Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 08:47 AM

226 posts, read 147,912 times

Advertisements

I love chicago but one of the biggest reasons I want to leave is the winters. What city in the US would a chicagoan feel most comfortable in with warmer weather and somewhere to swim and bike? I almost want to clearwater florida once and it bothered that they did not have any good food like chicago.

It can be a smaller city just looking for maybe a smaller chicago, less crime, milder winter, place to swim and bike friendly. Is that a unicorn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 09:30 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
I dunno....I love Chicago and it seems unique to me. You're right about Florida in general - I've found the food to be not worth mentioning but I suppose you could try Miami or Tampa. Obviously you won't get anything other than "single season" weather - do you really want to go that extreme?

Old 07-24-2020, 09:34 AM

319 posts, read 279,192 times
Indiana Dunes Parks/beaches are open. Valparaiso? Can take south shore to the beaches. Or back to illinois if wanted. drops you off millennium park or museum park etc. take the sky for a few bucks... im thinking rural. Hebron, IN asap

Old 07-24-2020, 01:39 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times
If you want a warm Chicago, try Phoenix. Lots of former Chicagoans out there, they have Portillo's and Rosati's and Lou Malnati's and Giordano's and a Jimmy's Red Hots out there and so forth. They even have a mini Wrigley Field out there (Sloan Park).

Even their NFL team is from Chicago so you can cheer for the local team without betraying your home town.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:39 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times
If you truly want "warm" weather, you will likely not find a comparable replacement for Chicago. If you want slightly "warmer" weather, Philadelphia would likely be a good fit. It is the 6th largest city in the US (many similar types of neighborhoods and a big downtown core). You still get a real winter, but you don't have to deal with the lake effect and slightly warmer on average.

There are really no equivalents in the South. Your next best best would probably be to look at somewhere like Denver or Seattle. Seattle, while not as big as Chicago, is a major city with mild weather (although lots of rain).

Old 07-24-2020, 02:53 PM

606 posts, read 354,482 times
What do you like about Chicago the most that you want in your new city? Some of the suggestions, although they have a lot of Chicago transplants, are not really like Chicago at all. Phoenix is a very different city. If you are looking for similar qualities to Chicago but warmer, it will be hard to find, but it would be helpful to know exactly what those qualities are.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:19 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,246,866 times
If you have the budget the only place that really fits the bill is LA. It's pretty dense all over, has good food, and an urban vibe. It's the closest the Sunbelt has to a dense traditional city. It's also a working class city like Chicago.

It's probably too expensive though. (Not an assumption about you, but about the average person.)

If you're looking for urbanity + food + culture + warm weather + outdoor activities, Miami is probably the next best. It has problems with crime and corruption like Chicago though, and the summers are too hot. Unlike Chicago, or LA, it's less of a working city so getting a good job there is hard.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:15 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,175,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post
I love chicago but one of the biggest reasons I want to leave is the winters. What city in the US would a chicagoan feel most comfortable in with warmer weather and somewhere to swim and bike? I almost want to clearwater florida once and it bothered that they did not have any good food like chicago.

It can be a smaller city just looking for maybe a smaller chicago, less crime, milder winter, place to swim and bike friendly. Is that a unicorn?
My only complaint with this city are the winters are not long at all and not cold and the summers are brutal as hell and go on for an eternity!!!

Old 07-24-2020, 07:18 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post

There is nothing in the Sunbelt that is similar to Chicago. Phoenix is the leading Sunbelt destination for Chicagoans. It has a lot of outdoor recreational opportunities and culture, but it is also very suburban.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:51 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,287 times
From what I hear, ex-Chicagoans are getting to be a big segment of the population around Nashville. A friend from work is a big fan of that city, she loves it down there. The winters are much more mild, and the summers aren't that much worse than those in Chicago. TN is very "green" state getting several inches more rain than Illinois. And if you start missing the south or west sides of Chicago, you can always drive over to Memphis, LOL, I believe they are credited more for "The Blues" than Chicago is. No income tax, MUCH lower property taxes, and a similar sales tax to IL. If you can find a decent job down there, you'd be Golden.

You could also check out Louisville. I wouldn't consider St. Louis because of its reputation for crime, but it must have some nice areas. I myself want to visit Kansas City (KS), they supposedly have some great BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago