Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,758,560 times

Advertisements

This thread is about European ethnic groups in Chicago. Why European? They are the ones with the deepest roots and longest histories of peoples who emigrated to America. Certainly going back at least to the second half of the 19th century.

Chicago is a mosaic of ethnic groups, but the following are some (not all) of what I would consider major ethnic groups in numbers and influence on the city:

irish, Italians, Germans, Poles, Jews, Greeks, Swedes

As I said, not a totally inclusive list, but each of the groups above are the kind I was thinking of: large enough to have had a path of settlement that took them from one part of the city to another and then on to the suburbs.

Do you have insight on any of these groups (or others) that you'd like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 02:57 PM

872 posts, read 604,722 times
Until the Baby Boom (1946 and later), Chicago had 5 neighborhoods which were fairly close to downtown that had a sizeable Italian population.

1) Near North Side. This is the area which later became the nucleus of Cabrini-Green. Most Italians in this area were either Northern or from Sicily.

2) Near Northwest Side. Centered near Grand Ave., from Halsted to Western. Many of these Italians were from Bari.

3) Near West Side. The largest and most diverse of the old Italian neighborhoods. A mixture of people from Calabria, Naples, and Sicily. This is the area that was decimated by UIC on its east end and the IL Medical District on its west. Urban renewal (people removal) at its worst.

4) Near Southwest Side. This is the Heart of Chicago area, which borders Pilsen. Many of the Italians here were Northern, particularly from Tuscany.

5) Near South Side. This is now Chinatown, but there are still some long term Italians living on the residential side streets. These Italians were mainly Sicilians or from Naples, especially Ricigiliano province. Other Italians affectionately referred to them as 'Ridgies.'

Old 02-23-2019, 04:32 PM

4,611 posts, read 3,158,072 times
NearWest, impressive, my friend! Although I'm not Italian (I'm Mexican and Croatian), I made it my bucket list a few years ago to discover all of Chicago's "Little Italys." The area you mention on the Southside just south of Chinatown has a beautiful blend of Italians and Croatians. As I've mentioned in other posts, the Tuscan settled are of 24th and Oakley is dear to me, as well, for its Father's Day celebration. .. my research tells me that there was also a settlement of Italians in the Roseland neighborhood, which has since shifted in its ethnicity. Thank you for sharing! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 02-24-2019, 07:41 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,758,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
Until the Baby Boom (1946 and later), Chicago had 5 neighborhoods which were fairly close to downtown that had a sizeable Italian population.

1) Near North Side. This is the area which later became the nucleus of Cabrini-Green. Most Italians in this area were either Northern or from Sicily.

2) Near Northwest Side. Centered near Grand Ave., from Halsted to Western. Many of these Italians were from Bari.

3) Near West Side. The largest and most diverse of the old Italian neighborhoods. A mixture of people from Calabria, Naples, and Sicily. This is the area that was decimated by UIC on its east end and the IL Medical District on its west. Urban renewal (people removal) at its worst.

4) Near Southwest Side. This is the Heart of Chicago area, which borders Pilsen. Many of the Italians here were Northern, particularly from Tuscany.

5) Near South Side. This is now Chinatown, but there are still some long term Italians living on the residential side streets. These Italians were mainly Sicilians or from Naples, especially Ricigiliano province. Other Italians affectionately referred to them as 'Ridgies.'
In the suburbs, I end up thinking Melrose Park and Forest Park and maybe River Forest. Certainly more in the west suburbs than in the north or south. In the north burbs, there is only place that comes to mind as being heavily Italian in its day...and famously as the place for Italian restaurants in middle of the North Shore (although not a part of it); that would be Highwood.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:57 AM

edsg25, you are on your "A" game!... Italians also followed Grand Avenue out into Elmwood Park. From my discussions with folks at the Festa Pasta Vino, it is my understanding that some of those residents moved out to the suburb of Addison (although I've never been there, so it goes on my bucket list). And I'm glad you mentioned Highwood! I FINALLY made it there to Green Bay Avenue for a great meal last year!- Have a great day! Master Jay in Milwaukeee

Old 02-24-2019, 08:03 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,847,964 times
The north side used to be heavily German but the Germans have assimilated into generic white people. Two wars against your homeland will do that, I suppose.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:33 AM

chicagobear, years ago when I was researching different areas/neighborhoods of Chicago, I learned that the remaining "German" neighborhood was Lincoln Square. And when I got there, I was told by many in the neighborhood that I was about 10 years late; meaning it was even MORE of a German feel, a good 5-10 years earlier. And THAT is why I was sad when the Brauhaus closed down, because it CERTAINLY was a German staple to the neighborhood. I was lucky to have had some experiences with eating potato pancakes there, as well as a quite elderly woman with a lot of spunk pulling me onto the polka dance floor! They still have the DANKhaus, a tavern, etc. And it is one of my FAVORITE Chicago neighborhoods! Enjoy the day!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 02-24-2019, 08:43 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,847,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
chicagobear, years ago when I was researching different areas/neighborhoods of Chicago, I learned that the remaining "German" neighborhood was Lincoln Square. And when I got there, I was told by many in the neighborhood that I was about 10 years late; meaning it was even MORE of a German feel, a good 5-10 years earlier. And THAT is why I was sad when the Brauhaus closed down, because it CERTAINLY was a German staple to the neighborhood. I was lucky to have had some experiences with eating potato pancakes there, as well as a quite elderly woman with a lot of spunk pulling me onto the polka dance floor! They still have the DANKhaus, a tavern, etc. And it is one of my FAVORITE Chicago neighborhoods! Enjoy the day!- Master Jay in Milwaukee
Not very many Swedes in Andersonville or Bohemians in Pilsen any more either.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:24 AM

chicagobear, you are right about that, Sir. Changing of ethnicities in neighborhoods is just a way of life. but I would still love to jump into a time machine, say 50 years, and see these neighborhoods when they were predominately Italian, German, Swedish, etc. I read about it, and you get an idea when you go to the neighborhoods and see the traces of its heritage in the style of buildings, or their ethnic museums they create to share the history, etc. But it would be neat, I think, to actually see it! Have a great day- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 02-24-2019, 11:44 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,147,300 times
To a lesser extent, there were smaller Italian populations in Bridgeport and Englewood as well, although those were somewhat integrated.

Also good call on whoever mentioned Addison. I think there’s still some there and some have gone west into Roselle and Bloomingdale.

Did anyone mention Cicero? I think most of the Italian population there has moved out.

There’s still large Polish populations near both airports. Some of the South Side Polish have also settled in Burbank, Lemont and Orland Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago