U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 813 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have been utilizing this forum for quite a while. My wife and I are looking to buy a house in the next few months in Chicago, and we are focusing on Mt. Greenwood and Beverly as well as the Northwest side i.e. Jefferson Park/Dunning, Old Irving, Portage Park and so-on, I am quite familiar with these neighborhoods as I have worked in them and having lived in them before, so I know the Far North and the North West side pretty well.

We are basically also expanding our search to Evergreen Park and Oak Lawn as well. We are a white couple in our late 20s and are planning to have kids in the next couple of years (schools don't matter that much as we are gonna send them to a private school, although we might take advantage of K-8 schools in Mt Greenwood and Beverly as they are quite good), HS will most likely need to be private unless they get into one of the selective enrollment schools (Lane Alum here).

So in a nutshell how is the area itself nowadays? I used to work there in 2013-2014 when I was working with Comcast. I mostly worked between 103rd and 91st most of my work was West of Hamilton and East of Western. So I am not sure how the rest of the neighborhood is. I've been told to look West of Longwood, however, in my experience I did not see anything out of ordinary East of Longwood, I used to frequent the Starbucks on 103rd early in the AM and past 6PM when I worked in the area.

Are there any boundaries I should be aware of/any areas I should avoid?

Currently in Noble Square
Past Neighborhoods: Lake View, Old Irving Park, West Ridge, Norridge.

Thanks!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-07-2020 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Merged 2 threads on same topic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 07:05 PM

1,131 posts, read 971,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidude View Post

So in a nutshell how is the area itself nowadays? I used to work there in 2013-2014 when I was working with Comcast. I mostly worked between 103rd and 91st most of my work was West of Hamilton and East of Western. So I am not sure how the rest of the neighborhood is. I've been told to look West of Longwood, however, in my experience I did not see anything out of ordinary East of Longwood, I used to frequent the Starbucks on 103rd early in the AM and past 6PM when I worked in the area.
I think east of Longwood, up to and including Prospect, is fine. I think things start to change a bit east of Prospect.

There's a lot good about Beverly. The access to downtown is NOT a plus, however. (The Metra is very conveniently located, but it's expensive, and the schedule is very geared towards M-F commuters, with not-so-great schedules evenings and weekends.) But during the stay-at-home order, that downside is not mattering so much. Instead, we're enjoying the wide, tree-lined streets, lots of pretty gardens and greenery, and people keeping their (very friendly) social distance as we all take walks or bike rides in our pretty neighborhood.

Also, if you ever get a chance to look at a detailed crime map, you might be pleasantly surprised by how Beverly looks, especially compared to almost all other neighborhoods. It's probably the effect of having so many police officers (and fire fighters) living down here. Whatever the reason, it has struck me as remarkable, the times I have compared Beverly with other neighborhoods I've thought about moving to.

I grew up in Hyde Park, which touts itself as being integrated (and it is), but my experience here in Beverly is that it's more so, and in a more organic-feeling way. Also, the neighborhood has been aware of the issue and working to promote integration for a long time now. (Google the Beverly Area Planning Association (BAPA) and white flight sometime if you are interested.)

The last thing to mention is that a lot of Beverly is "dry" - no alcohol sold, including in restaurants. The east side of Western is dry, the west side of Western is not - thus the liquor stores, bars, and restaurants like Horse Thief Hollow that line the west side of Western. Being "dry" does have a negative impact on the (lack of) restaurants that want to come here and make a go of it. But if you want to BUY alcohol and have it at home or whatever, it's certainly easy enough to do that.

Those are some quick thoughts. It's very nice in a lot of ways, and you get a lot of bang for your buck in terms of real estate (house and yard that mere mortals can afford, in pleasant, safe surroundings).

Old 05-05-2020, 07:23 PM

3,312 posts, read 1,453,784 times
Mt. Greenwood was featured in an article in the Sun Times, 5 years ago, as 1 of 4 of the safest neighborhoods in Chicago... I believe, however, a year or 2 ago there was quite the protest of someone having attended a funeral, and then being shot themselves.... I haven't heard of that kind of publicity spilling into the other 3 mentioned neighborhoods (Edison Park, North Park, and Forest Glen), from adjacent neighborhoods. I'm a fan of these neighborhoods. I don't use Metra, but I do know Edison Park and Forest Glen have metra stations..... Whatever you choose, I wish you and your family success.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:43 PM

2,437 posts, read 1,577,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Mt. Greenwood was featured in an article in the Sun Times, 5 years ago, as 1 of 4 of the safest neighborhoods in Chicago... I believe, however, a year or 2 ago there was quite the protest of someone having attended a funeral, and then being shot themselves.... I haven't heard of that kind of publicity spilling into the other 3 mentioned neighborhoods (Edison Park, North Park, and Forest Glen), from adjacent neighborhoods. I'm a fan of these neighborhoods. I don't use Metra, but I do know Edison Park and Forest Glen have metra stations..... Whatever you choose, I wish you and your family success.
RE: the shooting that occurred:

https://abc7chicago.com/police-shoot...-shot/1592549/

Mount Greenwood is a very pro-police neighborhood. That said, it's likely unfair to judge the neighborhood on one incident. It is definitely more affordable than the other 3 neighborhoods Jay mentioned, though,and equally if not more safe.

