus:
Develop a non-threatening warning. For her, she always carries a box cutter, as she has it for work. We can be sitting and chill and she can whip that out and engage the blade without looking to trim a fingernail, while continuing a conversation. As she puts it. It's not the best weapon, but I know how to use it, and the smarter ones will realize they're going to get hurt. I will get away.

A handful of times, I'd get a call to pick her up form a store/bus stop she was dawdling in, but not very often. One scared me a bit, not seared in the memory but something like this:

Me: Hey.

Her: I'm in Garfield Park, was hoping to catch a ride. Rebound guy sucks and his sister is a literal ho. I think he lives in a flophouse.

Me: What....does that even exist? Garfield Park, not flophouses. You realize the world ends at Roosevelt right? It was flat until Daley tied the world together with a skyway to make it curved that connects to Gary. I'm on it.

Her: I'm at x/y hundred and walking north. <blah blah blah about surroundings>

Me: driving

Her: Description stops for a bit. "Back off. I'm not lost."

Story changes to her bitching about boyfriend.

Her: "and when I get there, I'm going to cut his little cheating "member" into pieces. <crazy act begins, blade is likely out>

in a little bit.

Her: <whispered> What's your ETA, I'm at x/y hundred.

Me: I'm close, less than 5 minutes. What do you see.

Her: Bus stop, but nobody's there.

Me: Keep going toward light. I'm close. You lose your tail?

Her: He's gone I think, but I messed up and had to walk through a big group of people hanging out. Some are following and trying to get attention. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come here on a Saturday night. Crazy's not going to work on this one.

I spot her. Must've been 10-12 guys not too far behind. Probably just bored and a little intoxicated, but definitely following and catcalling her. I pull up and she hops in. Only time I saw her scared.

Me: Ok, glad you're here. Now, remember the two safe directions to go from my house?

Her: Thank you. North and East.

Me: You going to do that?

Her: The green line is so much faster than the blue...

Me: Ok, now I know you're ok. Even if you're crazy.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 PM

7 posts, read 13,392 times
Thank you again for your input guys. My route is gonna be from Downtown Chicago, taking the red line going south. Will bringing someone with me (a co-worker for example) drastically increase my safety?

Old 01-07-2019, 04:18 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
A lot of uber drivers have reservations about going into those neighborhoods. They don't have to, so you could end up with situations where you call them, get in the car, they see where you are going, and they tell you no.
Rate them one star and report them. They won't stay in business long doing that often.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:09 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
the driver can just say they feared for their life, so they didnt take the fare..they may get disciplined, but, anyone who knows those areas understands you take your life in your own hands if you go there

Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
That's Chiraq. Don't do it.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 13,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

2. Try to contact a police officer in the area. Don't ask if it's safe. Ask them for the best routes to take and/or what points to actively avoid.
Why should I not ask if it's safe? Sorry if that's a dumb question

Old 01-07-2019, 05:44 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
It has nothing to do with "valuing life". I can guarantee my life is not valued on the North Side. They may not shoot me, but they might let me die if I was attacked and bleeding on the sidewalk. Crime is a function of poverty, and poor people do what they have to do to survive.

That being said, I agree with CD-ers on this one. I had a friend who lived in Englewood and he told me there was one intersection he'd never stop at night. He would just blow through the light. I can't remember where it was. Might have been 63rd and something. Either way, this isn't the best idea in any neighborhood. Certainly not one with high crime. Especially if you are going to stand out as someone who doesn't live there.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:06 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojog View Post
Thank you again for your input guys. My route is gonna be from Downtown Chicago, taking the red line going south. Will bringing someone with me (a co-worker for example) drastically increase my safety?
The predator preys on the weakest. Two people combined are not the weakest. It keeps you safe from individuals. Go the wrong way and find yourself in a sea of people hanging out...it won't help.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:41 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
The predator preys on the weakest. Two people combined are not the weakest. It keeps you safe from individuals. Go the wrong way and find yourself in a sea of people hanging out...it won't help.
Not always. The Red Line attack at the State CTA station a few weeks ago, there were 3 people together but they were attacked by almost 50 teens. The amount of people doesn't matter. It's all about street smarts and being aware of your surroundings. If you see a large group of teens or people acting rowdy or looking like they are going to cause trouble, don't go near them. If you are really scared, enter the front train where the conductor is. Be aware of your surroundings when you enter and exit the train. Everyone has their earphones on listening to music and they're not aware of their surroundings. If a group enters the train car you are in and they're being rowdy, play it cool but exit at the next stop and get into another car. If they are exiting at your stop, it may be best to stay on the train, especially if there aren't many other people exiting and it is late at night.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/01...g-mob-attacks/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago