U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 PM

905 posts, read 1,800,345 times
Default media jobs in chicago?

Hallo.

I've recently, somewhat unfortunately, lost my job. I'm trying to view it as a positive, in a way, 'cause I do have some money saved up and I was starting to get sick of it anyway.....in any case, I was wondering if there are any websites or resources or places I should go to find media/journalism jobs in Chicago? Could I possibly find some? What are the city's best job resources, generally (aside from the obvious craigslist, monstertrak, journalismjobs.com, etc)?

I'm gonna give it a couple of months and see if I can find something, the market for this stuff seems to be better in my hometown (NYC), but I haven't been in Chicago for very long and I'd like to at least give it a chance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,529,331 times
I have nothing to help you with, because, obviously, I don't know any great resources since you know I'm working 7 days a week. Also, when my computer crashed a few months ago, I lost all of the jobby links that I had on my favorites.

I just want to say that sucks, man.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:27 PM

35,926 posts, read 55,158,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Hallo.

I've recently, somewhat unfortunately, lost my job. . .
WTF... didn't you just get here?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 PM

12,062 posts, read 18,408,616 times
I am so sorry man. What a freakin bummer. I don't have a lot to offer, other than I was glancing around on careerbuilder.com recently and there seemed to be a decent number of options in internal communications. May not be exactly what you're looking for, but certainly worth checking out.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,398,368 times
That sucks. The only thing I can think of off hand is to visit each and every newspaper,TV, and Radio website and check their career/job sections.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
WTF... didn't you just get here?
Yep. About three months ago.

My company was sort of disproportionately impacted by the recent economic downturn, let's just leave it at that.

Like I said, I was getting tired of it anyway and was starting to think about searching out other opportunities. So that's what I'm gonna do. Worst-case scenario, I can't find anything, find someone to take over my lease, sell my furniture and head home and do more freelance stuff. Which would kind of suck, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM

249 posts, read 355,051 times
The shrinking Tribune and Sun Times Newsgroup has really put the squeeze on print journalism jobs in Chicago -- because the Sun-Times owns almost every daily and weekly in the suburbs, and the Tribune owns Chicago magazine, etc., the effect of those two operations has a pretty chilling effect on the market as a whole. The recent bloodletting at Channel 2 could have been considered a workplace-specific event, but WLS AM 890 made deep cuts a couple of months ago in their news operations, so the electronic side is far from untouched. When I was booted out of the newspaper business a few years ago (belated thanks, Mr. Conrad Black, you *****!) I ended up taking it as a sign to find a new career. That said, here is one source that may be of help: JobFile (http://www.headlineclub.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=14042 - broken link)

Old 04-12-2008, 08:35 AM

14 posts, read 77,099 times
I just got a job... and I start Monday. So here is my advice: don't put too much stock in the massive job search websites. You're better off going to the Career pages of well known Media/Communications firms and applying right there. I probably applied to 100+ jobs on Monster and Careerbuilder combined and I got very few responses. I applied to 4 firms from their websites and got 3 responses - much better odds.

Check out: Starcom Mediavest, Tribune Company, and other big conglomerates located around the city.

Good luck!!

Old 04-12-2008, 12:59 PM

Any other media cos located in Chicago? I'd strongly prefer downtown, or at least somewhere easily PT-accessible, but if I have to I'll buy a car and reverse commute. The last post seems like a good advice, and I agree with you, though I think some websites are better than others (I found my last job on journalismjobs.com).

As for the problems at the Trib and Sun-Times, I heard about that and it doesn't bother me much. I'm not really looking at print journalism, you have to jump through ninety-seven hoops to get the few jobs that are available and, sadly, there's not much future in it. It's not where my experience lies, either.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:45 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
...I'm not really looking at print journalism, you have to jump through ninety-seven hoops to get the few jobs that are available and, sadly, there's not much future in it. It's not where my experience lies, either.
Where does your experience lie then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago