U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2009, 08:40 PM

2,041 posts, read 3,432,417 times
It was too warm yesterday. Can't wait until winter finally arrives!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:35 AM

18,533 posts, read 48,467,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi1988 View Post
I'm lived in the south my entire life (Texas to be exact) so I'm not too fond of cold weather. I was thinking about moving to Chicago or virginia (not really sure), but after reading some of these comments I don't know if I could take Chicago's cold weather. I HATE cold! Don't be decieved, though. It's gets cold in the spring time here as well. For instance, in 2007 it snowed on easter! The weather can be really crazy here. One day it can be 95 degrees and the next day be 58.
Sounds like Chicago! lol

Seriously, it is COLD from mid-November until early March. Expect highs in the 20s, 30s and 40s for 3 months, lows in the teens often, and a handful of days that reach single digit highs only.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:50 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,190,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sounds like Chicago! lol

Seriously, it is COLD from mid-November until early March. Expect highs in the 20s, 30s and 40s for 3 months, lows in the teens often, and a handful of days that reach single digit highs only.
Steve, sweetheart, March in Chicago is a frigid month too. Let's be honest. We get a few of those freak days where it's in the 50's, but for the most part it's still a very cold winter month.

The weather did not usually improve until after the middle of April, and then there were always one or two of those heartbreaking days when it snowed.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 AM

2,041 posts, read 3,432,417 times
Look at the calendar. A week ago was the middle of April, and they were calling for a chance of snow overnight. Didn't happen, but overall it's been quite chilly up to mid April.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 PM

18,533 posts, read 48,467,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Steve, sweetheart, March in Chicago is a frigid month too. Let's be honest. We get a few of those freak days where it's in the 50's, but for the most part it's still a very cold winter month.

The weather did not usually improve until after the middle of April, and then there were always one or two of those heartbreaking days when it snowed.
Coldwine, March in Chicago is hardly "frigid". Those "freak days" you speak of are about average, considering the average high in March is 45, with plenty of days in the 50s, 60s and even some in the 70s. See here for this year's March weather. I see 7 days that were over 60 degrees, 18 days were at or above the 45 degree average. Not exactly "frigid" (at least not compared to January).
History : Weather Underground

2008 wasnt quite as warm (was actually one of our coldest Marches ever), but there was still 11 days at or above average temps:

2007? I see a few days that were almost 80 degrees. Bottom line? March is not "frigid", its wishy-washy, but can be absolutely gorgeous many times.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 PM

29 posts, read 58,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
As I read some of the threads started by people that want to move to Chicago the reoccuring theme I see in all of the threads is,......

Chicago winters are: awful,brutal,the worst,unsurviable,etc......"

Folks it's not that bad. Heck it's not even bad at all. Stop crying about the weather. Some of you make it sound as if Chicago has 11 months of the worst winters on the planet. Sometimes I think many of you jump on the weather bandwagon because "it's the thing to say".

Gee-whiz folks let it go. We are all adults, stop crying so darn much your children are watching
Haha, I am moving to Chicago soon, from Alabama, and that is the number one thing I hear every time I mention moving. My attitude is billions of people survive cold winters all over the world... I think I can handle it! I would rather be in a winter that is a few degrees colder than here but be in a city that has things to do! It gets cold here too but the humidity in the summers is almost unbearable. I would much rather a slightly colder winter and a slightly more relaxed summer... Well that is my attitude going in

Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM

35,670 posts, read 53,362,202 times
I don't want to dissuade you or anything, but it's not "slightly" colder. It's a lot colder. As in, we usually have at least a couple days each year where daytime temperatures never reach zero. As in, last year it got cold enough that the lakes near the IL/WI state line froze solid enough that people drove their pickup trucks on them. And for people who move up here and experience "weather shock," often the bigger issue is not the temperatures in winter, it's the duration of winter.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:04 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,817,625 times
Screw it all winter is OVER. We had enough of this talk November through March. Can we stop talking about this crap until at least October?

Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM

725 posts, read 1,200,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Screw it all winter is OVER. We had enough of this talk November through March. Can we stop talking about this crap until at least October?

Hell yeah! This drizzly 40 degree weather today is a dream compared to February.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:40 PM

44 posts, read 128,638 times
I left Chicago last year, mostly because of the weather....This weekend I took a trip to Louisville to visit a friend who had also left Chicago (for other reasons)... Anyway, we couldnt resist not taking a drive to Chicago....It was hot all through KY and IN and when we got off 90/94 we opened the window and any icy blast blew in!!!! lol I considered myself such a hardy individual when I lived there (and yes, I remember when 45 degrees felt downright balmy( but I just couldnt hang this time around...
I never noticed how grey it really was in Chicago... even a day with full sun looks grey... It took me moving all the way to the deep, deep South near the Gulf of Mexico to realise that....
It was actually so depressing to us that we dropped our plans to go party and went to bed.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago