Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the grouping suggested here: East Coast, Chicago, West Coast
Yes, I would group exactly the same way 5 22.73%
Yes, Chicago belongs but perhaps a few other areas do as well 2 9.09%
Chicago is similar to the conflated east & west coasts, but doesn't really belong with them 4 18.18%
Chicago doesn't belong with the east/west coast cities at all, despite some similarities 2 9.09%
Chicago doesn't belong. Period. Full stop. 7 31.82%
Chicago doesn't belong....but a few other cities might 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 06:51 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm fairly sure nobody got my point here.

What I suggested is that Chicago alone belongs with these cities that we tag with the name "coastal" to mean a type of location. And that was the definition I was using was the one that is seen, from a power perspective and innate qualities, to be from Washington to Boston, as well as Los Angeles to San Francisco.

I did mention that only six cities seem to come up every time when asked "what are the global, major cities in the United States: Boston, New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco come up more than any other. I noticed that on threads here on C/D as well.
I think the reason nobody "got your point" here is that you're (I guess) conflating coastal and global, with some obvious omissions of non-coastal, global cities (e.g., Toronto, Dallas, Mexico City, Houston, Atlanta [arguably]), and without the obvious counter argument that coastal doesn't equate to global (e.g., Bangor, ME, or Savannah, GA, or Astoria, OR).

I guess if your question is "Does Chicago belong with a group of coastal elite cities that are globally renowned and key players in the global economy?" the answer is undoubtedly yes.

Is Chicago the only U.S. or even North American city that belongs in a grouping with LA, SF, NY, Boston, and DC (which is not really on the coast) in terms of national and international power? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 05:24 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Chicago is different from and really doesn't belong with the east coast (northeast corridor). Chicago is also different and doesn't belong with the west coast (definitely Calif from LA to SF, possibly Seattle).

But, I think, Chicago very much does belong with the combo of East and West coasts and my paradigm sees not as a pair but a trio: East Coast, Chicago, West Coast

Disagree. Chicago is very similar and fits extremely well with the Northeast cities (Philly, Boston, and New York). I've lived in Philly (briefly) and Chicago is very similar. The neighborhood-centric city qualities, large number of historic ethnic enclaves, bar/sports culture, large Catholic presence, extensive public transportation (including the look/feel of the L at both subway and neighborhood levels), large, bustling financial district (Loop for Chicago), tons of high rises and brownstones/greystones, a large authentic Chinatown, large Hispanic/African American/white ethnic (Polish, Irish, Italian, Ukranian, Greek, etc) populations, cold weather, I could keep going on.....

That's why shows like Chicago Fire and Chicago PD work so well, and you will either find them set in New York or Chicago (Philly and Boston would work for settings too). Chicago like the NE cities is tough, gritty, but also big, cosmopolitan, and bustling. Chicago very much could be a NE city.

Chicago is nothing like a west coast major city.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:43 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Disagree. Chicago is very similar and fits extremely well with the Northeast cities (Philly, Boston, and New York). I've lived in Philly (briefly) and Chicago is very similar. The neighborhood-centric city qualities, large number of historic ethnic enclaves, bar/sports culture, large Catholic presence, extensive public transportation (including the look/feel of the L at both subway and neighborhood levels), large, bustling financial district (Loop for Chicago), tons of high rises and brownstones/greystones, a large authentic Chinatown, large Hispanic/African American/white ethnic (Polish, Irish, Italian, Ukranian, Greek, etc) populations, cold weather, I could keep going on.....

That's why shows like Chicago Fire and Chicago PD work so well, and you will either find them set in New York or Chicago (Philly and Boston would work for settings too). Chicago like the NE cities is tough, gritty, but also big, cosmopolitan, and bustling. Chicago very much could be a NE city.

Chicago is much more similar to Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and St. Louis than anything in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic—demographically, historically, and otherwise. Chicago is a hell of a lot colder than Philadelphia or New York.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Chicago is much more similar to Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and St. Louis than anything in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic—demographically, historically, and otherwise. Chicago is a hell of a lot colder than Philadelphia or New York.
I disagree. Chicago is much more similar to the NE cities on all accounts than the Midwest cities you listed, but that is a different topic than this thread (and has been discussed before). Back to my initial post (and this thread topic), Chicago fits well with and is very similar to the NE cities.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:03 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
I disagree. Chicago is much more similar to the NE cities on all accounts than the Midwest cities you listed, but that is a different topic than this thread (and has been discussed before). Back to my initial post (and this thread topic), Chicago fits well with and is very similar to the NE cities.
I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that you aren't a Chicago or Midwest native. I also get the feeling that you haven't spent much time traveling to other Midwestern cities and getting to know them. Many of the traits of Chicago that you say match Northeastern cities are also traits that other Midwestern cities have as well.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:15 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:

I agree Chicago could be a Northeastern city and similarities to Philly in early European Ethnic neighborhoods and large Catholic presence. But the LOOKS of the city's, housing and street-level built. Differs much IMO.

Philly traits

- a narrower street-grid overall and tight corner intersections
- even much narrower Center City streets and thru most of the city
- predominately America's row-housing city officially 60% of the city.
- much higher if its more suburban-like northwest/nether tier was excluded.
- no standard green-frontage set-backs of its housing to the curbs and streets.
- neighborhoods of no alleyways came and it became just a walkway to tiny yards.
- many streets got even further sub-divided to alley-sized streets like Chicago's oldest.
- Philly continued row-housing well pasty ww2 and today's infill is attached predominately
- power-line poles visible in fronts as common in the east overall and even our sunbelt cities.
- no city-wide monthly street-sweeper service as Chicago, CC has private firms businesses pay for.

Everything has exceptions as to say each city has some of this or that.

Chicago has

- its premier vibrant Parks as its downtown front lawn.
- no Colonial era or look neighborhoods at all you would find.
- Loop and other core streets even wider then Center City Philly's.
- row-housing make up the smallest % of its housing of any city nationally.
- no full blocks of true row-housing on both sides even close as found in Philly.
- homes can be inches apart in older neighborhoods, yet not attached as most infill.
- a pretty standard green-frontage for all its neighborhoods off of the city's main streets.
- a Bungalow-belt built era 1/3 the city to bungalow-type 40s-60s neighborhoods on city-sized lots.
- ALLEYS STANDARD as no other city has more at 1,900 miles in 90% of the city many lined with garages.
- the ugly power-grid and poles run in its full alley network that clears fronts for a more un-blemished look.

You won't find block after block of theses in Chicago

Philly blocks

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9834...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9190...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9255...7i13312!8i6656

Nor will you find block after block of these in Philly.

in Chicago blocks

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9356...7i16384!8i8192 (if attached like rows)

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9229...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9350...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-05-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I agree Chicago could be a Northeastern city and similarities to Philly in early European Ethnic neighborhoods and large Catholic presence. But the LOOKS of the city's, housing and street-level built. Differs much IMO.

Philly traits

- a narrower street-grid overall and tight corner intersections
- even much narrower Center City streets and thru most of the city
- predominately America's row-housing city officially 60% of the city.
- much higher if its more suburban-like northwest/nether tier was excluded.
- no standard green-frontage set-backs of its housing to the curbs and streets.
- neighborhoods of no alleyways came and it became just a walkway to tiny yards.
- many streets got even further sub-divided to alley-sized streets like Chicago's oldest.
- Philly continued row-housing well pasty ww2 and today's infill is attached predominately
- power-line poles visible in fronts as common in the east overall and even our sunbelt cities.
- no city-wide monthly street-sweeper service as Chicago, CC has private firms businesses pay for.

Everything has exceptions as to say each city has some of this or that.

Chicago has

- its premier vibrant Parks as its downtown front lawn.
- no Colonial era or look neighborhoods at all you would find.
- Loop and other core streets even wider then Center City Philly's.
- row-housing make up the smallest % of its housing of any city nationally.
- no full blocks of true row-housing on both sides even close as found in Philly.
- homes can be inches apart in older neighborhoods, yet not attached as most infill.
- a pretty standard green-frontage for all its neighborhoods off of the city's main streets.
- a Bungalow-belt built era 1/3 the city to bungalow-type 40s-60s neighborhoods on city-sized lots.
- ALLEYS STANDARD as no other city has more at 1,900 miles in 90% of the city many lined with garages.
- the ugly power-grid and poles run in its full alley network that clears fronts for a more un-blemished look.

You won't find block after block of theses in Chicago

Philly blocks

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9834...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9190...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9255...7i13312!8i6656

Nor will you find block after block of these in Philly.

in Chicago blocks

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9356...7i16384!8i8192 (if attached like rows)

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9229...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9350...7i16384!8i8192
I have always said that it really depends on what part of the city you are talking about, in regards to housing stock. The googlemaps images that you show as "Chicago blocks" is only one part of the city. I could just as easily show the following images and describe them as "Chicago blocks," which look completely different than what you showed and are more reminiscent of NE cities:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9319...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9211...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8732...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8716...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9399...7i16384!8i8192

Again, it just depends on what part of the city you are in. Although, I can concede that there are several parts of the city that do look more "Midwestern," such as the images you showed.

Chicago is clearly a Midwestern city (there is no way to change geography). I was just responding to the theme of the initial post that it could be (or shares a lot of qualities) with the major NE cities (it has hardly any similarities to the major West Coast cities).

Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that you aren't a Chicago or Midwest native. I also get the feeling that you haven't spent much time traveling to other Midwestern cities and getting to know them. Many of the traits of Chicago that you say match Northeastern cities are also traits that other Midwestern cities have as well.
You are correct. I am not a Chicago/Midwest native (I am from the east coast originally). I am very familiar with St. Louis and have decent familiarity with Detroit. I guess as an outsider who has now lived in Chicago for several years, I just do not see these huge similarities between St. Louis/Detroit and Chicago. To me Chicago seems so different than other Midwestern cities, although maybe that is due to not understanding the nuances of Midwestern culture. Whereas I see several similarities between Chicago and northeast cities. Although, that could be because I am looking at it through my mid-Atlantic/ East Coast lens.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:39 PM

629 posts, read 543,458 times
Chicago is MOST similar to Toronto, Canada

It is nothing like the older east coast cities or the car centric west coast major cities

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-05-2019 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Rude comment.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:15 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Good day, all. I am by NO MEANS a worldly traveler. 16 years ago I took a train to San Francisco where I spent one week. Despite being part Mexican-American, I have been to Mexico 2 times in my life. For a training as a Social Worker, I spent a week in South Carolina... Otherwise, my travels consist of my many trips between Milwaukee and Chicago Certainly over my years I have had exposure to either visitors to my hometown, or my home away from home hometown!... I think of Milwaukee as Chicago's little sibling. For me, I think Chicago is blessed with an abundance of diversity, energy, and history. I understand it may not be everybody's kind of city. And that's ok, because that TOO is the beauty of diversity!...Maybe I lived in Chicago in a past life or something (if you believe in re-incarnation). But I have never felt like an outsider. I have always been treated with respect and felt welcome. Then again, that is exactly how I have always treated everyone when I am the visitor there. Respect and kindness can go a long way, and they make strong lasting impressions. Have a great day, city-data.commers!- Master Jay in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago