Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 12:22 AM

169 posts, read 170,872 times

Advertisements

Ciao a tutti! What a great subject. I personally love these Ethnic neighborhoods with history.

For me, the best Italian spot I've been to that has actually transported me to Italy has to be Spacca Napoli in Ravenswood off the Montrose Brown Line Stop. Hands down the best! For Italian-American...well I'd have to say I've had some amazing times at Davanti and Francesca's in Little Italy "Taylor Street". I wish this was a better neighborhood having been to other Italian enclaves/neighborhoods around the USA like in New York (Bronx and Manhattan even if the latter is more of a tourist trap you still get that great feel), Boston (My favorite one in the USA) and San Francisco as well as in Toronto and Montreal (Love this one) and even Mexico City and Puebla (Really love this one, more on this one later). Chicago's historic Little Italy is kind of sad in its present aspect but it does have so much damn potential for the future. I've visited the ones on Grand Avenue, I used to walk there from my days living in the Gold Coast because they have the best subs and focaccias, as well as Little Tuscany on Oakdale whom some people from Pilsen and Little Village with roots in Puebla affectionately call "Chipilo" since this is a town in the state of Puebla founded by Italian immigrants from the Veneto region in the 1800's, smack in the middle of Mexico like this little Italian enclave is smack in the middle of the Mexican Corridor of Pilsen and Little Village. And to a lesser extent been to Bridgeport area even though Chinatown is absorbing this Italian (and Croatian) part of town, kinda like Chinatown is absorbing Little Italy in Manhattan.
Anybody know of any news or something coming out of Taylor Street to build up the area? Give it Italian signage or a "Welcome to Little Italy" sign or archway or something else? New Italian Restaurants? Like they have done in Greektown, Chinatown and to some extent Pilsen? I would love to see the rebirth of Taylor Street as a real Little Italy and a mecca of Italian dining, drinking and even fashion in the Windy City. Venturing to other ethnic hoods, I hold a special place for this one but it does break my heart to see it so dead when it comes to it's "Italianess" if you know what I mean? I love the variety of food but I reckon there are more Thai and Indian spots along Taylor than Italian today!

Also....I have to hit up the area around Harlem. Never been but always heard of it...and I've been to Edison Park and I concur, it should have an honorary Italian hood spot!

As to old world neighborhoods in the States in general, of course they're done, especially from western and northern Europe. They have no reason to come. They have excellent health care and quality of life out there so why come here? The age of immigration from these parts of the world is over. But we do have remnants of those Germans, Swedes, Dutch, and even Brits and to a smaller extent the Italian and Irish are still coming over because these countries are still going through harsh times (Not event talking about the virus)...what's amazing is that Chicago doesn't have a French neighborhood (Even though there was a French-Canadian/Quebecois one north of Taylor where their church still exists) and today New York is claiming a "Little Paris" and "Little Britain" to their melting pot, the most surprising one is "Little Australia", great hood for some avo and toast! We do still have people from Eastern and Balkan Europe coming over but that's a different story and group of people. Let's not forget about the Arab and African neighborhoods around the country as well. Chicago has some great Ethiopian and Lebanese areas. But obviously East and South Asia are kings when it comes to representation and food acceptance today (This will change in the sense that our taste buds will, luckily, be growing and more accepting!). Of course we have the Latino neighborhoods as well but beyond Mexican, Puerto Rican and even Cuban (The big 3 of Chicago), we have more and more Central Americans, Colombians, Venezuelans, Dominicans, Peruvians and Brazilians and to an extent Argentines making there mark in the city as well! Which just means even more yummy food and great people to meet.

I see great things for the city though. And hopefully my dream of a reborn Little Italy on Taylor to make it a tourist destination (and not a tourist trap). So much history here. By the way I'm new here and loved this subject. I will try to participate more now, especially during this quarantine! Hope everyone is safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 07:41 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
Dorian22, wow, what a nice response. Thank you for sharing! I've never been to Spacca Napoli. But it does get good reviews. I think I even read it in Steve Dolinsky's top 101 pizza places in Chicago book...Francesca's was the first restaurant I went to when I finally discovered Taylor Street in early 2009 (that was when I decided I needed to branch out and explore Chicago neighborhoods I was NOT accustomed with). Since then, however, Rosebud has always been my place, on Taylor. I have not seen any new Italian-ness, on Taylor, in my visits. The last thing new I saw was the library. As you say, it is taking on several Asian establishments. You have Mario's on one end, but I recall a frozen yogurt place towards Ashland. A couple years ago, a Scoop's Icecream opened up (the other one in Bridgeport). Anyone know if it's still open?
I had no idea Puebla, Mexico had an Italian area! My great grandfather was from Atlixco, Puebla! Thank you for teaching me this!
As I said, within the last several years I needed a new To Do list in Chicago, and researching the Italian neighborhoods was the first on the list. But I still need to walk on the stretch of Harlem to check out the delis. And THANK YOU for allowing me to call Northwest Avenue in Edison Park the little Little Italy I'm perfectly aware that Irish settled there, too.
Very true that Bridgeport is growing in Chinese residents. But my Croatian heritage takes me there. I love how the Sicilians and Croatians blend. Here in Milwaukee, it was the Tuscanos and Croatians that shared an area, Bay View.
The Tuscano area near 24th and Oakley is dear to my heart. I am close to Roger and the people at Ignotz's Ristorante. Again, I never knew about "Chilip" being a city or term used to describe the area.
Thank you again for posting. It was nice to read, and I learned something! Happy Easter!!

Old 04-11-2020, 09:15 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian22 View Post
Ciao a tutti! What a great subject. I personally love these Ethnic neighborhoods with history.

For me, the best Italian spot I've been to that has actually transported me to Italy has to be Spacca Napoli in Ravenswood off the Montrose Brown Line Stop. Hands down the best! For Italian-American...well I'd have to say I've had some amazing times at Davanti and Francesca's in Little Italy "Taylor Street". I wish this was a better neighborhood having been to other Italian enclaves/neighborhoods around the USA like in New York (Bronx and Manhattan even if the latter is more of a tourist trap you still get that great feel), Boston (My favorite one in the USA) and San Francisco as well as in Toronto and Montreal (Love this one) and even Mexico City and Puebla (Really love this one, more on this one later). Chicago's historic Little Italy is kind of sad in its present aspect but it does have so much damn potential for the future. I've visited the ones on Grand Avenue, I used to walk there from my days living in the Gold Coast because they have the best subs and focaccias, as well as Little Tuscany on Oakdale whom some people from Pilsen and Little Village with roots in Puebla affectionately call "Chipilo" since this is a town in the state of Puebla founded by Italian immigrants from the Veneto region in the 1800's, smack in the middle of Mexico like this little Italian enclave is smack in the middle of the Mexican Corridor of Pilsen and Little Village. And to a lesser extent been to Bridgeport area even though Chinatown is absorbing this Italian (and Croatian) part of town, kinda like Chinatown is absorbing Little Italy in Manhattan.
Anybody know of any news or something coming out of Taylor Street to build up the area? Give it Italian signage or a "Welcome to Little Italy" sign or archway or something else? New Italian Restaurants? Like they have done in Greektown, Chinatown and to some extent Pilsen? I would love to see the rebirth of Taylor Street as a real Little Italy and a mecca of Italian dining, drinking and even fashion in the Windy City. Venturing to other ethnic hoods, I hold a special place for this one but it does break my heart to see it so dead when it comes to it's "Italianess" if you know what I mean? I love the variety of food but I reckon there are more Thai and Indian spots along Taylor than Italian today!

Also....I have to hit up the area around Harlem. Never been but always heard of it...and I've been to Edison Park and I concur, it should have an honorary Italian hood spot!

As to old world neighborhoods in the States in general, of course they're done, especially from western and northern Europe. They have no reason to come. They have excellent health care and quality of life out there so why come here? The age of immigration from these parts of the world is over. But we do have remnants of those Germans, Swedes, Dutch, and even Brits and to a smaller extent the Italian and Irish are still coming over because these countries are still going through harsh times (Not event talking about the virus)...what's amazing is that Chicago doesn't have a French neighborhood (Even though there was a French-Canadian/Quebecois one north of Taylor where their church still exists) and today New York is claiming a "Little Paris" and "Little Britain" to their melting pot, the most surprising one is "Little Australia", great hood for some avo and toast! We do still have people from Eastern and Balkan Europe coming over but that's a different story and group of people. Let's not forget about the Arab and African neighborhoods around the country as well. Chicago has some great Ethiopian and Lebanese areas. But obviously East and South Asia are kings when it comes to representation and food acceptance today (This will change in the sense that our taste buds will, luckily, be growing and more accepting!). Of course we have the Latino neighborhoods as well but beyond Mexican, Puerto Rican and even Cuban (The big 3 of Chicago), we have more and more Central Americans, Colombians, Venezuelans, Dominicans, Peruvians and Brazilians and to an extent Argentines making there mark in the city as well! Which just means even more yummy food and great people to meet.

I see great things for the city though. And hopefully my dream of a reborn Little Italy on Taylor to make it a tourist destination (and not a tourist trap). So much history here. By the way I'm new here and loved this subject. I will try to participate more now, especially during this quarantine! Hope everyone is safe!
Yes, anytime people ask about where to get pizza in Chicago, I always mention Spacca Napoli. One of the best pizzas I've ever had (I've never tried any of their other menu items). Agree with Francesca's too. I have been to their Little Italy location as well as their Arlington Heights location, and have never been disappointed. Probably my favorite Italian restaurant in Chicagoland. I work in the medical district and go to Davanti's after work sometimes with colleagues. It's good, but not as good as Francesca's IMO. If looking for an awesome breakfast spot in Little Italy, everyone should head a little farther east on Taylor to checkout Sweet Maple. The best authentic, down home breakfast spot I've been to in Chicago. It gets packed, so you may end up having to stand around waiting for a while.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:32 AM

personone, good morning. I had to pull out my book! Yes, Steve Dolinsky named Spacca Napoli as one of the top 5 in the city for Neopolitan style pizza, and he references them in a few other pizza places, by comparison... I highly recommend this book by the way: Pizza City USA:101 Reasons Why Chicago Is America's Greatest Pizza Town.
I used to date a lady from Bolingbrook. I believe they had a Francesca's in the Bolingbrook Mall. A very good place. But I still hold onto Rosebud on Taylor. I've been to, and liked, their Deerfield location as well.
Desanti's I don't recall. But I must have passed it hundreds of times. I always thought Pompei by Ashland had a real cool decor, but never went in.
Sweet Maple? Doesn't sound Italian Another place I can't picture. But thanks for sharing the tip, on a good breakfast location!
Stay happy and healthy. Happy Easter.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:35 AM

personone , sorry, I meant to say DAVANTI'S in my last post. Curse this auto spell check!! Just for that, I'm going to try it out
P.S. all, my and my children's favorite pizzas are at Ignotz's Ristorante on 24th and Oakley, and Armand's in Edison Park. Please share your thoughts if you've ever had them there. Thanks!!

Old 04-11-2020, 01:01 PM

Yes, Spacca Napoli hast the best pizza in the city. I reckon they brought the bricks for the oven from near Mt Vesuvius as well? Which is amazing! And it really took me back to Napoli and getting lost in the alleys and getting that amazing pizza at Da Michele and other places in the city! Good times!

I agree, one should always have a “to do list” every time one is visiting the city. It’s just so big and there’s so much to see and do/eat that it’s impossible sometimes! Haha when I came to Uni I made it a thing to explore each weekend (when it wasn’t snowing) instead of staying in campus like 99.9% of my friends and colleagues. I even designed a “scavenger hunt” with my fraternity around the city and focusing mainly on these ethnic neighborhoods! For many it was the only time these kids left our campuses, which is really sad. But at least they explored a bit!

I’ve been wanting to do more of a Croatian neighborhood tour one day but it doesn’t seem like there’s an established one w a “Croatian corridor” or anything, even in Bridgeport? Or maybe I looked wrong? Haha I had the pleasure to go to Croatia a few years ago and would love to see it in the city!

Yeah, sadly Little Italy has not been growing with its “italianess” lately besides that monstrosity of a library that clearly says its the Little Italy branch?! Which was a nice touch! I feel like Davanti was the last Italian restaurant to join Little Italy and that was over a decade ago or so?!

Yes, Puebla has a strong Italian presence (the city of Puebla is very cosmopolitan with people having backgrounds from places like Spain, Italy, Germany, Lebanon, France, Britain, Syria, Iraq, Armenia, Netherlands, and various indigenous groups represented there as well...and the city is sooooo wealthy! I need to open some businesses down there!) but Chipilo is the name of the town that was established my Veneto migrants in the 1800’s. They preserved their Veneto dialect, they have a gastronomical corridor w amazing Italian food and pizzas (Al Canton del Italian is one of my favorite pizzas spots this side of the Atlantic...just saying! It’s run by an Italian emigre actually since the town still receives Italian immigrants today) the church is very northern Italian style, they are trying to convert it to a “Pueblo Mágico” for tourism so they’re fixing up a lot of the central part of the town, their Monte Grappa Hill (which has monuments brought from Italy from various times in their history including one piece of the real Monte Grappa to commemorate the battle of Monte Grappa in WWI brought by a Mussolini Expidition to the Italian colonies across the Americas in the 1930’s to “rise Italian morale” haha). This town outgrew the borders and they moved all over the State but especially to the city of Puebla, Cholula and Atlixco (just an FYI) where they have a lot of Italian descendants and the main plaza is adorned by the typical Mexican town center Kiosco (a gazebo stage to decorate the central part of town) except this one has a Chipilo business called “The Italian Coffee Company which is one of Mexico’s manybreaponses to the Starbucks invasion ) and even their mayor is from Chipilo haha Atlixco and Cholula are such cool towns to visit (Atlixco has amazing cecina for example which is worth the trip just for that) but I ALWAYS make time to go to eat at Chipilo and buy dairy products since they make amazing cheeses there...of course!

Old 04-11-2020, 01:09 PM

Just re read this and soooo many spelling mistakes! I apologize I’m responding from my phone and can’t find my glasses! #CoronaProblems

Old 04-11-2020, 01:17 PM

Dorian22, wow you are very well traveled (I sent you an IM, by the way). I am Mexican and Croatian. So if I ever search my roots in Atlixco, Puebla I now knowcexactly where to go, thanks to you! I am born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin but spend most weekends in Chicago for the last several years.
St. Jerome Catholic Church on 28th and Princeton is the hub of Croatians in Bridgeport. My children and I have carried the American and Croatian flags in their annual August parde, the Gospa Velika.
My studies tell me that the neighborhood, East Side, on the far south east side of Chicago had a Croatian establishment. As did the far north side in West Ridge where The Croatian Cultural Center on Devon these days sticks out like a sore thumb, given the Jewish population that moved there in the 1960s from Lawndale folloeed by those from Asia in the 1970s and on. Nearby there is a Croatian church as well, but off hand the name escapes me. So it seems the Croatians settled in all parts of town. I see why they got along with Italians, given their proximity in Europe. I'd imagine manybof them congregated on the ships that brought them from that part of Europe to the U.S.
As soon as this pandemic passes, I'm going to check out the Little Italy library, grab a nice cold Mario lemonade, and a bowl of spaghetti with a big ol meatball in the center from Rosebud!

Old 04-11-2020, 02:23 PM

Oh that's awesome! I've always wanted to go to this festival, I went to Uni with a few Croatian-Americans and I've seen their pictures of these events which is nice that they still have them going on like the Gospa Velika...maybe next year I'll check it out since it seems everything this summer will be cancelled, for god reason though.

Yes, I've walked down Devon Avenue and that Croatian Centre always seemed somewhat out of place going from the Desi Corridor to the Hasidic part of town. Also a random Georgian bakery with amazing treats!

Yes, Atlixco is a very beautiful small city (I keep calling it town but it's pretty damn big, up there with Cholula). It's so tranquil and colonial and during the Holidays in December/January they have their "Villa Iluminada" where they have so many Christmas decorations and the whole town is beautifully illuminated. Always nice to have a coffee in the town square and people watch....when was the last time you went? I love this part of Mexico, because you go from the majestic city of Puebla so full of history and beautiful architecture and being so cosmopolitan to these growing cities of Cholula and Atlixco full of charm (Cholula has the largest pyramid in the world and it's also a University Town so it feels super young having students all over) and between these three you have the hidden gem of Chipilo where you can mangiare molto bene, sit outside in the restaurants or cafes, people watch, talk to the locals and enjoy the amazing fresh food (they make their cheeses, creams, pastas, polenta, sauces, EVERYTHING is so fresh here...along with a jug of their house wine haha). Yet this is not the only Italian area of Mexico, by far but they are famous for having preserved their language, only spoken in the Veneto of northern Italy, parts of Brazil, Slovenia AND....Croatia! Since Istria and the Dalmatian coast were part of the Republic of Venice! So it still seems more Latin in these parts of Croatia than Slavic for example! And they're very proud of their roots.
I love to travel so this epidemic has taken a toll on me for now haha Hopefully by next year everything will be fine....gotta get through the second wave first!

Ohhhh that sounds lovely. I do love Taylor Street. The subs at Fontano's and the Italian Ice at both Mario's and Carm's...also the subs are Conte di Savoia and getting an espresso there afterwards! I surprisingly enjoy Pompei towards the end on Taylor (Since the other part of Little Italy was also chopped off because of the Medical District and further on Taylor you find more Italian businesses like Ferrara's on Tri-Taylor as they call it now...they really wanted to break up Little Italy huh?). The area needs a good Italian Cafe....screw Starbucks. They should learn from Pilsen and not allow them to come in and have family owned coffee shops instead! Wow....I am once again hungry! Not good...not good!

Old 04-12-2020, 05:48 AM

Dorian22, HAPPY EASTER! Oh yes, I'm working. Very slow today (fortunately), but unfortunately crime does not stop and I work in a jail. I imagine to keep it positive, I was able to KEEP my job!
The Velika Gospa is held every August 15th, no matter what day of the week. (And God willing it does NOT get cancelled!). It starts early in the morning. I, too, will have to call to see if it is still being held and at what time. I believe the parade starts in front of St. Jerome Catholic Croatian Church at 10:00 a.m. If it is going to take place, I am planning to carry the flags with my children. You will see many Croatian and Sicilian flags displayed from people's homes in the neighborhood. Some people call it Bridgeport, but I believe that area is technically still Armour Square neighborhood!
I just looked up Scoop's Ice Cream on Taylor, and it looks to be like it is still in business. The original that I went to is near 31st and Wallace, and that IS part of Bridgeport neighborhood.
Take care everyone. Have a safe, happy, and healthy Easter time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago