U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 06:28 AM

4,094 posts, read 2,309,722 times

Advertisements

Good morning city-data.commers. I was inspired to get all the great feedback for memories/hot spots regarding Lincoln Avenue, as you graciously provided regarding the post on Milwaukee (Avenue) in Chicago! I recall it has one end near Lincoln Park, very close to a WISCONSIN Street, another good shout out to my home! And from what I recall, I've taken it out into Morton Grove. I'd be happy to hear from you all!...

For me, my understanding is Lincoln Avenue was the main traveling artery among Chicago's German-Americans, as Milwaukee Avenue was the same for the Polish-Americans. And certainly I fell in love with the Lincoln Square neighborhood. In my first couple of years when I started coming down to explore, I NEVER went through the square, when driving because it looked congested, so I always used to opt to use Western Avenue to re-connect to Lincoln Avenue. And WOW, am I sad I did that all those years! When I discovered that little 2 block strip, I felt a new love for the city. It is a mini-world to it's own, cut off from the major business on the streets around it. The shops, the restaurants, the sense of family you see there! The last few years I've been to the Mai Fests, Oktoberfests, Apple Fests and Trick or Treat in the Square. I miss the BrauHaus, however. Some good memories there, including when a quite elderly woman pulle dme onto the dance floor to the German polkas being sung by the 2 -man band!

I guess the other area of Lincoln Avenue that is dear to me would be in Skokie, just past Oakton Avenue, where El Fuego Restaurant is and where Sweety Pie's bakery USED to be! Again, I always enjoy the cleanliness and sense of family of that area in Skokie, as I feel in Lincoln Square.

Please, share your memories of this great stretch of street in your town!

Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 06:46 AM

9,062 posts, read 4,365,743 times
Lincoln Avenue started dying when the Wax Trax record store, chasing cheaper rents, moved to the marginal (at the time) Wicker Park neighborhood. It died for good when Lounge Ax closed.

Unfortunately the German part of Lincoln Avenue is dying too.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:38 AM

Bitey, thanks for sharing.... I, too, am sad to see the German remnants start to fade. When I first hit the Square's strip and inquired on all the German stores, I was told by one of the vendors that I was 5 -10 years too late, because it had USED to be even MORE heavily German-based! And now in my time, I've seen the German deli and the Brauhaus close there! I hope more German places move INTO those spots to maintain the heritage!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-09-2019, 08:33 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,587,348 times
I used to visit clients for work around Lincoln avenue, mostly north of Foster. Not very exciting but when work was slow sometimes I would grab a bite at Wolfy's (on Peterson) and then head to the Lincolnwood Library and study since I was returning for masters at the time.

There was also a place I would get Turkish coffee but I cannot recall the name. We just called it the coffee place. It was south of Peterson maybe between Bryn Mawr and Foster. I remember that stretch being more Mediterranean. This was around 1996-97.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:44 AM

14,684 posts, read 16,486,618 times
Lincoln Square is a great area. The Square itself is as popular as ever with Art Tango, Selmarie, Savoury Spice, Bookcellar, Merz, Gene's, etc. The only loss is Brauhaus, which had a great atmosphere but mediocre food at best. I wish Himmel's would move to the space. They have significantly better German food.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:55 AM

hendersj31, I think I did grab a bite at Wolfy's once. That's the place with the big 2 prong fork outside, right? I've been to the Lincolnwood library a couple of times (even watched one of the newer Star Wars movies there, after they came out). They were under construction, I believe, a couple of years ago. It looks really nice, the last time I went, maybe a year ago. I do like the Sulzer library on Lincoln Avenue. It is one of 3 libraries that is open on Sunday, since it is a Regional library.. Thank you for sharing! Have a great day!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-09-2019, 09:01 AM

Vlajos, yes, the Square is much more eclectic as you indicate by the various establishments. But I do enjoy them! I just don't want it to lose that beautiful German touch! Brauhaus was SO beautiful inside, even if the food was mediocre! I've never had Himmel's. I'll put that on my radar! Thank you, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-09-2019, 09:22 AM

14,684 posts, read 16,486,618 times
^ If you like german food, it's worth checking out. It's just east of the Square on Lawrence.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 AM

Vlajos, thank you. I've seen it when walking on the street. Looks a bit charming. Thank you again! DANKE SCHOEN!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-09-2019, 10:32 AM

773 posts, read 511,869 times
L Woods and Lou Malnati's. Both in Lincolnwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago