U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving from Portland Oregon to Chicago, seeking information on warehouse space in inner west side, close to parks to walk dogs, close to transit

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:41 AM

21,730 posts, read 37,212,462 times

Advertisements

One thing that you may not have considered popped into my head when you said "studio row in Nashville" -- Chicago IS NOT an inexpensive place to work/love. Nashville is place where your money goes A LOT farther. This has some serious implications. There are still a lot people with talents similar to yours here, as Chicago still has a decent sized advertising production community. There are also enough "rap stars" that run their own studios that new competition is probably not all the welcome...

Property taxes can be a killer, the system generally taxes commercial places at a much higher rate than residential -- like triple. This makes live/work space crucial to get proper designation -- Property Tax Calculations | Chicago Artists Resource

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 12:57 PM

725 posts, read 1,256,507 times
I had small dogs growing up, sometimes the snow would be higher than they were and I would have to walk them in tire tracks. I did get them sweaters and they were fine. Akitas will probably be much better suited. Salt in between paw pads isn't fun, though.

The lake is perfectly safe for dogs to swim in. Chicago is a dog-loving city and people take advantage of good weather. I believe there are several dog parks throughout the city that have fountains where dogs could drink.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2008, 02:13 PM

19 posts, read 55,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
One thing that you may not have considered popped into my head when you said "studio row in Nashville" -- Chicago IS NOT an inexpensive place to work/love. Nashville is place where your money goes A LOT farther. This has some serious implications. There are still a lot people with talents similar to yours here, as Chicago still has a decent sized advertising production community. There are also enough "rap stars" that run their own studios that new competition is probably not all the welcome...
Really when I consider prices on live/work space, it all boils down to price per square foot and not having to deal with NNN. Anyplace I move into, in any state, I have to build out because building a studio is an exact science. You just can't throw up walls and some egg crate. I need a raw shell with not a lot of surrounding noise problems. Such as train rumble, industrial noise, idiot tenants who like to launch fireworks off your roof, etc. I would be renting, not buying, so at the moment property taxes wouldn't affect me as long as I am not on a NNN lease and the lease is specifically laid out so there are no loop holes for rate increases. My lease would have to carry over in the event of sale. I won't sign anything that doesn't give me those rights. Rent is recouped off business. If it's not recouped, I'm out of business. $2500 a month in Nashville is the same as $2500 a month in Chicago. Your dollar only goes further in the south IF your going there from a higher priced region. It's like a real estate and economic "carry trade". Once you are there though, it will be hard to get out and go to a higher priced region. Your wages and real estate equity will be lower. Especially now that the bubble has popped. I am not interested in owning any form of real estate right now until the bottom is really reached. When I can get a no money down foreclosure property from a desperate bank and turn it into rental income, I'll think about it.

I know all about the basement "rap stars" who go to Guitar Center and buy their ProTools rig with credit and think they are making it. A lot of that happened from cheap credit off home equity. Credit is done now. We're in a bust. I see so many of these rigs on ebay now at fire sale prices. Those people were not making money and were maxed out on debt. I saw this in Atlanta time and again. These aren't the people I want to deal with. They don't effect me. I don't like rap either. I'm going for a wider and more diversified client base.

The people I want to deal with are independent video production, web designers, video game creators, authors and publishers of books and of course musical acts. If there is an abundance of that there, and these people are making money at what they are doing and staying alive(not trust fund babies), and if Chicago keeps a good economy going in the economic downturn we are in, that will help translate into a profitable business for me.

" Property taxes can be a killer, the system generally taxes commercial places at a much higher rate than residential -- like triple. This makes live/work space crucial to get proper designation -- Property Tax Calculations | Chicago Artists Resource

Good Luck"

That's something to keep in mind later on if I buy a building. I don't have to deal with it right now unless triple net is involved.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:56 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,754,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Food is taxed at 2%. I, like you, rarely buy a lot of non-grocery stuff. I generally buy my big ticket items elsewhere unless I get a great deal. To be honest, the extra sales tax really doesn't sting as badly as it could.
Thank you. I'm glad someone has finally pointed that out. it could be 8.75% on groceries like in Tennessee. That's why i don't complain all that much about the new and improved Cook County sales tax.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Default Doesn't really matter that YOU only buy groceries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Thank you. I'm glad someone has finally pointed that out. it could be 8.75% on groceries like in Tennessee. That's why i don't complain all that much about the new and improved Cook County sales tax.
The fact that you may not make many non-grocery purchases is good for YOU, but that doesn't change the fact that by slapping ridiculously high taxes on many many many good the idiots who run Cook Co. have made it a more expensive place to live and work for MOST people that DO spend money on a wide variety of goods and services.

From the many everyday item that people buy at Dominicks, Jewel or other supermarkets that ARE NOT EDIBLE to the costs of simple home fix- up items like paint and drywall to the clothing and luxury goods sold at regional malls that confiscatory taxes that Cook Co. has imposed leave less money in people's pockets and make it tougher to live/work in Cook Co ...

People who are contemplating moving here need to understand that and base their decisions accordingly. Even if they are leasing space (which has a whole different set of challenges for someone relocating) they'll have to indirectly support their landlords potentially higher cost of living. If they are seeking clients they need to realize that the higher cost of living leaves less money to get paid.

It would be bad enough if we had just high sales taxes, but the corrupt politicians that grease things in their favor also sock us with high real estates taxes (which even renters have to cover through more expensive rates for leases) , gasoline taxes, telecom and utility taxes, and a state income tax that places and additional burden on earners.

Combine the tax picture with the high prices that property commands and the generally hostile climate that requires near year round energy use (with the cold dragging into spring who wants to bet that we'll soon be facing hot humid weather that will see us switching from heating to A/C in just a blink of eye...)

Politicians ought to recognize that despite solid employment in a few office-centric fields, huge sections of Cook Co. have very poor employment prospects. High taxes only drive jobs and people away, regardless of any 'mercy' they show taxing not-ready-to-eat food at a lower rate politicians ought to be castigated for the hijinks they are perpetuating upon us.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:32 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,754,054 times
no need to get so damn testy.
of course it's good for me, that's why I said "That's why I don't complain all that much about the new and improved Cook County sales tax."
no one ever seems to point out that little "perk" on groceries, so I said I was glad that someone did.
chill, dude.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:19 PM

19 posts, read 55,751 times
I understand taxes are oppressive. I follow Libertarian policies for the most part, so you can guess how I feel about it. What would be nice is if someone posted something with a total state & city tax and fee breakdown. This would include things like utilities,cellphone and internet as well. It would be nice to compare. If there is already a thread with that, please forward it.

As far as renting/leasing goes, as long as you owe money to someone, whether it be landlord or bank, you will always be someone's b**ch. When starting up a business though, I would rather have liquid capital than blow it on a down payment.

I understand how you feel though. Which is why I listed those ways that I rip the system. If more people got pi**ed off about it and started a tax revolt, maybe it would change. It takes physical work and hardship to change politics. Most people don't want to go through that and commit to the endeavor. That's why politicians always win. It's only going to get worse as time goes on.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:40 PM

One of the "relocation data" companies (like our fine host, perhaps?) does publish a summary of what typical "baskets of good & services" cost with all the taxes included. That is somewhat helpful, but I know that thos summaries do get out of date quicker than ever.

I did not mean to seem like I was jumping down any on anybody, merely trying to point out that despite individual attempts to limit ones exposure to things like sales tax by trying to stick to grocery only purchases in Cook Co or buying equipment for your professional needs over the 'net that does not change the fact that this is an expensive place to live & work and there is no sign that the pols are doing anything to address that.

I agree that most people don't think enough about what they are getting for their tax dollars and seem to except that corruption is driving up the cost of everything in Cook Co and to only a slightly lesser extent the entire State of Illinois...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago