Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 04:46 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,308,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
There is a soon-to-be-published book, which is titled 'Milwaukee Ave.' Its author is Kevin Coval and the illustrator is Langston Allston.

This book will focus on what is and what's been removed from this storied Chicago street. It's scheduled to be released this fall by Haymarket Books.
I will keep a lookout, for when this book is released in stores. Thanks for mentioning it'll be released, soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 05:02 PM

4,611 posts, read 3,159,543 times
Nearwest and SonySegaTendo617, good day to you. It's Sunday and Im in Chicago with my daughters. We went to the North Park Nature Center for a monthly turtle club. We brought our turtles with us! Now we're in The Book Cellar, a favorite indy book store in Lincoln Square. I will keep my eye out for The Milwaukee Avenue book, so thank you for bringing it to my attention...you mentioned Don Juan's in Edison Park. I have introduced quite a few people to their delicious coffee!!! It has the right hint of canela (cinnamon)... It's so awesome that all these places I mentioned remember us as "the family from Milwaukee ". Your city always makes us feel welcome! Thank you! Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-05-2019, 03:31 PM

872 posts, read 605,035 times
During this past week, Ch. 11 aired a 2018 documentary, "A Night on Milwaukee Avenue." This film tells the story of one of the most famous Polish neighborhoods (Jackowo) in the US, through the residents and foreign-born Polish entertainers who lived and performed along Milwaukee Ave. in the last 2 decades of the 20th Century.

Very informative and interesting film.

Last edited by Nearwest; 10-05-2019 at 03:43 PM..

Old 10-05-2019, 04:12 PM

Nearwest, et.al. sounds interesting! Thank for sharing. Today I came down Hwy 21 ( Milwaukee Avenue) and my daughters and I stopped at The Grove, in Glenview. Wow!! For all the times we took that road and never knew it existed. They have relics from the pioneer days, and a cabin with reptiles!! Then we came into the city for Lincoln Square's Apple Fest. Pergaps the next topic should be about everyone's favorite spots on LINCOLN AVENUE Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-07-2019, 03:23 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,750,811 times
Oh wow. Amazon has this movie, think I will check it out. I have relatives in the neighborhood who have been around during this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
During this past week, Ch. 11 aired a 2018 documentary, "A Night on Milwaukee Avenue." This film tells the story of one of the most famous Polish neighborhoods (Jackowo) in the US, through the residents and foreign-born Polish entertainers who lived and performed along Milwaukee Ave. in the last 2 decades of the 20th Century.

Very informative and interesting film.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:10 PM

I wonder how many Polish migrated north to Milwaukee AFTER getting their midwest start in Chicago??? The Pokish settled on the south side of my city. But when I come to Chicago, I see the Polish have retained their culture more! The last few years Ive been to Taste of Polonia, by Milwaukee Avenue and Lawrence Avenue. Hey, you know I love your city! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-11-2019, 02:38 PM

872 posts, read 605,035 times
On Thurs., Oct. 3, Patel Brothers, which is the largest retail chain of Indian grocery stores in North America, opened a store on Milwaukee Ave. at Golf Rd. in Niles. This location is across from Golf Mill Center.

The Niles store is the 2nd largest store in square footage of the 50 plus stores operated by the Patel Brothers chain. The grand opening was presided by the mayor of Niles and company officials. A Hindu priest gave his blessing before the doors were opened to the public.

One of the specialty items offered at the in-store bakery is Punjabi baby samosas.

This store is an indication of the religious and ethnic diversity in Niles.

BTW, Patel Brothers has its headquarters in Chicago.

Last edited by Nearwest; 10-11-2019 at 03:53 PM..

Old 10-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Nearwest, yes. Certainly the Poles continued on Milwaukee Avenue. And certainly the Koreans from old Koreatown. A LOT!! And as you say, apparently now the Indian population. I appreciate the diversity. They all bring great food, festivals, stores and culture to the area. Thanks for sharing. Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-13-2019, 01:26 AM

9,883 posts, read 5,547,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I wonder how many Polish migrated north to Milwaukee AFTER getting their midwest start in Chicago??? The Pokish settled on the south side of my city. But when I come to Chicago, I see the Polish have retained their culture more! The last few years Ive been to Taste of Polonia, by Milwaukee Avenue and Lawrence Avenue. Hey, you know I love your city! Master Jay in Milwaukee
Archer Avenue through the SW side was another major Polish corridor but it's a shell of itself compared to the NW side enclave. It was still pretty visibly Polish from about Pulaski all the way out by Harlem as recently as 15 or 20 years ago.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:22 AM

886 posts, read 646,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
My grandparents came from Poland. First stop was Detroit. Then Chicago. They settled in the area today that it is Pilsen. They owned a 2 flat. My grandfather got tired of hearing her complain about the work of having a tenant. Site unseen they bought 40 acres of land near Mosinee Wisconsin. They moved up here with their 3 kids. My grandmothers sister and brother in law also came and bought 40 acres across the road. The 1st winter, my grandfather and his brother in law left the 2 women, (My grandmother was pregnant again) and 3 kids alone in the middle of the woods. The two men wintered in Chicago to make money to start farming. My grandmother did not speak English very well. They stayed in the house all winter and survived. They had cows for milk and chickens. The 4th child was born Feb 29th. When my grandfather came back in the spring my grandmother gave him hell and he farmed the rest of his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago