Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:23 PM

181 posts, read 505,791 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This may have been already asked. Just wanting some input on the dating scene in Chicago, and the ratio of men to women. I'm considering a move from L.A., where in my experience, dating is really tough. For women, anyway. Lots of hot girls, very few attractive guys=impossible to find a guy who wants more than just a quick hook-up. IMHO. Anyway, I am a very pretty 35 year old divorcee, who would like to find educated, classy, culturally exposed men. I've had it with the superficial surfer dudes. heh. So, ladies, guys...what's it like out there?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 12:26 PM

55 posts, read 274,676 times
This thread is useless without pics.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
I would offer myself up. But again, pics are a must. haha

Old 04-27-2008, 01:57 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
YAAAAAAAAAAWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
Hi,

This may have been already asked. Just wanting some input on the dating scene in Chicago, and the ratio of men to women. I'm considering a move from L.A., where in my experience, dating is really tough. For women, anyway. Lots of hot girls, very few attractive guys=impossible to find a guy who wants more than just a quick hook-up. IMHO. Anyway, I am a very pretty 35 year old divorcee, who would like to find educated, classy, culturally exposed men. I've had it with the superficial surfer dudes. heh. So, ladies, guys...what's it like out there?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2008, 03:09 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
sorry to tell ya, the ratio is actually better in Southern California. There are more women than men in the Chicago area. You can DM me if you want. I do not think its a great place to be a single woman, though I am sure many here would tell you otherwise. A few places on the east coast can be worse, such as DC.

LA may not be the best, considering so many women there are so image concious. But, if I were in your shoes I'd be looking at some other western cities, such as Denver or some cities in the PacNW, or even Las Vegas or Sacramento area.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:20 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Single women in their mid-to-late 30s have a tough time in Chicago because most of the decent men get married before that age. I'd say the average age of first marriage in Chicago is about two years earlier than in Los Angeles or New York, but I don't have any evidence to back that up (just a guess). I do know a few single women that age, and their dating lives are languishing. But your chances are definitely better in Chicago than other cities in the middle of the country!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
The previous poster mentioned a good point about the average or median age of first marriage in Chicago vs. cities on either coast. People in Chicago might get married later in life than people in other Midwest cities, but they'll still take the plunge sooner than the people on the coasts.

Your chances would probably be best in a West Coast city besides LA. The numbers indicate than Males have an advantage on the East Coast and Females on the West Coast.

Anecdotally, I overheard some women at the airport say that their friends from CA (where they are from originally) think they're way too young to marry their BF's (I believe they were 24 and 26), while their new friends in Chicago (where they work) were asking them when they planned to get married (almost as if it was 'time to settle down already.') This happened about 6 months ago. It was quite telling.

I'd imagine a lot of the 'higher quality' men you might be interested in Chicago are unavailable, while there are plenty of successful men on the West Coast who are looking. Maybe you could try Man Jose; lol!!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
oh yes, San Jose, how could I forget!? I am facing the prospect of moving to the desert (california) and am worried about the same things....but from what I have heard its actually even better than LA and SF....It happens to be a marine base after all maybe even a simple move to San Diego would be better? Consider those military towns....

I certainly won't want to be dating any 21 year old military boys, but since I worked with the Air Force, I know a lot of those guys are in their 30's too.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:32 PM

166 posts, read 482,690 times
You're best bet for being single, mid-30's is Denver. I lived in Boulder, CO and there were intelligent, single men everywhere. Also, if you like an active lifestyle and like SoCal weather....this might be a better fit. I too am a single, divorcee in my mid-30's but I don't want date so Chicago works fine for me ; )

Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 PM

181 posts, read 505,791 times
Default Thanks...

thanks for your quick responses! i'd gladly post a photo but someone has to direct me to where to add attachments on this thing. (alright, maybe i'm a bit of a bimbo too.) i'm just new to all this online community stuff. wow, so you say there are more men in l.a.? perhaps, they just have a major peter pan complex and are really nothing to fight over. ugh. denver, huh? that's an idea. i went there once briefly, and found it sort of artsy/bohemian in places with some lovely historic buildings. i really want the cold though, as wacky as that sounds. i lived in seattle for about 6 years, loved it...but wouldn't go back for personal drama reasons. anyway, i was there at the height of the nirvana-grunge granola era, i didn't fit in, i refused to wear plaid flannel. everyone made fun of my fancy clothes, heels and (gasp!) fur...a photo would tell you a lot about me, I guess....I'm white as the driven snow, a real goth girl....so wtf am i doing here in suntan land? but the east coast, well new york at least, intimidates me. too expensive, too stressed-out. and fyi, i have no interest in traditional marriage, i am just looking for something that lasts longer than a weekend, which is pretty much the way it goes here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago