Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 21,974 times

Advertisements

I just moved back to Chicago from Sarasota Florida. The weather in Chicago really does suck. I cant stand it, but for those of you who love winter sports like ice hockey can keep busy during cold months. If weather is everything to you Florida is the way to go 8 months out of the year. Chicago on the other hand has 5 beautiful months where the city comes alive and there is no other place in the country like it. But like the earth there is a natural balance that the warm states in the south do not see much of. Moving back was really difficult but I did not realize how much I loved those tall pine trees that cover all the midwest on threw Canada. Palm trees and sun is one thing but trust one who has done it and back, there really is nothing like the big city feel of Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 AM

41 posts, read 84,675 times
There's always Honolulu, or San Diego (although someone will say it's too perfect )!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
It's all about quality of life, and a big part of that is cost of living and access to well paying jobs -- Honolulu might have fabulously beautiful weather, but if you can't afford to own property or do fun things, what's the point? I'd rather vacation there than live there. SD is the exact same way.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
As I read some of the threads started by people that want to move to Chicago the reoccuring theme I see in all of the threads is,......

Chicago winters are: awful,brutal,the worst,unsurviable,etc......"

Folks it's not that bad. Heck it's not even bad at all. Stop crying about the weather. Some of you make it sound as if Chicago has 11 months of the worst winters on the planet. Sometimes I think many of you jump on the weather bandwagon because "it's the thing to say".

Gee-whiz folks let it go. We are all adults, stop crying so darn much your children are watching
Actually, I am someone who would like cold weather.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Wow, I was a real prick last year at this time of the year. LOL, kind of sad to look back on my posts. :embarassed face:

Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I've noticed most people who really whine about Chicago weather are the ones who don't live here....

I normally hear and might complain a little myself during winter, but it's usually just part of a passing conversation.

"wow, I can't believe how cold it was this morning" - "yeah, that was crazy" - "so what are you doing this weekend......"

Old 04-22-2009, 01:34 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've noticed most people who really whine about Chicago weather are the ones who don't live here....

I normally hear and might complain a little myself during winter, but it's usually just part of a passing conversation.

"wow, I can't believe how cold it was this morning" - "yeah, that was crazy" - "so what are you doing this weekend......"
I believe there are many people out there who have lived in Chicago several years, as well as several other places, and they can and do form opinions based on personal experience living for extended periods of time in multiple places. I'm one of them.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:40 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I always wonder how I would have done in Chicago had it been sunnier in winter. Not a shortening of winter or anything, just more sun. Chicago, and most midwestern cities, are just so dark it's all-encompassing. I used to feel like I was drowning in darkness, especially by the third week of January when you haven't seen the sun in nearly four months. The autumn I could manage by being heavily involved in all the fabulous things the city has to offer, but at least for me there was no escaping the deep depression of a perpetual lack of sunlight.
We have done the opposite. You moved from Chicago to a tropical country and I moved from a tropical country to Chicago. I see what you're saying, but one thing is for sure about dreary, winter days - they sure do make me appreciate the sunshine and warmth of the spring so much more! When I lived in Costa Rica, it never got that cold, (although it rained torrentially every day for more than half of the year which I hate almost as much as the bitter cold.) Anyway, my point is that the brutal winter makes me appreciate days like today (bright and sunny) so much more. I missed the seasons more than I thought I did. The Fall is beautiful in Chicago, many winter days are beautiful - and the spring is heavenly. Those first warm days when you can go out side without a jacket? Worth the winter cold. (Does everyone remember St. Patrick's Day this year? )

Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Wow, I was a real prick last year at this time of the year. LOL, kind of sad to look back on my posts. :embarassed face:
I was thinking it didn't seem like you and was wondering whether someone stole your identity or something. I had never seen you not use capital letters either. lol

Old 04-22-2009, 03:02 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
yeah i had just gotten laid off in March...could you tell? geez, i wish i could delete those...Argh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago