Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 08:07 AM

18 posts, read 27,220 times

Advertisements

It says LA is bigger but I know I have read elsewhere that it's not. I don't see of how Chicago can be smaller than LA. It has a bigger skyline. There are many things I see with Chicago that indicates that it's bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,162 times
this is a pointless exercise as all cities define their boundaries differently and arbitrarily. LA is twice the number of square miles of Chicago (500 vs 250) and includes areas that would be considered suburban by Chicago standards. the only thing really worth focusing on is broader metropolitan trends, unemployment rate, wage growth, COL, housing availability, crime, etc.

san francisco is 50 square miles, it will never have the population of Chicago or LA. that dosent mean it is or isnt a growing city, or doing worse economically than anywhere else. looking at total population is too overly simplistic to guage the economic health of anywhere.

LA is also historically a sprawled city built during the auto age, so simply judging it based on its skyline is also, overly simplistic.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,665 times
No Chicago is not bigger than in LA in population nor in physical size.

LA has double the population in it's metro, and one million more people (and some change) within city limits.

I suggest Googling Chicago and LA city information to gather the information you are seeking. It's all very factual, so not much to discuss.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 AM

381 posts, read 348,810 times
L.a. is bigger.

Chicago has more pockets of dense areas so it can feel bigger. Chaotic, etc.

L.a. feels similar throughout the whole city.
Not super suburban, but not super dense.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:06 AM

37,115 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Chicago has the larger central core / greater downtown area than Los Angeles, but is a smaller metropolitan area. Los Angeles as a city and region essentially splits a lot of its urbanity among multiple nodes while Chicago carries a lot in a single central node. Chicago could probably do with developing some stronger urban secondary business districts though.

Or another way to say it is on foot or bike, Chicago feels much larger than LA when you are in their respective downtowns. In a car though, LA feels much larger than Chicago as you can keep driving for quite a while and still see a lot of development.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:08 AM

629 posts, read 542,683 times
just use google to find your answer

Old 05-13-2019, 10:42 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,190,434 times
Yes, to the question.

Chicago has a more urban CBD, but a few miles south and west of it, you start to see some vacant lots. LA doesn't really have that, not even in the hood/low income areas. Also, LA has at least a couple of neighborhoods that are higher in ppsm density than most(if not all) of the 77 community areas in Chicago.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:27 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,311,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbruns View Post
It says LA is bigger but I know I have read elsewhere that it's not. I don't see of how Chicago can be smaller than LA. It has a bigger skyline. There are many things I see with Chicago that indicates that it's bigger.
Skyline comparison isn't necessarily a reliable guide to which city is bigger. I do remember that during a visit to LA, I found its downtown rather sleepy and underwhelming compared to Chicago's. That's one reason why, as another poster said, Chicago can "feel" bigger.

It's worth noting that Chicago was at its peak population at a time when it didn't really have much of a skyline compared to today. Before about 1960 or so, Cleveland's tallest building was taller than anything in Chicago even though Chicago was bigger. Chicago's skyline has grown even as its population has shrunk.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:50 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times
It’s Chicago’s own damned fault. We should have gotten involved with the politically strong San Fernando Valley secession movement a while back (let’s call it Fernand-ex). If SFV had left Los Angeles, the seond city would be the second city agan

Is Chicago bigger than LA? hel no, but I would like to put that one on n perspctve

Both Boston and San Francisco are each below one million residents but are more big city than House n, Dallas,

Old 05-13-2019, 04:16 PM

381 posts, read 348,810 times
Yeah..
To the person that mentioned san Francisco.
Now that city feels like new york.

But it's technically less than half the size of chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago