U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2008, 09:54 AM

19,487 posts, read 50,785,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Yeah. I used to say that while growing up in Northern Ohio. Then a funny thing happened. I grew up, moved away and started to realize that while the Mid-West winters were not all that bad, they weren't all that good, either.

It's been 30 years now and not a winter goes by that I don't thank my lucky stars that I no longer have to:

1) Have a "storm door"
2) Wear boots 4 months a year
3) Walk around dodging 12" piles of dirty slush
4) Waiting for a car to "warm up"
5) Scraping windows
6) Throwing Salt
7) Shoveling Snow
8) Wearing heavy clothing
9) Enduring the gray skies commonly referred to in Northern Ohio as the "Moscow Effect"....at least they haven't lost their levity!
10) Not seeing my shadow for weeks on end
11) Watching my car dissolve from rust after 4 or 5 years of use
12) Knocking 40lb stlalagtites off the corners of my wheelwells
13) Reading used car ads with great phrases like "some rust" or "little rust"
14) Prying doors open from drifts
15) Feeling my face crack

Yeah, if you toss out these and another 30 descriptions or so, I guess it's not "that bad". Go South young man, go South. You will live a longer, happier life. Besides, the women are pretty down South. Friendly too. They tend to lack that "Industrial Look". Just my jaded humble opinion....I could be wrong......NOT.
Hope youre enjoying your sauna and hurricane season! Ill just sit here in the perfect summer weather, not swat at Schnauzer-sized flying cockroaches, or worry about having to board up my house and run away from hurricanes.

And did you just say "not"??? Oh boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 09:54 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,177,046 times
My biggest problem with Chicago (and NYC) winters is not the temperature, but the lack of snow. I grew up in Grand Rapids MI, and am used to the lake affect snow. It just gives the city a better feel, and hides all the brown grass/slushy sidewalks.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:07 AM

5,248 posts, read 8,184,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the other one View Post
Fair enough. I would like to hear opinions from someone who moved from a warm region to Chicago, after reading on here, and hear what they thought of the winter and how it matched up against their expectations. And I'm not knocking Chicago in any way, I've lived in the area my whole life, love it here.
I grew up in Alabama and moved to Chicago after 4 years in RI. I really think the winters aren't that bad, and I much prefer them to the summers down South. I understand, however, that this is a completely subjective topic, so there's often no point in arguing.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 AM

296 posts, read 535,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hope youre enjoying your sauna and hurricane season! Ill just sit here in the perfect summer weather, not swat at Schnauzer-sized flying cockroaches, or worry about having to board up my house and run away from hurricanes.

And did you just say "not"??? Oh boy.

What's wrong with "not"?

Sincerely,

Old 08-14-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
What's wrong with "not"?

Sincerely,
Thanks for the laugh, rep points for that one!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 AM

21 posts, read 29,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
My biggest problem with Chicago (and NYC) winters is not the temperature, but the lack of snow. I grew up in Grand Rapids MI, and am used to the lake affect snow. It just gives the city a better feel, and hides all the brown grass/slushy sidewalks.

AGREEEED!!! nice white snow makes winter more enjoyable

Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 AM

5,248 posts, read 8,184,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTChiStyle View Post
AGREEEED!!! nice white snow makes winter more enjoyable
But its a pain in the butt to walk or drive in it when the streets/sidewalks aren't plowed.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:24 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,869,286 times
I, like Sukwoo, am a bona fide southern transplant.

Do the winters suck in Chicago? Sure. However, I'm not all that crazy about winter, so compared to the winters down South, the winters in Boston, NYC, Philly, etc ALL suck. To break them down into levels of suck is really splitting hairs.

However, there is SO. MUCH. MORE to life than weather. I can deal with Chicago winters. I can deal with SC summers.

The cool thing about living in the 21st century is that WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY! WE CAN OVERCOME! From AC to silk long-johns, I can deal with pretty much any weather that comes my way. And so can you.

Warm, bright winters are nice, but I grew up without Chicago winters and can honestly say that I have never appreciated summer like I do now.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 PM

5,301 posts, read 4,506,338 times
Default I agree..

...that unplowed sidewalks/streets can be difficult to navigate, but I still much prefer that to a not, muggy day in the 90's, with no breeze and little chance of sleep if the air conditioner doesn't work ( my neighborhood has power outages several times every summer). The coldest winter days are a constant reminder (to me) that unbearable heat and humidity are still months away.

Finally, Chicago winters are cold and somewhat snowy,Boston winters are a little warmer but snowier, and Minneapolis winters are the coldest in major metropilitan areas in the US.

My guesses: in January,

Chicago high 32 low 16 overcast, balance between dry/moist
Boston high 36 low 22, overcast, damp, moist
Minneapolis high 24 low 10, more sunshine, fairly dry
Washington DC high 41 low 25, damp, moist, small snow amounts

THat's enough. When arguing weather, it's really one's background that's most important. And in my case, it's my VT childhood which has been the most influential.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
But its a pain in the butt to walk or drive in it
IMO thats when its the BEST time to go driving. Every corner on every street can be your own private personal drifting playground. Just dont get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago