Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,117,791 times

Advertisements

Growing up in NWI there were a decent amount of Eastern European immigrants. Went to school with a decent amount first or second generations immigrants from mostly Balkan countries - Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia, Bosnia, Greece. You’ll see a lot of Eastern Orthodox churches in Lake County, particularly in the southern part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 AM

4,611 posts, read 3,159,543 times
Bluefox, good to hear from you. Over the years I began taking different routes from Milwaukee to Chicago, to mix up the driving routine and scenery. And when you come south bound on Milwaukee Avenue (Highway 21), at the north end of the village of Libertyville, there is a Serbian Church and Cemetery. I believe it is called St. Sava's... And on the northwest outskirts of Chicago, I believe on Cumberland avenue in Norridge (help me out guys if my direction is off) there is a most unique and beautiful eastern European church on the west end of the street! Have a great day- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 02-25-2019, 06:22 AM

One of my backgrounds is Croatian. Years ago I set out to find the Croatian areas of Chicago. The first one I came across was the Croatian Cultural Center on Devon and California. I was amazed to see that there was so many Indian and Jewish and Pakistani stores long that street, because I was not at that time very versed in the different Chicago neighborhoods. Also, there is a Croatian Church, I believe, on Devon and Ridge. So I can only deduce that prior to the Indian and Pakistani residents, and prior to the Jewish residents (which I understand were mainly from areas like North Lawndale and Garfield Park), that that area must have had a lot of Croatians... The area that I am more familiar with is in southern Armour Square, blended in with Italians, Sicilians, and now Chinese). The main church is St. Jerome's School/church on Princeton Avenue. I have been blessed, since although non-parishioners from Milwaukee, the last couple of years they have allowed my 3 children to carry Croatian flags, and walk in their Velika Gospa parade which is held every August 15th! Another very dear area and people of Chicago, to me!... The only other area with Croatians that I know of, and is only from reading, is on the far south and east side neighborhood known as Eastside.... So it sounds like the Croatians settled on the far north, the pretty far south, and smack dab ion the middle, areas of Chicago. Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 02-25-2019, 06:54 AM

7,123 posts, read 4,960,893 times
Jefferson Park was originally built & settled by Volga Deutsch a century ago. The first generation Americans born there & raised during The Depression learned English in grammar school. Chicago public schools usually conducted primary grade classes in English as well as the prevalent language of the neighborhood up until the 40s or so. The neighborhood lost its ethnic character as the WWII vets moved their families to the suburbs in the 50s -60s.

Little Sicily broke apart as an ethnic neighborhood as the city began to build Cabrini-Green in the 40s. With small apartments not amenable to the larger Italian families, the Sicilians moved out toward Harlem Ave. ..That's how my maternal grandparents wound up with their nine kids in Jefferson Park in 1943-- where my paternal grandparents were among a group of Volga Deutsch on the block who got up a petition asking that they leave (There goes the neighborhood.) They rescinded when they saw that Nonna was the first out with the Monday morning wash on the line every week.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:14 AM

guidoLaMoto, what a great historical AND personal story! Thank you so much for sharing! Jefferson Park is a great area and so is that stretch along Harlem! Reading your story took me back to the sometimes hard times, and yet good 'ol times! Enjoy the day!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 02-25-2019, 08:47 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,840,255 times
With the GI Bill of 1944, most of the returning vets (WW2, Korean War) look to the newly-founded suburban developments, and leave the old ethnic neighborhoods behind. This would continue into the 1950s and 1960s, and was truly a nationwide phenomenon..

After all, they had to give their new children, the baby boomers, a place to run around, and do all the things kids do..

Old 02-25-2019, 08:58 AM

886 posts, read 646,368 times
My grandparents came to Chicago from Poland about 1913. They lived in Pilsen until the moved to central WI to farm in 1918. I know when they lived in Pilsen they were in an area that was heavily Polish.
As a kid I grew up in Rogers Park in the late 50s-through 70s. Although my mom was there until she died in 2006. A lot of Irish and Jewish people lived there when I was a kid. I was half Polish and that was rare. My dad was German and Irish and that was much more common.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:39 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,759,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
To a lesser extent, there were smaller Italian populations in Bridgeport and Englewood as well, although those were somewhat integrated.

Also good call on whoever mentioned Addison. I think there’s still some there and some have gone west into Roselle and Bloomingdale.

Did anyone mention Cicero? I think most of the Italian population there has moved out.

There’s still large Polish populations near both airports. Some of the South Side Polish have also settled in Burbank, Lemont and Orland Park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
My grandparents came to Chicago from Poland about 1913. They lived in Pilsen until the moved to central WI to farm in 1918. I know when they lived in Pilsen they were in an area that was heavily Polish.
As a kid I grew up in Rogers Park in the late 50s-through 70s. Although my mom was there until she died in 2006. A lot of Irish and Jewish people lived there when I was a kid. I was half Polish and that was rare. My dad was German and Irish and that was much more common.
Rogers Park’s Jewish/irish mix on the North Side was parallel to South Shore’s Jewish/Irish mix on the South Side

Old 02-27-2019, 12:13 PM

872 posts, read 605,035 times
One ethnic group which was also present in South Shore were the Greeks. There was a Greek Orthodox Church located on Stony Island Avenue and 76th Street: Sts. Constantine and Helen. This church relocated to the south suburbs during the 1970s, when South Shore was undergoing racial resegregation.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,775,040 times
The bottom line is, outside of maybe NYC, you won’t find the range, diversity, and large numbers of European ethnic groups/population and associated enclaves that you will find in Chicago/Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago