Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 09:25 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyman View Post
A few reasons. Little or no public transportation, the Metra from Beverly is really the only option unless you want to run the gauntlet through the south side via the bus to the red line, which is an adventure in itself all the way up to Pershing. Close proximity to the south side shooting gallery, making these neighborhoods the happy hunting grounds with an endless supply of victims.
Mt. Greenwood is a very safe neighborhood. To call it a "hunting ground with an endless supply of victims" is one of the more dishonest things I've ever read on this website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 10:13 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Mt. Greenwood is a very safe neighborhood. To call it a "hunting ground with an endless supply of victims" is one of the more dishonest things I've ever read on this website.
Yep, literally one of the safest areas in the City.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 4,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yep, literally one of the safest areas in the City.
Comparatively speaking, I would agree. But tell me, which areas are safer? Do some research.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Comparatively speaking, I would agree. But tell me, which areas are safer? Do some research.
Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site

Mount Greenwood.

Last edited by Yac; 06-04-2019 at 01:05 AM..

Old 05-30-2019, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 4,401 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site

Mount Greenwood.
Oh, sorry! I meant real research.

Last edited by Yac; 06-04-2019 at 01:05 AM..

Old 05-30-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Oh, sorry! I meant real research.
The data in this study is from the Chicago police dept.

https://www.renthop.com/studies/chic...hicago-in-2018

Nobody's saying Jefferson Park is a bad neighborhood, as this data indicates it's safe, it's just that Mt. Greenwood is safer.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:20 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
One of the reasons I love it in Jeff Park is the easy access to the Metra and CTA. Right now I can walk to both.
Also, like somebody mentioned. House appreciation. I do want some return of my investment.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:36 PM

223 posts, read 170,197 times
Also the northwest side has decent neighborhood schools also like Taft and Taft is pretty good for a neighborhood school and has an ib program and the northwest side has private schools to like saint constance, saint Robert belle dime and for hs Loyola academy, Norte dame, saint Patrick, resurrection , fenwick and trinity.Jefferson park is off the blue line and Jefferson park is more convenient than mount greenwood in my opinion.Also in the northwest side a lot of crime comes from other neighborhoods.

Last edited by Chicagoisthebest; 11-26-2020 at 12:48 PM..

Old 11-27-2020, 09:33 AM

223 posts, read 170,197 times
Quote:
I grew up next to Mount Greenwood. Here's my two cents.

Schools: Seems like the public schools are good, but a lot of people send kids to St. Christina in Mount Greenwood or Queen of Martyrs in Evergreen Park for Catholic school, mainly because it's a lot of Catholics. The public high school is Morgan Park. There's also the Chicago Agricultural HS, which I believe you can access living in the neighborhood. Morgan Park is not very good, and the Ag School is supposedly okay, but your best bet is a Catholic high school (Marist - coed), Brother Rice (all boys), McAuley (all girls). Wouldn't surprise me if Rice/McAuley became one coed school in the next 10-15 years. St. Rita and Mt. Carmel (both all boys) are also popular on the South Side for kids wanted to play certain sports. St. Laurence in Burbank (coed) is also an option. Your kids can always try to get into St. Ignatius HS near UIC, too. They can also try to get into a magnet school like Jones or Whitney Young.

I think in Jefferson Park you feed into Taft High School which I heard is okay but doesn't compare to suburban schools or magnet schools.

Will you fit in as someone from Sweden? I'm not sure if it would be too different than Jefferson Park, maybe not now but potentially in 10-15 years. It is a pretty high percentage of Irish Catholic in Mt. Greenwood, but you will likely be okay. There is a very strong support for law enforcement in the neighborhood. There area tends to be a little more "local" in thought than some other neighborhoods, though.

Whoever is saying it's surrounded by bad neighborhoods is misleading you. As others stated, Evergreen Park to the north, Beverly to the east, Oak Lawn to the West and Alsip/Merrionette Park to the south are all safe.

Someone said you have to do your shopping in the suburbs if you're in Mount Greenwood? I guess technically that's true, but Jeff Park doesn't operate like some small town inside the city. Maybe in Jeff Park you have to go to a different neighborhood for certain things instead of a suburb, or a further away part of Jeff Park. Unless someone told you the borders of Mt. Greenwood and the surrounding suburbs you'd barely notice.

There's a Walgreens in Mount Greenwood at 111th at Kedzie for a pharmacy. There's a Jewel at 103rd and Kedzie.

There's another Jewel in Merrionette Park at 115th and Kedzie. There's a Jewel in Oak Lawn at 95th and Pulaski same with Target. Mariano's, Aldi, Sam's Club and Meijer in Evergreen Park near 95th and Western. There's another Jewel at 103rd and Cicero. Home Depot also at 95th and Pulaski. There's additional retail in Oak Lawn, Crestwood and Chicago Ridge. This is all within a 5-12 minute drive of Mount Greenwood.

Orland Park has the best mall in the area, and unfortunately that's likely 25-30 minutes away.

There's a few bars and restaurants on 111th Street in Mt. Greenwood. Lots more, including a couple breweries on Western Ave in Beverly.

Mt. Greenwood/Beverly/Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park is arguably one of best areas for Chicago thin crust pizza.

You can get to forest preserves/bike trails in either Midlothian or Palos Park in 15-20 minutes from Mt. Greenwood. You can also run or bike around your neighborhood, perfectly safe without having to worry about things like highway entrances/exists

Train access: There's trains in Beverly just east of Longwood Drive every half mile. That's the Rock Island line and goes into LaSalle St Station at Van Buren and LaSalle. There's also the Southwest Line going through Oak Lawn at 95th and less than a half mile west of Cicero. That goes into Union Station. Jeff Park has the Blue Line and Metra, so that also has good train access, maybe better because it's in the neighborhood.

Commute to Douglas Park from Mt. Greenwood: I've never felt unsafe driving on Pulaski at night. Take it to the Stevenson (I-55) then get off at the appropriate exit. Or take Pulaski to Archer to California or Western. You're safer on the highway for sure, but I've never felt unsafe on Archer. Depending what time you come home, Pulaski can be kind of slow heading south, if it's normal rush hour. I've driven down Western basically from downtown all the way to that area and while I keep aware of my surroundings, I haven't felt that uncomfortable, perhaps from doing that for so many years, but really there's probably safer routes that I previously mentioned.

Or take the Dan Ryan (get on I-57 at either 99th St or 111th St. and then get off at the I-55 exit and approach heading southwest toward Douglas Park.

For any of those routes, I'd recommend checking Google maps and then driving the routes to determine your comfort level.

Here's the one downside to Mount Greenwood: Your $300k property may appreciate more in Jeff Park than Mount Greenwood. There's a lot of yuppies moving out of Lakeview, Lincoln Park, North Center, Logan Square, etc that are priced out of single family homes over there, and they're looking at neighborhoods like Irving Park, Jeff Park, Norwood Park, etc. Mount Greenwood isn't necessarily drawing the same types of younger people moving in. It's mostly people that grew up in the area. Most things available in Mount Greenwood also exist in Jeff Park or a surrounding suburb or neighborhood, but it's probably slightly more congested, schools may be a tad worse at the moment and you'll get a little bit less house, or a slightly less updated house for your money in Jeff Park than Mt. Greenwood.
Mount greenwood is not as convenient as Jeff park and in evergreen park you have to go to the suburbs to shop in Jeff park their is a jewel, Marianos, Whole Foods near by.Taft has a good ib program.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:38 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Personally I would stick with the northwest side of Chicago. Besides Jefferson Park, there are many nice areas up there to look in such as Edgebrook, Norwood Park, Portage Park, etc. It seems as though it will be possible to find a home and it will have good expressway and CTA access. Mt. Greenwood seems like an island surrounded by not so good areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago