Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 629 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I wanted to ask about any experiences people have had in Mt. Greenwood. My wife and I are currently looking to purchase a home in the area. We are both Latino, and work in education. We currently live in Garfield Ridge, but are having no luck find a home to purchase there. Before purchasing a home, I would like to know if we would feel comfortable living here. This is because I know the area has a history of racial tension, but I want to know if this is still an issue, or will be an issue, if I move into the neighborhood. We both have friends and colleagues who live in the area, and really like it. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 04:33 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Personally, I'd avoid having pancakes at 116th and Western for the time being. not sure if that is considered Mt. Greenwood.

Are you forced to stay in the city due to residency requirements? I haven't been down that way for a while, but from what I've read, Latino's moving in wouldn't be an issue, the past animosities have been largely black / white. Mount Greenwood was known for being an enclave for city workers (especially police and fire) since Moses wore short pants. Scottsdale used to be a location for this as well, but less so.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:47 PM

6 posts, read 11,217 times
Hella lot of racists live there. I'd avoid it

Old 09-09-2020, 11:32 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
What I remember about Beverly was its abundance of very large trees everywhere, they gave the area a lot of character. I knew an older lady who was bursting at the seams to move from Scottsdale to Beverly in the late 70's. She ended up purchasing a turn-of-the century home at about 109th and Clairemont, if I remember correctly. The plaster was falling off the walls and ceiling, and we tore it all off and drywalled it for her. What a friggin' job, if I die young I'm going to point at that for the reason. What we didn't know, is that lath and plaster hides a LOT of mistakes in framing, we ended up having to shim a lot of areas to get the drywall to lay flat. The walls had little to no insulation, the plumbing and electrical was outdated, etc., I never wanted to work in an old house again due to what I saw in that one. We also moved an antique piano in for her, I'm pretty sure my voice is at least three octaves higher today because of it. My advice to young people is to pay attention in school so they don't have to move pianos, there ain't no future in it.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:08 PM

796 posts, read 929,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRatPatch0328 View Post
Hella lot of racists live there. I'd avoid it

I believe its surpassed bridgeport in that regard.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:07 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
God forbid there's actually a safe neighborhood or two.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:36 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
TBideon, I am all for safe neighborhoods!! TWO would be better!!

It's good to know that there are actually a lot of safe and nice areas. Unfortunately, you don't see this portrayed so much on the media!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago