U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 05:59 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,344,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Blackhawks/Bulls
Cicero/Berwyn
NW side/SW side (Bungalow Belt)
If you offer Cicero/Berwyn, I get to pitch in Evanston/Oak Park.....what they share in common is extensive....so you get one for the north and one for the west on this one.

Bungalow Belt....Good one!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 AM

8,279 posts, read 10,329,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
If you offer Cicero/Berwyn, I get to pitch in Evanston/Oak Park.....what they share in common is extensive....so you get one for the north and one for the west on this one.

Bungalow Belt....Good one!!
I actually thought of Oak Park and Evanston, but Oak Park lacks a college scene, so I decided against it..

How about Hyde Park/Evanston?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:52 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,344,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I actually thought of Oak Park and Evanston, but Oak Park lacks a college scene, so I decided against it..

How about Hyde Park/Evanston?
Evanston gets NU and the lake. Oak Park gets FLW and coose access to the Loop.

And, yes, I am in full agreement with you: if the question is “what place best fits in with Ev and OP...it would definitely be Hyde Park..even with it being a neighborhood, not municipality

Old 02-12-2019, 09:53 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,563,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Double the murders
Twice the real estate tax
Corruption on top of corruption
People leaving (left foot, right foot)
Two governors in prison at once
Twice as many mayoral candidates
Double the commute time
H.H. Holmes
Deep wind chill PLUS heavy snow
But the Good News is: Deep dish, Thin crust
Looking at your post, Positive energetic people who accomplish something, negative idiots who should leave town and take their negativity with them.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:53 PM

2,583 posts, read 863,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Looking at your post, Positive energetic people who accomplish something, negative idiots who should leave town and take their negativity with them.
So when are you going? I can give you a lift to the airport if you want.

I was born in Chicago, but avoid it like the plague today. But I will make an exception in your case, if it helps you. That negativity is born of experience, by the way. Is anything I listed incorrect?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:25 PM

4,095 posts, read 7,867,938 times
Harvey, Maywood

Riverdale( suburb), Riverdale (Chicago community area)

Englewood, West Englewood

North Lawndale, South Lawndale

South Loop, West Loop

Pullman, West Pullman

Old 02-13-2019, 06:12 AM

2,337 posts, read 912,942 times
Yin DOES exist with Yang... Curly Q. Bobalink says they are originally from Chicago, and I'd have to say that most of the points Bobalink made ARE accurate. If those things existed/exist, you can't deny the facts... But I think, Bobalink, your points (except for perhaps the last one on pizza) don't exactly have a "fun" tone. And I think people were just trying to have fun with points of Chicago that they enjoyed. (Ex: I mentioned the different type of ethnic food flair based on the 2 sides of town)... Out of curiosity, besides the pizza, what if anything were the points of Chicago you DID like/enjoy, when you lived here?- Have a great day, everyone!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 02-13-2019, 06:57 AM

2,339 posts, read 1,361,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Harvey, Maywood

Riverdale( suburb), Riverdale (Chicago community area)

Englewood, West Englewood

North Lawndale, South Lawndale

South Loop, West Loop

Pullman, West Pullman
-Hazel Crest, East Hazel Crest
-East Dundee, West Dundee
-Orland Hills, Orland Park
-Riverside, North Riverside
-LaGrange, LaGrange Park
-Oak Brook, Oak Brook Terrace
-East Garfield Park, West Garfield Park

Old 02-13-2019, 09:30 AM

1,199 posts, read 827,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
They do pair incidentally. I think you're joking, but in case you aren't.
Bulls:
https://www.nba.com/bulls/news/behind_the_name.html

Bears:
"In 1921, the Decatur Staleys, a charter member of the American Professional Football Association, moved to Chicago and kept their nickname, a nod to the team’s sponsor, the Staley Starch Company. When star player George Halas purchased the team the following year, he decided to change the nickname. Chicago played its home games at Wrigley Field, home of baseball’s Cubs, and Halas opted to stick with the ursine theme."

How All 32 NFL Teams Got Their Names | Mental Floss
Yes, I kid. Though those are hot rumors.

I used to do some work for A.E. Staley, and have been to their HQ in Decatur. That city is a dump, but they have a cool, historic art-deco style building where they maintain their offices at the front of their large plant. They love their history, as they should.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:42 AM

1,199 posts, read 827,868 times
I can't stand the people who bash Chicago and Illinois while still living here. Some may say, "but I can't leave because of my job/kids/friends/family/schools".

Hmmm, if a place has a good job for you, family around, friends nearby, schools you don't want to rip your kids out of, maybe it's not such a bad place.

Otherwise, just leave already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago