Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 04:43 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,804,563 times

Advertisements

What impressed me the most about Miami was how huge the skyscrapers were downtown, and how many of them there were. Every time I've seen pictures of a Miami skyline it looks very lame. But trust me, there are lots of very tall buildings in downtown Miami. Some of them are probably just really tall high rise residential buildings rather than financial ones.

The other impressive feature was how international the city felt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 04:53 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,404,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
What impressed me the most about Miami was how huge the skyscrapers were downtown, and how many of them there were. Every time I've seen pictures of a Miami skyline it looks very lame. But trust me, there are lots of very tall buildings in downtown Miami. Some of them are probably just really tall high rise residential buildings rather than financial ones.

The other impressive feature was how international the city felt.
Miami doesn't not feel American at all, which is what I love about it. Pretty much everyone is either from Latin America or Europe. If I had to guess I would say Americans are a minority by a lot in that city. Americans that are not Latino descent that is.

But it's interesting, you walk around the city proper it's pretty much Latino, you hear spanish everywhere, sometimes brazilian portuguese. On Miami Beach it's that plus french, italian, etc on the streets. It's an interesting place.

A lot of Americans I have met don't like it, but I think that's because it feels so un-American for being in an American city.

Last edited by frimpter928; 04-04-2019 at 05:25 PM..

Old 04-04-2019, 05:09 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,197,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Miami doesn't not feel American at all, which is what I love about it. Pretty much everyone is either from Latin America or Europe. If I had to guess I would say Americans are a minority by a lot in that city. Americans that are Latino descent that is.

But it's interesting, you walk around the city proper it's pretty much Latino, you hear spanish everywhere, sometimes brazilian portuguese. On Miami Beach it's that plus french, italian, etc on the streets. It's an interesting place.

A lot of Americans I have met don't like it, but I think that's because it feels so un-American for being in an American city.
Unfortunately, this is because a lot of US citizens have some strange issue with hearing people speak other languages besides English in their presence, regardless of the mother tongue of individuals speaking to each other.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:24 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,473,040 times
If you speak to native Miamians of Anglo background, especially those that have moved away, their biggest complaint is not about hearing Spanish, it is about the now commonplace requirement that one be able to speak it in order to work or participate in public life. I can appreciate how people, especially older Miamians, could become upset about what feels like a total takeover or invasion by a tight-knit foreign community. Miami was a pathetic southern town not too long ago, but many people liked it that way. If you were to live there as a monolingual Anglo without wealth or connections, I think you would appreciate why people of that demographic are often so unhappy.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:18 PM

232 posts, read 178,372 times
I have a love / hate relationship with Chicago. I been living here for 25+ years now. Grew up in Edgebrook, lived in Bridgeport, then South Loop, and recently moved to Northwest Suburbs.

Love:
- food food food
- cheap public transportation
- diverse neighborhoods
- big city amenities and entertainment (museums, sport teams, etc)
- lakefront

Hate:
- cost of living with high sales tax and ridiculous property tax
- traffic on I-90 / I-94
- construction everywhere
- flat terrain / lack of scenic nature views
- crime (got carjacked, apt broken into, shootings in neighborhood, etc)
- bs political system
- winter!!!!!

I am ready to move but my wife, born and raised in Chicago, refuses to....

Old 04-09-2019, 09:07 AM

629 posts, read 534,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
I have a love / hate relationship with Chicago. I been living here for 25+ years now. Grew up in Edgebrook, lived in Bridgeport, then South Loop, and recently moved to Northwest Suburbs.

Love:
- food food food
- cheap public transportation
- diverse neighborhoods
- big city amenities and entertainment (museums, sport teams, etc)
- lakefront

Hate:
- cost of living with high sales tax and ridiculous property tax
- traffic on I-90 / I-94
- construction everywhere
- flat terrain / lack of scenic nature views
- crime (got carjacked, apt broken into, shootings in neighborhood, etc)
- bs political system
- winter!!!!!

I am ready to move but my wife, born and raised in Chicago, refuses to....
thats a pretty fair list

Old 04-09-2019, 09:22 AM

4,472 posts, read 5,022,904 times
Quote:
I have to agree with the suburbs comment. As amazing as Chicago is a city, with the exceptions of a few, Chicago's suburbs are truly lackluster.
Yes, I think little brother Cleveland's got Chicago in terms of its quality, variety, accessibility and affordability of its burbs.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:59 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,404,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Yes, I think little brother Cleveland's got Chicago in terms of its quality, variety, accessibility and affordability of its burbs.
Is Cleveland a little brother to Chicago? Only really little brother in my book would be Milwaukee.

Cleveland is like a third distant cousin that you never visit nor particularly like.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 AM

4,472 posts, read 5,022,904 times
Quote:
Is Cleveland a little brother to Chicago? Only really little brother in my book would be Milwaukee.

Cleveland is like a third distant cousin that you never visit nor particularly like.
Apparently you've never visited Cleveland, or if you have, you never explored it much. Don't be so arrogant.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:32 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,204,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
It could be or should be. Since both are Great Lakes major cities. But Cleveland looks more Eastward. Reading their forum threads many times. Chicago mentioned does not go well or seen as brother cities there.

Milwaukee is Chicago's mini-me. But brother cities too. Cleveland has its other Ohio cities all. Though not much luv between them it seems.

My impression is Clevelanders feel more they rather be a Eastern city over Midwestern? Of course that will not really happen in reality. They note Cleveland once the "Connecticut Reserve" as a point for its Eastern New England ties.

I doubt few would say Cleveland metro is as expensive as Chicagoland anyway. To even bring up cheaper suburbs and nothing to do with how Chicago endears to many who lived elsewhere for them or moved away and still feel the ties as even just transplants then. I included as seeing that city as a second hometown too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago