U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2019, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Illinois
1,199 posts, read 827,453 times
Reputation: 1453

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Not arguing the beauty of the mountain west or anything and maybe it's the smaller and more globalized world in which we live in 2019, but the Midwest has gotten definitively much MUCH better over the time I've lived here. In fact, i enjoy leaving Chicago for weekends in the summer and see it as a big asset. Detroit has emerged post-bankruptcy to be one of the cooler cities in the entire US and changing dramatically all the time. Tons of interesting and cool things happening there and a sense of optimism. I feel Milwaukee (being almost an extension of Chicago) has gotten much more interesting as well. Cincinnati has absolutely beautiful neighborhood architecture. Madison's a cool and scenic town. Many great getaway spots in MI and WI as well, and up north places like Sleeping Bear are truly gorgeous. sidenote--I'd love to see a high-speed train connecting Chicago on one end with Detroit and then Toronto on the other. Chicago and Toronto aren't that far apart and it would be cool to see these 2 stalwarts and global cities of the Great Lakes (with an improving Detroit) more closely connected.
Completely agree. Been up to Sleeping Bear once - very nice.

You've also got:

Wisconsin Dells
Mackinac Island
Starved Rock
SW coastal Michigan (e.g. Warren Dunes)
SW Michigan wineries
Koehler Spa
Lake Geneva
Galena, IL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2019, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH USA / formerly Chicago for 20 years
3,898 posts, read 6,251,287 times
Reputation: 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
From Chicago, there are several major cities and semi-major cities within 6-7 hours - Indy, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Louisville, maybe Columbus.
You forgot Cincinnati.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2019, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Illinois
1,199 posts, read 827,453 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
You forgot Cincinnati.
Wow, didn't realize how close it was. Only 5 hours!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2019, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
5,590 posts, read 2,654,605 times
Reputation: 6292
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
I wouldn't call any of those cities you mentioned interesting at all... give me Yosemite, or any of the Sierra/Rocky mountain national parks over dumpy towns like St. Louis or Louisville... not to mention the drives are about 50x more scenic than crossing the great plains... either way if you live in a large enough city you can fly to just about anywhere interesting in 2 hours or less
St. Louis and Louisville are “dumpy towns???” You see it all on City Data, lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2019, 08:12 PM
 
625 posts, read 331,100 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
St. Louis and Louisville are “dumpy towns???” You see it all on City Data, lol

yes they are horrible, especially St. Louis
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2019, 08:17 PM
 
625 posts, read 331,100 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Not arguing the beauty of the mountain west or anything and maybe it's the smaller and more globalized world in which we live in 2019, but the Midwest has gotten definitively much MUCH better over the time I've lived here. In fact, i enjoy leaving Chicago for weekends in the summer and see it as a big asset. Detroit has emerged post-bankruptcy to be one of the cooler cities in the entire US and changing dramatically all the time. Tons of interesting and cool things happening there and a sense of optimism. I feel Milwaukee (being almost an extension of Chicago) has gotten much more interesting as well. Cincinnati has absolutely beautiful neighborhood architecture. Madison's a cool and scenic town. Many great getaway spots in MI and WI as well, and up north places like Sleeping Bear are truly gorgeous. sidenote--I'd love to see a high-speed train connecting Chicago on one end with Detroit and then Toronto on the other. Chicago and Toronto aren't that far apart and it would be cool to see these 2 stalwarts and global cities of the Great Lakes (with an improving Detroit) more closely connected.



All this "new and developing" stuff all looks the same... "artisinal coffee", darkly lit overpriced restaurants, Grey wood, edison bulbs, generic art, "craft cocktails", uncomfortable chairs ... bleh no thanks, its literally the same every city you go to... its an effect called "airspace" and is a big part of the 'globalized world' you refer to... here's an interesting article about it


https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/3/12...gentrification


honestly, cities bore me now because of this... and yes I know that there are old unchanged gritty parts of cities if you get out and explore and thats what I like to do whenever I'm in a new city, but a lot of what people "like" and what is popular to do are totally different things
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2019, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Illinois
1,199 posts, read 827,453 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
All this "new and developing" stuff all looks the same... "artisinal coffee", darkly lit overpriced restaurants, Grey wood, edison bulbs, generic art, "craft cocktails", uncomfortable chairs ... bleh no thanks, its literally the same every city you go to... its an effect called "airspace" and is a big part of the 'globalized world' you refer to... here's an interesting article about it


https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/3/12...gentrification


honestly, cities bore me now because of this... and yes I know that there are old unchanged gritty parts of cities if you get out and explore and thats what I like to do whenever I'm in a new city, but a lot of what people "like" and what is popular to do are totally different things

In Chicago, there are still plenty of spots where you DONT see that stuff.

We are moving to one of those spots next month, and I cannot wait. Independent stores and restaurants, old movie theater, brewery, train running above you, bars with friendly bartenders and servers, lights at Christmas, low key vibe. But urban.

No Panda Expresses, BWW or Pier One imports to be found....

But yes, the style mentioned in that article is the "it" style now. Guess what, it'll be something else in 10 years, maybe less. The difference now is that "it" styles can be adopted quickly all around the world.

Last edited by Kmanshouse; 04-11-2019 at 09:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2019, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
317 posts, read 798,782 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

Cleveland Orchestra (considered top 2 with NYC): tops Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Well, that depends on who you ask. Gramophone magazine's critics poll put Chicago #1 in the USA (and #5 in the world), with Cleveland at 2/7 and NY at 5/12:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/editori...est-orchestras

But this kind of ranking is pointless, they're all great ensembles. I do want to visit Cleveland someday, mainly for its first-rate cultural offerings, many of which you outlined in your post. It seems like a great city for a long weekend getaway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 PM
 
6,869 posts, read 14,676,413 times
Reputation: 3265
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
yes they are horrible, especially St. Louis
These are biased, ridiculous statements. Both cities would FLOOR you with activity if you ever actually visited in person, but particularly Louisville with its compact look and growth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2019, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Chicago
6,360 posts, read 7,343,511 times
Reputation: 5755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
These are biased, ridiculous statements. Both cities would FLOOR you with activity if you ever actually visited in person, but particularly Louisville with its compact look and growth.
Peter, I would consider "over dumpy towns like St. Louis or Louisville" to be, by nature, the type of remark that would allow you to dismiss the comment, as well as the writer, from the conversation. "over dumpy towns like St. Louis or Louisville" says far more about the writer than it does about St. Louis or Louisville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top