That said, coming from the North Side and graduating from Lane, he may find much of the South Side areas he's considering underwhelming.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:26 PM

fusillirob1983, forgive me, I did not mean to say the area should be judged by that one incident. If anything, I meant to say that an area which might get ONE such headline is exactly the reason to make it one of the safest areas! And true, it definitely is supported by, and populated by, police officers and other city workers. Per the article ( remember, it's a 2015 edition of Sun Times; but Im guessing holds pretty close in 2020) Mt. Greenwood rated higher of those 4 community areas in: Homeownership rate, 90.7%.
Of course I've never been to Mt. Greenwood. I understand it's near where the South Side St. Patrick's Day parade is held. Personally, it's just too far south for me; not near any of the highways I use to come into the city. Nonetheless, far north, far south, or other: go check them all out and see which one you feel the best connection for your needs.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:44 AM

7,751 posts, read 3,989,025 times
I have a coworker who lives in Evergreen Park and he likes the area a lot. (Young professional family, African American- wife works downtown, he works in the suburbs). He wants to move into Beverly, but last time he looked, he said there was nothing acceptable in his price range. I think he lives closer to the Oak Lawn side and does a lot of walking in the area.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:31 AM

2,437 posts, read 1,577,866 times
Quote:
fusillirob1983, forgive me, I did not mean to say the area should be judged by that one incident. If anything, I meant to say that an area which might get ONE such headline is exactly the reason to make it one of the safest areas! And true, it definitely is supported by, and populated by, police officers and other city workers. Per the article ( remember, it's a 2015 edition of Sun Times; but Im guessing holds pretty close in 2020) Mt. Greenwood rated higher of those 4 community areas in: Homeownership rate, 90.7%.
Of course I've never been to Mt. Greenwood. I understand it's near where the South Side St. Patrick's Day parade is held. Personally, it's just too far south for me; not near any of the highways I use to come into the city. Nonetheless, far north, far south, or other: go check them all out and see which one you feel the best connection for your needs.
No problem. You're right though - there's some potential there for some controversy when a heightened incident occurs. I think it was a weekend before the election in 2016, which likely added to some of the divisiveness of that particular incident. I was actually down the block maybe an hour or so before that happened too, so it stuck with me given that I'm only in that neighborhood maybe a couple times a year these days. It is generally not a reflection of frequent activity like that though, being generally a quiet nondescript neighborhood.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:45 AM

fusillirob1983, good morning. I am intrigued to one day explore the far south side of Chicago.
I would like to see the South Side Irish parade. I
'd like to see East Side neighborhood given my mixed Croatian and Mexican heritage, as East Side to my understanding has that mixture, also, of residents. Plus, East Side I believe was featured in the movie, The Fugitive.
When I had a couple glasses of wine at Bruna's in the 24th and Oakley neighborhood, a couple seated near me invited me to explore the Pullman neighborhood.
And I would like to explore Hegewisch. I understand it is quiet and quaint.
But what is public transportation like that far south? The Red Line at this time only extends to 95th Street. It seems like it would take a long time to get to any hot spots downtown Chicago. That IS the nicer thing about the north end. There seems to be easier access to L trains.
I look forward to hearing the OP's experiences while exploring the various options!

Old 05-07-2020, 09:00 AM

1,437 posts, read 1,437,302 times
OH my, the South Side parade! If you could have seen it back in the day. It was a mess for sure but a good time. The city, restaurant and bar owners have cleaned it up considerably.
I remember going to that one bar that used to have a boxing ring and would setup fights..was it McDuffy's?

Quote:
fusillirob1983, good morning. I am intrigued to one day explore the far south side of Chicago.
I would like to see the South Side Irish parade. I
'd like to see East Side neighborhood given my mixed Croatian and Mexican heritage, as East Side to my understanding has that mixture, also, of residents. Plus, East Side I believe was featured in the movie, The Fugitive.
When I had a couple glasses of wine at Bruna's in the 24th and Oakley neighborhood, a couple seated near me invited me to explore the Pullman neighborhood.
And I would like to explore Hegewisch. I understand it is quiet and quaint.
But what is public transportation like that far south? The Red Line at this time only extends to 95th Street. It seems like it would take a long time to get to any hot spots downtown Chicago. That IS the nicer thing about the north end. There seems to be easier access to L trains.
I look forward to hearing the OP's experiences while exploring the various options!

Old 05-07-2020, 09:11 AM

hendersj31, but, "Oh, THOSE were the days, I bet!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago