Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 04:06 PM

46 posts, read 59,910 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
After thinking long and hard on the matter, I think I have decided to make Chicago my future home. I had been considering Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh in the past, but after visiting each of those cities and after visiting Chicago, it came down to the wire. Ultimately I feel Chicago may be a better fit.

I currently live in Louisville and I was born and raised there. I’ll be honest, I’m not a fan of Louisville. There’s things I like about it but ultimately it’s too small minded and too cliquish. I’ve struggled to make friends in Louisville and I’m almost 30 years old. It’s very hard to make and keep friends in Louisville, especially if you didn’t attend the same high school together. Also people in Louisville act like it’s the best City in the world. The way they talk about Louisville, you would think they would be talking about NYC or Tokyo. I pretty much want to get the hell out of dodge and not look back. My current social connections to this city are weakening and I wouldn’t be surprised in the next couple of years that there wouldn’t be a reason for me to come back and visit at all.

So I would appreciate if I could get some advice about living in Chicago. I’ll talk about myself a little. I have an undergrad in Political Science with a minor in Sociology, I am considering grad school. I am more on the introverted side and that’s one reason I am dying to get out of the south...it’s incredibly hard to be an introvert in the south. My hobbies include photography, writing, I love the walking, I also love to travel especially via train. I am also a gamer but not a diehard gamer. I do use public transit, from my understanding, Chicago has a pretty good system...at least better than what Louisville has. I currently work in the hotel industry. In terms of politics, I am pretty liberal but I generally get along with people on both sides of the aisle as long as they are respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 04:52 PM

148 posts, read 121,909 times
If you want to jump aboard the declining city train then Chicago will be great for you.
If not then look elsewhere

Old 08-21-2020, 04:56 PM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Bring plenty of ammo !

Old 08-21-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
If you want to jump aboard the declining city train then Chicago will be great for you.
If not then look elsewhere
I’m just trying to get the **** out of Louisville. I’d almost take North Korea over Louisville.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:56 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Were you planning on living in/near downtown Chicago? or in the burbs? It's tough right now to recommend big city life with all the violence and lawlessness occurring these days. A year ago I would have said it's a great idea, but today I'm not a fan. Our mayor is brain dead and it's just not the same place it used to be.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Were you planning on living in/near downtown Chicago? or in the burbs? It's tough right now to recommend big city life with all the violence and lawlessness occurring these days. A year ago I would have said it's a great idea, but today I'm not a fan. Our mayor is brain dead and it's just not the same place it used to be.
I won’t be moving this year for sure, maybe the end of next year at the earliest. That said I’m someone who likes to plan things early, especially for a big move like this.

I relate. Louisville is where the Breonna Taylor shooting happened and it’s been a wild time since then. Our Mayor is a complete and total idiotic jackass who is under pressure to step down.

I would probably stick with the inner city suburbs, that way I’m not too far away from downtown but not exactly right in the middle of downtown.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:11 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
This is true in a lot of big cities...including Louisville.

Chicago is awesome and you'll love it here as soon as people stop freaking out about covid. Tons to see and do. As for your interests you could really live in any hood. Nothing you mentioned made me think of any area in particular so just set your budget and look around. Condo rents are down BIG TIME so you should be able to get a steal. Welcome!!!

Old 08-21-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
This is true in a lot of big cities...including Louisville.

Chicago is awesome and you'll love it here as soon as people stop freaking out about covid. Tons to see and do. As for your interests you could really live in any hood. Nothing you mentioned made me think of any area in particular so just set your budget and look around. Condo rents are down BIG TIME so you should be able to get a steal. Welcome!!!
I’m just ready to get the hell out of Louisville. So like I said, Louisville is extremely cliquish and nearly impossible to make friends in the city. What about Chicago? Like I said I’m more of an introvert but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to have friends!

Old 08-21-2020, 07:48 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
Yeah the people in Chicago are very friendly. Certainly a lot of people who grew up here too but my group of friends are a mix of high school, college, coworkers, and friends of friends. You'll be fine meeting people although covid has made things more difficult for sure. Not being able to see peoples faces or people keeping distance and all.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Yeah the people in Chicago are very friendly. Certainly a lot of people who grew up here too but my group of friends are a mix of high school, college, coworkers, and friends of friends. You'll be fine meeting people although covid has made things more difficult for sure. Not being able to see peoples faces or people keeping distance and all.
Yeah I probably won’t move until around the end of Covid or post Covid. That’s good to hear. Louisville wants you to think they’re friendly but a lot of people here are very cliquish and two faced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago