Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:49 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,153,236 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: reply to post which has been deleted.
The book is an easy read and I'm almost done with it. He breaks down pizzas into categories: tavern, Chicago style, thin, deep dish and then lists several restaurants where he tried these varities (further broken down in one section IN the city, and one section of each kind in suburbs)! And of these, he rates his top 5 of each category. I found it at the Book Cellar in Lincoln Square, but I'm sure most Barnes and Noble and independent stores would have it. ... Enjoy!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-31-2019 at 12:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 05:06 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,241,767 times
Original Home Run Inn somewhere on the south side had a mean thin-ish crust. I've bought the frozen individual ones and the flavor is still there but there is nothing like having a pie right from the source from their dedicated ovens.
Best I ever had as a thin crust is HRI. Best deep = Uno.
I am a NYC and Chicago native, btw.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:48 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,754,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Home Run Inn maybe?
Well, in the same post, I did give them credit. I’m not sure if they have any north locations now (they were Arl Hts but they closed years ago). HRI is more known on the south and west sides,
I don’t know if this counts or not, but I think HRI is known all over as a brand from their frozen pizza supermarket offerings

Old 03-29-2019, 08:53 PM

9,881 posts, read 9,481,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
I feel like people don't get to try our "real" pizza... thin crust.
Due to it being more of a party or group thing.

Visitors just can't order a slice.
They gotta order a whole damn pizza.

Unlike nyc where everyone and their momma orders a slice for a try.

Discuss.

You can easily get a slice of pizza, you have to find a restaurant (maybe on Yelp) that will serve slices. easy.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:05 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,879,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Well, in the same post, I did give them credit. I’m not sure if they have any north locations now (they were Arl Hts but they closed years ago). HRI is more known on the south and west sides,
I don’t know if this counts or not, but I think HRI is known all over as a brand from their frozen pizza supermarket offerings
you are correct, about the supermarket aspect, for sure...since moving out to Arizona, I get a taste for HRI pizza now and then, and a couple of grocery chains out here carry it; we used to enjoy the one in Darien alot, so the frozen is better than nothing, but of course, not the same as fresh..

Old 03-30-2019, 12:06 AM

381 posts, read 343,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
You can easily get a slice of pizza, you have to find a restaurant (maybe on Yelp) that will serve slices. easy.
Proof?

Old 03-30-2019, 03:07 AM

7,600 posts, read 4,501,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Most individual slice pizza I've seen is dried out and does not really keep well under hot lights. There used to or maybe still is a place called Sbarro that sell NY style pizza by the slice I used to get and it was hot fresh and pretty good. Lots of people were buying it so it never sat long. Chicago thin crust does not hold up well.
Look, I know you're probably a very nice person....maybe a bit stressed about something...but you didn't just compare Chicago's finest to some mall chain b*llsh*t. I know you didn't just do that, but I want to make you aware that, to some, it may sound like you did that.

As others have said, a pizza from Lou's is great. My personal thin favorite, Pat's Pizza near Belmont, wasn't there the last time I was and I was rather sad. There's a HRI near Cicero that was very solid, and you could go in for a lunch buffet if not buying the whole pizza is really a priority.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:43 AM

9,881 posts, read 9,481,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Proof?
Renaldi's over in Lakeview by Diversey and Broadway is my fave: https://www.renaldispizza.com

Old 03-30-2019, 11:03 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,225,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Chicago is absolutely an excellent thin crust pizza town. Problem is, when visitors come here, what want is deep dish because, hey, this is Chicago. And in areas where tourists go, the “name places” are virtually all deep dish: Uno/Due, Ginos East, Lou’s

If I were going to recommend where tourists should go...if their group is large enough....is Lou’s. And it would be to order both styles: deep dish, of course, but thin as well because as a plae that bilt its fame and fortune, IMHO Lou’s makes an outstanding thin pizza as well. Further, I find their thin pizzas to be unique: I’ve never had a thin pizza rhat tasted like it

Let me throw in a nontourist question here: as noted,the deep dish places downtown are iconic. And two of them...Lou’s and Ginos have locations throughout both the city and suburbs (while Uno’s only has two restaurants, one block apart...so obvious Inam not counting the mediocre offerings of the franchised locale.

Yet I can not think of any thin places that even come close tonarea wide fame....although regionally both Home Run Inn and Connie’s come to mind.

Am I right orvwrong about no thin place that is high profile and recognized for excellence that covers the whole metro area
Gino's East also makes a really good thin crust pizza.

And OP--given your premise that thin crust is only for groups because it's too big--deep dish alone? Not any easier.

Tourists order deep dish because it's what tourist magazines and marketers talk about.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:13 AM

636 posts, read 603,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Look, I know you're probably a very nice person....maybe a bit stressed about something...but you didn't just compare Chicago's finest to some mall chain b*llsh*t. I know you didn't just do that, but I want to make you aware that, to some, it may sound like you did that.

As others have said, a pizza from Lou's is great. My personal thin favorite, Pat's Pizza near Belmont, wasn't there the last time I was and I was rather sad. There's a HRI near Cicero that was very solid, and you could go in for a lunch buffet if not buying the whole pizza is really a priority.
invoking sbarro as an example of ny pizza is far more egregious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago