Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does IL need a 2nd flagship? If so, who should get designated?
No. The Univ of Illinois should remain only flagship 12 42.86%
Yes, UIC would be best 8 28.57%
Yes, ISU would be best 6 21.43%
Yes. NIU would be best 1 3.57%
Yes. SIU would be best 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 01:22 PM

997 posts, read 849,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
UIUC (not UIC or UIS) is definitely neck-and-neck with Wisconsin as the second-best public school in the Midwest (with Michigan being the obvious leader). As far as public universities in the country go, Illinois is one of the best overall in the same league as GA Tech and UCSD, with programs in engineering (across a wide swath of sub disciplines), comp sci, chemistry, physics, psychology, library sciences etc. being in the top echelon in the U.S. I mean, it’s not Stanford, but it’s a pretty elite public university.
Don’t forget accounting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 01:44 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Not to disagree with you, but from an outsider’s perspective (someone unfamiliar with the Big Ten, outside of Michigan), from an academic standpoint, outside of Northwestern and Michigan, I am unaware of the academic differences between Wisconsin and Illinois (or many of the other Big Ten schools). That isn’t to say that Wisconsin isn’t a better academic school than Illinois; just that, based on national reputation, I don’t think it is that much better to the degree that people, outside of maybe the Big Ten region, would know that.

If I had to guess (and I could be wrong), from the national perspective/reputation, after Michigan and Northwestern, most of the Big Ten schools are probably viewed pretty similarly when it comes to academics (i.e. I don’t think Wisconsin stands out from the pack on a national-level like Northwestern and Michigan do).
Oh my.

There has historically been a very strong academic pipeline from the east coast to UW-Madison. Everyone would move mountains practically to do research or teach at Madison. Especially if Michigan did not pan out.

The former WI governor Walker has seriously tarnished that situation with attacks/funding cuts to higher education.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:30 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
I think its NW by a decent margin over Michigan, then Illinois and Wisconsin.... then it seems like a closter of schools about equal (OSU, Purdue, Iowa, Indiana etc)… then at the back is Nebraska
I won’t argue that Northwestern isn’t ranked higher than Michigan, although I don’t know how you define “by a decent margin.” My point is, outside of NW and Michigan (clearly more elite than the rest), most people would lump the rest of the Big Ten together academically (regardless of what the official rankings are).

Old 07-08-2019, 02:50 PM

638 posts, read 240,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I won’t argue that Northwestern isn’t ranked higher than Michigan, although I don’t know how you define “by a decent margin.” My point is, outside of NW and Michigan (clearly more elite than the rest), most people would lump the rest of the Big Ten together academically (regardless of what the official rankings are).
At the high school I am at, that's not the case.. I see the kids that do not get accepted into Illinois and Michigan are going to places such as Iowa, Indiana and Purdue as their back up school..

I also think you are overthinking Michigan, over the last few years we have had two kids get into Michigan after they failed to get into U of I...

Old 07-08-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
At the high school I am at, that's not the case.. I see the kids that do not get accepted into Illinois and Michigan are going to places such as Iowa, Indiana and Purdue as their back up school..
Indiana and Purdue are closer to home from where I believe you said you lived. Iowa will cost less too.

Quote:
I also think you are overthinking Michigan, over the last few years we have had two kids get into Michigan after they failed to get into U of I...
Not at all. Your example does not really say much.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:57 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
For years U of I has blocked ISU from adding an engineering schools, but with ISU now being the states #2 school, something has happened and they are in the planning stages of adding engineering.. Seems like this will hurt NIU even more..
Well, it probably wouldn't hurt for Illinois to have more public research universities with engineering schools. There's quite a bit of demand for decent to great engineers, especially in regards to software programming, and so having a large number of them makes sense.

I'm not doubting you at all, but do you have links to U of I blocking ISU from adding an engineering school and the current planning for an engineering school at ISU?

Old 07-08-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, it probably wouldn't hurt for Illinois to have more public research universities with engineering schools. There's quite a bit of demand for decent to great engineers, especially in regards to software programming, and so having a large number of them makes sense.

I'm not doubting you at all, but do you have links to U of I blocking ISU from adding an engineering school and the current planning for an engineering school at ISU?
It doesn’t surprise me that the powers that be would not want to fund a full fledged engineering program with our current budget and existing programs elsewhere.

Crain’s mentioned it last year, btw.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...eering-program

Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
It doesn’t surprise me that the powers that be would not want to fund a full fledged engineering program with our current budget and existing programs elsewhere.

Crain’s mentioned it last year, btw.

Nice. I think it's overall a great idea. A lot of students need to stay somewhat close to their families for various reasons during college and there's no major engineering program in central Illinois whether public or private schools. ISU is also close to an Amtrak stop so students could come in and out from a broad swath of Illinois pretty easily, so interviews and conferences in Chicago or St. Louis are possible for them while still in school. STEMs jobs, especially the applied and non-theoretical sort, are having a surge and are likely to do so for years to come and the US in general, including Illinois, needs to be able to educate and train more people for such. This probably should have been done years ago.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

I do not, other than I do some work with ILCTE, which is ISU heavy when it comes to those that run it, including within their STEM area..

Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago