U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-16-2008, 12:04 AM
 
2,778 posts, read 5,477,921 times
Reputation: 2017

Advertisements

I always wonder how I would have done in Chicago had it been sunnier in winter. Not a shortening of winter or anything, just more sun. Chicago, and most midwestern cities, are just so dark it's all-encompassing. I used to feel like I was drowning in darkness, especially by the third week of January when you haven't seen the sun in nearly four months. The autumn I could manage by being heavily involved in all the fabulous things the city has to offer, but at least for me there was no escaping the deep depression of a perpetual lack of sunlight.

I forgot how happy I can feel just by walking around. I forgot the sheer joy of not having to worry about weather, to not feel the dread of an impending season of, well... you know, darkness/doom/gloom/snow. Yeah, CA is pretty monotonous in how weather never changes here (my midwestern inner-self will always insist that weather moves, and you shouldn't have to move within the same area to find different weather) but I'll totally take that. Maybe if I really miss autumn I'll move to NC or VA.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2008, 12:06 AM
 
Location: southern california
50,275 posts, read 47,627,816 times
Reputation: 41668
great line from slaughthouse 5. kirt vonnegut jr.
old guy on a box car to germany concentration camp for 5 days say hey this is not so bad ive seen lots worse than this, on the 5th day he dies. i was born in chicago. s. side cicero.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2008, 07:52 AM
 
10,697 posts, read 18,291,569 times
Reputation: 3592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
great line from slaughthouse 5. kirt vonnegut jr.
old guy on a box car to germany concentration camp for 5 days say hey this is not so bad ive seen lots worse than this, on the 5th day he dies. i was born in chicago. s. side cicero.
Have you ever been to Cicero? If so, you might think the same. It's definitely not representative of the rest of Chicago, though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 AM
 
10,697 posts, read 18,291,569 times
Reputation: 3592
This thread has degenerated into a bunch of sun belt and southern Californians ripping on weather they don't live in... If weather is that big of a deal to you, great. That's your choice. Chicago is a great place to live, and I'd pick it over ANY sun belt city without hesitation. So unless you live in Miami, quit your ridiculous comments. It's not that great to live in Dallas or Phoenix or whatever bland sun belt mostrosity you're from.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 AM
 
58 posts, read 116,753 times
Reputation: 43
I agree coldwine. It's more than the bad weather, its the dullness and all encompassing darkness of the long dying fall, dead winter, and struggling spring that seems to last forever.

There's also a fallacy regarding change of seasons in warmer climates. Trees in So Cal do lose their leaves in the winter, and even Florida has a "winter".
November through April in the south has the most exceptional weather you can imagine.
Sure the summers are hot and humid, but the winters there are pure pleasure.
Opposite of Chicago, where 7-8 months of winter misery only guarantees you the chance for warmer weather in the summer. Great weather in Chicago is never guaranteed in the summer.


This is still Chicago weather rant thread, whether you from here or not. I think if anyone is complaining about this thread, or others posting in it should open a new thread about their opinion on the great aspects of Chicago weather.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 AM
 
6,448 posts, read 8,967,650 times
Reputation: 2721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrz44 View Post
I agree coldwine. It's more than the bad weather, its the dullness and all encompassing darkness of the long dying fall, dead winter, and struggling spring that seems to last forever.

There's also a fallacy regarding change of seasons in warmer climates. Trees in So Cal do lose their leaves in the winter, and even Florida has a "winter".
November through April in the south has the most exceptional weather you can imagine.
Sure the summers are hot and humid, but the winters there are pure pleasure.
Opposite of Chicago, where 7-8 months of winter misery only guarantees you the chance for warmer weather in the summer. Great weather in Chicago is never guaranteed in the summer.


This is still Chicago weather rant thread, whether you from here or not. I think if anyone is complaining about this thread, or others posting in it should open a new thread about their opinion on the great aspects of Chicago weather.
I think the real heart of the issue is this: Perhaps Chicago weather isn't everyone's cup of tea. Lots of people hate it. Maybe the yin outweighs the yang. Still, as someone who grew up and spent most of his life in South Carolina, warmth really ain't everything. Not only does it, too, get a tad old after a while (golly gee, another 100 degree day with a basically-guaranteed thunderstorm mid-afternoon), but it also provides little to look forward to. Little contrast.

I know that it's impossible to convince a native Chicagoan otherwise, but there really are bigger concerns than weather when choosing a place to live. If you could show me a city in, say, North Carolina that had as much to offer as Chicago, i'd move there. Why wouldn't I? Closer to the ocean and mountains. Warmer. Generally cheaper. Thing is, that city doesn't really exist. So here I am. Here we are.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 AM
 
58 posts, read 116,753 times
Reputation: 43
I agree carolinabred 100%, it is more about weather, very true.

But also don't underestimate the importance of always having that nice weather to rely on year after year.
It's the same coin, different sides in a way. It's your preference, it is or isn't your cup of tea as you said.

I've spent all my winters indoors. I'm not an indoor person, nor do I enjoy wearing multiple layers of clothes to keep warm most of the year. I appreciate nice weather.
I want to go to my grave knowing I've spent as much of my living days in active environment outdoors.

It's a trade off sure. However Chicago only offers me a job as of now. When that goes, it has expired with respect to being an asset to me.
I'll take lesser pay and happier winters down south.

I think it is safe to say Chicago great is for some, but obviously not for those who crave nice weather.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 13,278,012 times
Reputation: 1761
I love earthquakes. God does not let people live in year around nice weather areas for free.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 AM
 
Location: AZ
19,664 posts, read 51,247,758 times
Reputation: 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
especially by the third week of January when you haven't seen the sun in nearly four months
Just curious, do you walk around with your eyes closed or something??? What a ridiculous statement.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2008, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Chicago
15,589 posts, read 13,278,012 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Just curious, do you walk around with your eyes closed or something??? What a ridiculous statement.
Especially last fall we had alot of sun in October through early November and quite a few unseasonably warm days.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top