U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 PM

10,067 posts, read 16,873,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
On the northwest side at least...

North of Madison there is only one wide area that can be drawn as never being bad.

Just about everything west of Central to the city limits and north of Montrose to the city limits. So every area that falls into that has never been bad IMO. That is my rough boundary area. There are areas just outside of that area (some have been mentioned like Sauganash-most fall into my boundaries that are on the northwest side) that have never been bad, but I used a rough outline because describing the others would be too time consuming and many are about to fall into crap in the next few years anyway.
Yeah, the Northwest Side has always been one of the most crime-free parts of the city. It's hard to call the new creative-class types moving there gentrification, but it does seem like something is going on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,772,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yeah, the Northwest Side has always been one of the most crime-free parts of the city. It's hard to call the new creative-class types moving there gentrification, but it does seem like something is going on there.
Yeah, around Tripp and Leland I had an encounter with some gents. today. Brave souls indeed!

It is starting believe me.

Irving Park is getting it too. I drove around alot of Irving Park (not old Irving Park) today and its going condo crazy now. It was starting when I lived there a few years ago, but now it is exploding. Drovers cheap rent might not last more than another year or two.;-)

Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,871,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
What about neighborhoods that were never really bad? I'm thinking of places like Sauganash, Norwood Park, Edgebrook... Maybe even Hyde Park.

And speaking of Hyde Park, you could definitely add Kenwood and Oakland to your "gentrifying" category, although I'm not sure what the Official Community Area is called.
Good points are being raised on what gentrification means for purposes of our thread, and that's fair. It's subjective of course, and gentrification is a linear process (unless you're talking about Cabrini Green maybe). But there's no way to really quantify "the line." So it's kind of something we'll have to arrive at by consensus by the intelligent folks on the Board

I don't like the term "bad" in this context -- not because the term's subjective but because it isn't wholly useful in analyzing gentrification. Some areas which were not "bad" have gentrified -- like much of Lakeview. Good working class folks were displaced by affluent young professionals. Classic gentrification. And, of course, some areas which were at one time what many would call bad have gentrified too -- like Wicker Park (not an official community area but part of West Town), Old Town and Uptown.

I wouldn't count neighborhoods that never changed much in character, how's that? Hyde Park is probably a good example, as is Beverly and even much of Lincoln Park.

Some are objecting to the South Loop's (er, Loop officially) inclusion because much of it was industrial or vacant. But it had enough "seed" at one time to where I'd probably count it.

And, of course, to add to the confusion, one community area may contain sub-areas with clear lines of demarcation, to the point where you could say one area is gentrified but another decidedly is not. Galewood is part of Austin, but it is much, much different than the rest of Austin.

FYI, Oakland and Kenwood are their own community areas (#36 and 39).

Hope this helps. Carry on!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 PM

Lincoln Park was crap from around the late 50's to mid 80's. Half of Lake View was crap as well. The other half was blue collar and decently safe until the gentrification.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 AM

35,637 posts, read 53,228,923 times
Quote:
Yeah, around Tripp and Leland I had an encounter with some gents. today. Brave souls indeed!

It is starting believe me.

Irving Park is getting it too. I drove around alot of Irving Park (not old Irving Park) today and its going condo crazy now. It was starting when I lived there a few years ago, but now it is exploding. Drovers cheap rent might not last more than another year or two.;-)
I doubt my rent is going anywhere any time soon. It took them 4 months to re-let the apartment above me. Furthermore, we pay our rent early every month, we keep our apartment clean, we rarely complain about anything and we're quiet and don't throw parties. In short, we are model tenants. If they want to keep their unit occupied so they don't have another four-month gap, and occupied with model tenants no less, they're not going to raise our rent more than a nominal amount.

The only place where I'm seeing a lot of condo building in Irving Park is on the very eastern edge of it by the river and Horner Park/California Park. But once you get west of Kedzie, there isn't much more than sporadic condo development along Irving Park Road. Wind your way through the residential streets and there is almost no new construction at all except for some rap producer building his stupid-ass castle on the Kennedy by the Addison exit. Which leads me to ask... if you had the money to build a 7,000 square foot house, would you build it so that your front porch and your 2nd-level balcony overlook a freakin' 10 lane expressway? I mean, WTF...

Old 04-24-2008, 12:40 AM

I saw a few on Kedzie and Elston that have been built in the last year or so and quite a few signs up advertising more to come soon on recently vacant lots. I am including parts of Albany Park south of Wilson and in some parts Lawrence also. Since the area is right next to Irving Park it is a partial indicator of things to come for the area. This kiss of death for any area is the new style street lights.:-(

As far as the rap producer, that guy must be a complete tool.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 AM

35,637 posts, read 53,228,923 times
Hmm, yeah I guess there are a few on Elston as well, particularly between School and Waveland (though most of that stretch is in Avondale rather than Irving Park). There seems to be more of it going on in Avondale particularly east of Elston, and I think that's because there was more abandoned light-industrial space there ripe for reclamation whereas most of Irving Park is already occupied with perfectly inhabitable housing. So around here it's still pretty sporadic and almost entirely along the main thoroughfares. There is nothing like the massive infill that was going on in Wicker Park or Bucktown in the late 90s. It's not even early 90s Wicker Park/Bucktown here yet... not even close, and I'm not sure it will be any time soon.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:58 AM

10,067 posts, read 16,873,901 times
It will be a long time before rents go up in Irving Park, if they ever do at all. Lately rent increases have been lagging real estate price increases--and this is probably a bad sign for real estate prices.

We had a thread about gentrification in Irving Park before. I think it's mostly people moving into historic homes in Old Irving and re-habbing them, though I have talked to a couple of middle-class architects who have moved into less aesthetically pleasing parts of the neighborhood.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:08 AM

433 posts, read 885,022 times
Quote:
Lincoln Park was crap from around the late 50's to mid 80's.
That depends on which part you are talking about. Park West, at least the portions adjacent to Fullerton between the Lake and Lincoln were never bad.

Lincoln Avenue was the hippie zone in the late 60's and that is when it became a nightlife center. Kingston Mines used to be on Lincoln, as did places like Orphans, Ratso's, and many others, back in the Steve Goodman / John Prine era of the Chicago music scene. Wobbly Hall (the IWW) was on Lincoln just north of Fullerton, and Alices Revisited and the Chicago Seed office were at 950 Wrightwood, which gave the neighborhood its signature (but now long-gone) quirky/lefty/independent political orientation. That area was already "gentrifying" when the New Town land boom began in the early 70's. The last flicker of the bohemian era of LP was probably club 950, aka Lucky Number, which occupied the same location as Aice's Revisited. When it opened in 1980, the neighborhood still had a small sense of quirkiness to it. By the time it closed, it was 100% yupped.

The DePaul area was Hispanic/Puerto Rican until the mid 70's. The yuppies moved into Armitage/Halsted (which also had a large black contingent) in the late 70's.

The northwest corner (Racine/Wrightwood) was working class white, but that area had also gone completely upscale by the late 70's.

From the period roughly 1980 to 1983 interest rates went through the roof, which had the effect of stopping the gentrification of LP in its tracks. When I bought my 3 flat on Janssen/Belden in 1983, I got it ridiculously cheap because the previous owners had long since moved to the suburbs and basically had given up hope of the neighborhood ever turning around. The interest rate on my morgage was 13 5/8% and believe it or not, it was a bargain! Of course, I reaped a windfall when interest rates fell a couple of years later.

It was a tough neighborhood then (nothing compared to Uptown, but then, nothing else was), very much on the edge of gentrification. The second week I lived there a gang leader who lived on Southport was assasinated in the gangway right behind my building.

But within a year, the neighborhood started changing in a big way, and the rest is history.

It literally took three waves of redevelopment and twenty years to completely turn LP around. 1967 / 1968 was the starting point, and by the late 80's it was substantially redeveloped, but its evolution continues even today, as it morphs into Hinsdale East.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:52 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,871,811 times
Nice post NearWest Real stories from the day are much appreciated. Good to hear a detailed description from someone who was actually there. By the time I moved to the City in 1994, Lincoln Park and Lakeview were more or less like they are now, though Lakeview has seen more development since then, especially along Southport between Irving Park and Belmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago