U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 12:16 AM

6 posts, read 2,885 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'd love advice from current residents of Chicagoland. My husband and I are moving to Chicago in August for a job. Neither of us knows much about the city and we will only be there for one year. Mid-thirties, no kids, one cat!

Tell us where to live! I'd love to hear a little breakdown of the different neighborhoods. He's going to be in Hyde Park but I can work from anywhere -- however we'd like to be relatively close to Hyde Park for convenience. We are tempted to live downtown because we want to have access to lots to do.

For some background: we both lived in big cities for most of our twenties (LA and NYC) but now live in a much smaller city. We have only been to Chicago once and so we have a lot to learn about the city.

Our priorities for apartment location:
- Safe
- Cat friendly
- Furnished
- Close to transit
- We are pretty comfortable in either a more urban feeling place or a neighborhood-y place, but we don't want to live somewhere toooo quiet and we definitely want to have access to plenty of arts and culture and food.

We are considering Hyde Park, The Loop, Lincoln Park, Bridgeport. Are there any other neighborhoods we should strongly consider? If we are only here for a year, what would give us a good typical Chicago experience, but still be near Hyde Park and accessible to lots of transit and not, like, a luxury high-rise? Does that exist?

Any other advice for how to acclimate to Chicago so we can hit the ground running and really enjoy our year?

Any good books or websites that we might want to read to get a feel for the city?

Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 12:39 AM

459 posts, read 359,896 times
Don't tell people you moved in and just pretend you lived there for years. If they ask then go ahead and tell them! If you're in Indiana make sure you fill up your gas tank if you have a car!

Old 06-08-2019, 12:51 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,573,685 times
Hyde Park and Kenwood strike me as near perfect for you. You probably don't want or need to look further than that. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2019, 12:54 AM

6 posts, read 2,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Hyde Park and Kenwood strike me as near perfect for you. You probably don't want or need to look further than that. Good luck!
Hi Hiruko, thanks for your reply. I’m curious why these neighborhoods jump out for you. We don’t need nightlife but I think we might like a little more hustle and bustle than those neighborhoods provide. But maybe I’m wrong?

Old 06-08-2019, 08:46 AM

15,068 posts, read 27,718,114 times
I'd probably second Hiruko and say look right there in Hyde Park/Kenwood, and I'll tell you why.

A-to-B Lincoln Park to Hyde Park on an everyday basis is a bit tough. Long ride with likely a lot of walking involved, along with a long, slow trip on the Red Line. South Shore Metra (the only electric train line in the Metra system, distinct from CTA) serves Hyde Park more closely, but you'd have to transfer from CTA to Metra. Driving that is no fun at all. None of this is anything wrong with Lincoln Park in and of itself, just that the logistics don't work.

I like the Hyde Park area. Some great neighborhood architecture. Sometimes when you walk in a typical North Side neighborhood you feel like you're in a SimCity urban simulation where you see the same six buildings in a repeat fashion. HP isn't like that. The University of Chicago is there and its influence on the area is felt. Be advised that it gets rougher around the edges in that general part of the city the further west you get, especially west of the expressway. But HP best demonstrates that when people (often those who only know about Chicago what the national media says about the city) say "don't go to the South Side" they are making extremely overbroad generalizations.

Loop/South Loop is a solid alternative. There, the South Shore Metra can take you to Hyde Park, and you're in the heart of the city. In/around the Loop, you have all of the transit lines in your reach, and can get to most anywhere.

I like the blue-collar feel of Bridgeport that's definitely still there. Found that bedroom sizes were a bit smallish when roomie and I were looking at stuff over there. Also, for as relatively close as it is to Hyde, it's not really a straight shot on transit.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:58 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,071,207 times
+1, South Loop, especially if its just for a year.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:06 PM

330 posts, read 130,578 times
If you like Hyde Park they are finishing up on this apartment tower if you want high rise living. If I were you I'd look into the West Loop. It's definitely the most trendy/active neighborhood in the city right now with a world class restaurant and night life scene that keeps expanding and densifying exponentially. There are proposals and (or) groundbreakings by the week over there. I would say it's Chicago's Chelsea/Soho in terms of scale with being a majority mid-rise human scaled neighborhood. "Greektown" is adjacent and Little Italy/Chinatown aren't far away if you're looking for other cultures. There is excellent transit and also artsy activities plus you are close to the Loop/core.

\
https://i.postimg.cc/bJJvFPqj/589059...81860864-o.jpg

Old 06-12-2019, 09:06 AM

625 posts, read 335,514 times
why on earth would you tell people without knowledge of their job situation or how much a month they want to pay or their demographics to live in freaking kenwood or hyde park, just no...

they wanted a little hustle and bustle... so maybe, south loop would be more appropriate, or any of the ritzy north side neighborhoods if they want to pay a little more money for a safe neighborhood

Old 06-12-2019, 09:35 AM

15,068 posts, read 27,718,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
why on earth would you tell people without knowledge of their job situation or how much a month they want to pay or their demographics to live in freaking kenwood or hyde park, just no...
Well, OP did say "relatively close to Hyde Park for convenience," laid out more or less plainly who they are and where they come from and said they were considering HP. All people did was suggest it wasn't an altogether bad option.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:15 PM

330 posts, read 130,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post

they wanted a little hustle and bustle... so maybe, south loop would be more appropriate, or any of the ritzy north side neighborhoods if they want to pay a little more money for a safe neighborhood
Did you read the OP at all? They were considering Hyde Park. Where is the hustle & bustle in the South Loop? It's a very boring neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago