Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:20 PM

440 posts, read 327,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
CHICAGO (CBS) ― A violent and deadly weekend continues in Chicago. At least 12 people have been shot, two of them killed, since Saturday morning. Two others were stabbed in a home invasion. This comes after at least 20 people were shot, four of them killed, from Friday night through early Saturday.
cbs2chicago.com - Bloody Weekend: 32 Shot, 2 Stabbed, 6 Dead (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago.weekend.violence.2.704117.html - broken link)

Is there something in the water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 04:35 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,884,332 times
Its getting warm out there, so expect the murder and mayhem to ramp up. Nonetheless, according to CPD, through March, fewer murders in 2008 than 2007. Might have to do with the colder weather this year.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5952487.story
April 20, 2008

Separate shootings create deadly weekend

Two teens were killed and three others injured in separate shootings during a weekend marred by gun violence in Chicago.

The shootings came as police announced that murders and shootings in Chicago had declined slightly this year compared with the same period last year.
Murders dropped 1.1 percent and aggravated batteries fell 0.8 percent through March of this year, police said. About 80 percent of murders this year have involved firearms, with about 30 percent being gang-related. However, overall crime was up 1.9 percent.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:26 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,427,270 times
I bet April of this year is going to be way over April of last year. I expect the total year murder count to be higher than last year by a large margin. We shall see. Hopefully I am wrong though.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,315,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I bet April of this year is going to be way over April of last year. I expect the total year murder count to be higher than last year by a large margin. We shall see. Hopefully I am wrong though.
Out of curiosity, why do you think so?

Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,427,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you think so?
I am out driving and walking in many areas most of the day everyday. I have noticed more gangbangers than in the past years lurking around. I have noticed a lot more graffitti than usual (compared to the last 5 years or so) and in places I have not seen it in years or ever.The economy is down. Many police districts have new commanders and there is a new police chief. There are many factors. I personally think we are in for a brutal hot summer.

The rest is all gut feeling.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:55 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,315,647 times
Quote:
I am out driving and walking in many areas most of the day everyday. I have noticed more gangbangers than in the past years lurking around. I have noticed a lot more graffitti than usual (compared to the last 5 years or so) and in places I have not seen it in years or ever.The economy is down. Many police districts have new commanders and there is a new police chief. There are many factors. I personally think we are in for a brutal hot summer.

Right on. Unfortunately, I get the same feeling. Maybe it's all the press that has accompanied the recent rash killings of students, but it just seems like a dangerous time. I hope we're both wrong, though.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:05 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,151,640 times
Quote:

I would agree with you. Here on the southwest side, there have been at least a dozen people shot just in the past couple of weeks. Several of those incidents have occurred in areas on the far edges of the city where you never saw that stuff just a few years ago. This does not bode well for the summer in my opinion.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
I wonder how much of this has to do with dislocations from various housing projects that were torn down. And along with what prairiestate had to say, I can't believe how often I'm seeing West Elsdon pop up in the police blotter. There goes another once stable neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 AM

204 posts, read 757,675 times
Expect the murder rate to go way up. People have finally done it with the police. The police now have there hands tied behind there backs. Most Chicago cops I talk to, many family members and friends, are afraid to pull people over or stop people they suspect of committing a crime because of the fear of being sewed. When theres a chance you might lose 20,000 out of your own pocket there is a different perspective. Since the papers like to blast police headlines when five cops out of 13,000 commit a crime or blast headlines from events that have happened over two years ago and that were already documented that usually causes the moral to go down. When you have the so called "religious" leaders like Meeks and Wright doing nothing but promoting hate against white people and police you have a problem. Anyone who lives in the ghetto all I can say is have a good summer. Dont expect aggressive policing against gangbangers. Also expect the violence to spill over into so called "changed" areas like Humbolt Park, Ravenswood, Uptown and ect. So everytime a policeman pulls you over and you think you were being discriminated against because your a black driving in Edison Park or White driving in Austin, because lots of whites live there and of course there are no drugs there for rich suburban kids to buy...lol, and you decide to complain and put heat on that copper. Thanks to you people this city is going to explode in the summer. Believe me.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:37 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,884,332 times
I'll admit the stories and anecdotes are ominous, but remember, last year we had 435 murders in Chicago. That averages a bit over 8 per week. Given the seasonal swings in murder, that means fewer than 8 in the cold months, and more than 8 in the warm months. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) 8 dead over a weekend is not really out of line with historical norms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago