Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 10:05 AM

319 posts, read 279,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
We have become HUGE fans of classical music....lately.
"Alexa" - LOUDER!
Our inconsiderate neighbores eschew carpets, rugs, runners, too. Zero insulation between the floors. 3 tots running around, often screaming.
Sigh...and this used to be our sanctuary.

BTW, the monthly assessments on the high rises are outtasight. $700++ is considered a low HOA. No thanks.
"... 3 tots running around, often screaming."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 12:59 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Maybe the answer is a retirement community of sorts, perhaps an over-55 housing development?
Or maybe a bungalow in the outer part of the city, or a house on a bigger lot in the suburbs? In my experience, having to hear other people (yes, even from within your own residence) is just a normal part of living in any relatively dense urban area.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:33 AM

1,022 posts, read 773,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Or maybe a bungalow in the outer part of the city, or a house on a bigger lot in the suburbs? In my experience, having to hear other people (yes, even from within your own residence) is just a normal part of living in any relatively dense urban area.
it doesnt have to be that way. I have lived in places that were extremely quiet. Sadly though it seems that it never lasts as after a few years or more eventually someone will move in that will destroy that peace for everyone!

Old 02-17-2019, 11:05 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
I hear your frustration. My upstairs neighbor likes to get up early and work-out before her commute, and frequently (accidentally....) drops her hand weights on the floor. Not my preferred alarm clock, or the time I'd like to get up! And my next door neighbor leaves her dog at home cooped up all day and the dog barks all morning. What can you do? Almost nothing. I rent in a well maintained condo building, just outside the city.

I think you need to decide what your true priorities are. You can't have everything, unfortunately, at your price point.

High rise buildings tend to be much, much quieter than 100 year old buildings like yours. But they are often more expensive if you want a comparable amount of space.

I'd either look for a modest 1 bedroom in an older high rise, if you want to be near the lake. Or compromise and choose a more affordable neighborhood off the lakefront, maybe near a park you can run around or a high school that has a track. You don't need to be running on the lake.

I agree with others that it may be time to move out of the city proper if you really can't deal with noise, but even that isn't a guarantee. Agree looking for more senior oriented apartments. I'd even consider renting rather than buying, to give yourself more freedom. Renting in a condo building has given me slightly better neighbor experiences than renting in a 100% rental building.

Are there other things that you take advantage of that keep you in the city?

Because honestly, at your age (or any age), it really isn't safe running outside in this city for these long winter months anyway. It is so easy to fall on wet/snowy/icy sidewalks, and then your life can change for ever .... in one instant.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 12,371 times
You need a building with concrete construction, which solves noise issues between floors, and one that will allow you to retrofit necessary walls with soundproofing, like this: https://www.soundproofchicago.com

I'm leaving my current condo in a month, but if I were staying, I would definitely use some contractors like the above to soundproof between my bedroom and my neighbor's because she as inconsiderate tool who loves to blast music between 2-5am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago