U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2020, 11:52 AM

3,994 posts, read 2,151,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
For the next 5-10 years, I am guessing there will be behavioral and psychological effects of COVID that still linger. 9-11 was more limited to airports/travel, but the behavioral impacts of that still linger to some extent, although again, that was an event confined to airports/planes.

By Christmas of 2001, everyone here was back to normal.

The lingering effect was distrust in those of Middle Eastern descent, and of course the creation of homeland security.
5-10 years is a long time, particularly for children; who already are suffering by missing out on the only time in their life to be children.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 03:11 PM

8,474 posts, read 4,711,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
By Christmas of 2001, everyone here was back to normal.

The lingering effect was distrust in those of Middle Eastern descent, and of course the creation of homeland security.
5-10 years is a long time, particularly for children; who already are suffering by missing out on the only time in their life to be children.
Yeah that may be on the long side. I’m guessing closer to 5 years.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:12 PM

4,826 posts, read 7,182,695 times
Quote:
Disagree.
If baseball happens and the Cubs make it to the playoffs and Wrigley were open to the public.. Would the games sell out?

I say yes. You obviously disagree.

I think you couldn't be more wrong about what covid will due to the country's psyche. I think it'll be forgotten the day the news stops beating us over the head with it.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:17 PM

I'm not saying we shouldn't wear masks etc.

But I am saying there were already people in Vegas laying by the hotel pools before the 4th of July. 'Normalcy' is much more likely than years of trauma.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:21 AM

4,884 posts, read 8,853,325 times
So what's the theory here? Everybody is going to move from the city to Batavia, Yorkville, and DeKalb? Um, okay. We will see about that.

I think there is a huge political component to this myself given it's an election year. Relatedly I also think the "fear" is overblown by the media. I think people are much less afraid than what is being made out.

So the impact once the vaccine is created might be a lot less than what some people on here are saying.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:35 AM

1,017 posts, read 760,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
So what's the theory here? Everybody is going to move from the city to Batavia, Yorkville, and DeKalb? Um, okay. We will see about that.
What drove the downtown boom in the first place? Corporate relocations from the burbs to downtown to take advantage of the talent pool and vice versa. Now with remote work I don't think people will be tied to big cities as much as they were before. Not saying a move to Dekalb but a move to mid tier cities is totally on the table. I used to travel 90% of the time. Now we're at 100% remote work and likely only going back to 10-15% travel after covid. So no reason to live downtown for work anymore. From everything I'm hearing and reading a ton of other companies are doing the same.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If baseball happens and the Cubs make it to the playoffs and Wrigley were open to the public.. Would the games sell out?

I say yes. You obviously disagree.

I think you couldn't be more wrong about what covid will due to the country's psyche. I think it'll be forgotten the day the news stops beating us over the head with it.

I disagree. I think things will slowly go back to normal, but I don't think that will be anytime soon. I would say 3 years minimum, you will not see crowded bars or restaurants, buffets at work or other places, large parties/concerts, etc in the meantime.

It will take a vaccine that has been distributed to all segments of the population, and evidence that COVID is insignificant.

MLB is considering not even having fans at games or having significant social distancing so that it is not possible for the stadium to "sell out," so no, I don't think games would sell out if the Cubs made the World Series.

The remnants of COVID are not going away like turning off a light switch. I wish it would be that way, but it is wishful thinking. There will be a SLOW return to normal over a few years.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:05 PM

4,884 posts, read 8,853,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
What drove the downtown boom in the first place? Corporate relocations from the burbs to downtown to take advantage of the talent pool and vice versa. Now with remote work I don't think people will be tied to big cities as much as they were before. Not saying a move to Dekalb but a move to mid tier cities is totally on the table. I used to travel 90% of the time. Now we're at 100% remote work and likely only going back to 10-15% travel after covid. So no reason to live downtown for work anymore. From everything I'm hearing and reading a ton of other companies are doing the same.
Ah alright. What's a "mid tier city?"

Old 07-13-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:

MLB is considering not even having fans at games or having significant social distancing so that it is not possible for the stadium to "sell out," so no, I don't think games would sell out if the Cubs made the World Series.

Yeah but you didn't answer the question tho.

If baseball happens, and fans were allowed into the stadium, would they go? Or is the public psyche so damaged that it could take 3+ yrs for them to feel comfortable going?

The answer is yes, Wrigley would sell out in a heartbeat this October if it were allowed to.

But this is boring now. Don't bother responding.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Yeah but you didn't answer the question tho.

If baseball happens, and fans were allowed into the stadium, would they go? Or is the public psyche so damaged that it could take 3+ yrs for them to feel comfortable going?

The answer is yes, Wrigley would sell out in a heartbeat this October if it were allowed to.

But this is boring now. Don't bother responding.
No Wrigley would not sell out in a heartbeat this October even "if" it were allowed to.

The public psyche "is" so damaged that it could take "at least" 3 years for many to feel comfortable going.

Again, a vaccine is the first step.

I will respond to you, even though this is boring. I know this isn't what you want to hear.......

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...BJl?li=BBnb7Kz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago