Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 05:26 AM

19 posts, read 7,177 times

Advertisements

A copy and paste from David Earl Williams III post election update.

Dear Fellow Neighbor,

This past Monday, it was the city of Chicago’s 182nd birthday. Although it’s riddled with corruption in city hall (gradually changing), the People, its neighborhoods and the pizza is great! Once again, I thank everybody who voted for me, donated, hosted my meet & greets, shares on social media and messages of support. As long as I live in the 48th ward, I plan on staying involve locally to help make this community better! I also appreciate those of you who did reach out to Harry Osterman recently trying to convince him to vote against the construction of the Police academy in West Garfield Park. He did tell a few of us that he wanted to wait on to see who becomes Mayor before he makes his choice. That’s just him having no spine as usual. It’s insensitive to vote in favor of the police academy in a predominately Black neighborhood that has faced police brutality constantly in the past. I believe that the residents of West Garfield park should be the ones to decide on how to use the $95 million. It’s time to let them control their own destiny and invest back into the community as they see fit.

Speaking of community – when the issue of gentrification and community development came up during my aldermanic run, I told voters those two are entirely different things. Community development aims at bettering the area for existing resident. Gentrification aims to replace them. Fast forward, the people I saw complaining about gentrification continuing in the 48th ward can not be shocked when the few of them helped re-elect my opponent. It’s heartbreaking when you see a low income building being torn down (6300 N. Winthrop) to be only replaced by a student dormitory that will bring no form of property tax revenue, while the surrounding properties will have to make up for it. Osterman’s office wants to boast about 5 tech jobs through Loyola being available. “I am sure all 34,000 registered voters in the 48th ward are qualified for those positions and will make up for it.” That last sentence is sarcasm if you didn’t notice. Don’t think Loyola University land grab ends there. The Sovereign apartment complex located at 1040 W Granville Ave, Chicago, IL 60660 is next up on the list too. For the next 4 years get use to seeing those small businesses and low income housing disappear in favor of big developers and special interest. That is - if we sit idly by allowing that to happen...

One of my campaign platforms was rent control. It’s good to see most Chicagoan's want the 1997 Rent Control ban lifted. As I said during the campaign, “Lower property taxes and implement Rent Control.” We live in a beautiful city that is becoming ever so difficult to keep up with the rents/mortgage. The state of Illinois has lost 46,000 people from 2017-2018. We’re losing families and jobs at the expense of sloth, incompetence and lack of representation in all levels of government. Once the ban is lifted, it is up to us to hold our city council accountable to implement this locally. This city belongs to us, the working people - we build it up through our labor and we run it.

Thank you Edgewater Historical Society for adding my 2019 Aldermanic campaign literature/yard sign to their museum. I am honored to be apart of this diverse community history and look forward to contributing more in the future.

For those interested, a new campaign office for Lori Lightfoot has opened up right in Edgewater located at 5409 N. Broadway. I’ll be there this Saturday, March 9th to assist in helping push the vote for her to become our next mayor. Unlike some people, remaining neutral (Osterman) is not an option when it comes to our future. By the way, as we all know politics can get dirty at times. If you want to know the claims vs FACTS about Lori Lightfoot, please see the link below. Lori will make a great Mayor and let’s make this happen together.

https://lightfootforchicago.com/facts/

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 06:04 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,457 times
Rent control is a terrible idea. Especially with the high property taxes in Chicago. And the numerous cheap rental housing options within 25 minutes of downtown. It's completely unnecessary.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:54 PM

629 posts, read 542,683 times
Rent control would pretty much be the nail in the coffin for this town, amazing how out of touch and ignorant these elected politicians are

Old 03-08-2019, 07:05 PM

650 posts, read 2,516,698 times
Rent control mostly exists in NYC and to some extent DC, San Francisco. I think that says alot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: