Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 10:24 AM

574 posts, read 688,848 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife, our two children (12 and 8), and I are moving to Chicago in approximately 1 year. We are an African American family and we are moving from the Twin Cities. As of now, we have a combined household income of a little over $110k. I work in banking and my with is in the healthcare field. I have two semesters left before I graduate college and I have many years of experience in my field (I am currently a manager in an operations department for a large bank). My wife plans on finishing up her RN when we relocate and I'll possibly pursue my MBA. We are assuming we will make similar salaries in Chicago. OWe both have side ventures that are growing and a nice savings for a future down payment on a home or potential rental property. Neither of us have much debt.

We are originally from the Chicago area and we moved to Minnesota to make ourselves more competitive in the Chicago Market (via schooling and building our resumes). My wife and I grew up in the Ford Heights area, so we are no strangers to rough neighborhoods (I lived in Washington Park for a short time as well). We are no strangers to city living, as we have lived in Minneapolis for one year and St Paul for seven years.

I plan on applying at banks in the downtown area and my wife will apply for jobs in the medical district near UIC. We are looking to rent and don't mind living in apartments until we decide to buy. I know the usual suspects (Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown etc) are out of reach. Also, we are looking for the best schooling situation as possible for our children. We strongly prefer to live in the city but are open to inner ring suburbs. We are in our early 30s and both still enjoy the energy of the city and nightlife. I've done some research and Hyde Park seems like a good option on the south side. It appears parts of Bronzeville are being gentrified but there are still high crime spots. South shore seems to be trending the wrong way. Many of the north side neighborhoods seem out of reach, but Rogers Parks and Uptown seem intriguing (maybe Edgewater?). I see there is gang activity in both areas and that concerns me (I'm no stranger to rough neighborhoods, but I want to be in the best situation as possible). I'm not too familiar with neighborhoods west and northwest of downtown, but I know the immediate neighborhoods are quite expensive. Any suggestions on possible neighborhoods? Sorry for the long post, I wanted to provide as much info as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 11:53 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Hello. My wife, our two children (12 and 8), and I are moving to Chicago in approximately 1 year. We are an African American family and we are moving from the Twin Cities. As of now, we have a combined household income of a little over $110k. I work in banking and my with is in the healthcare field. I have two semesters left before I graduate college and I have many years of experience in my field (I am currently a manager in an operations department for a large bank). My wife plans on finishing up her RN when we relocate and I'll possibly pursue my MBA. We are assuming we will make similar salaries in Chicago. OWe both have side ventures that are growing and a nice savings for a future down payment on a home or potential rental property. Neither of us have much debt.

We are originally from the Chicago area and we moved to Minnesota to make ourselves more competitive in the Chicago Market (via schooling and building our resumes). My wife and I grew up in the Ford Heights area, so we are no strangers to rough neighborhoods (I lived in Washington Park for a short time as well). We are no strangers to city living, as we have lived in Minneapolis for one year and St Paul for seven years.

I plan on applying at banks in the downtown area and my wife will apply for jobs in the medical district near UIC. We are looking to rent and don't mind living in apartments until we decide to buy. I know the usual suspects (Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown etc) are out of reach. Also, we are looking for the best schooling situation as possible for our children. We strongly prefer to live in the city but are open to inner ring suburbs. We are in our early 30s and both still enjoy the energy of the city and nightlife. I've done some research and Hyde Park seems like a good option on the south side. It appears parts of Bronzeville are being gentrified but there are still high crime spots. South shore seems to be trending the wrong way. Many of the north side neighborhoods seem out of reach, but Rogers Parks and Uptown seem intriguing (maybe Edgewater?). I see there is gang activity in both areas and that concerns me (I'm no stranger to rough neighborhoods, but I want to be in the best situation as possible). I'm not too familiar with neighborhoods west and northwest of downtown, but I know the immediate neighborhoods are quite expensive. Any suggestions on possible neighborhoods? Sorry for the long post, I wanted to provide as much info as possible.
I can't help in providing much information about schools, although to say that assuming you are looking at public schools, they are not the best. For that reason alone, I would probably look at the better neighborhoods if you are going to be sending your kids to public schools.

What will your combined income be when you move to Chicago? If it is $110K, you could probably afford an apartment in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown). "Houses" in Lincoln Park especially (where they go for millions, is obviously out of reach), but "apartments" are surprisingly very affordable. If you look at the basic apartment search sites, you can get ideas of price range. Same with Lakeview and likely Wicker Park/Bucktown.

Lakeview, especially, you could likely find a 2BR apt in the $2000 range, which could work with your salary. I'm guessing the public schools are probably "decent," and it is a relatively safe and fun neighborhood.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:32 PM

884 posts, read 622,983 times
My recommendation is to look for housing in my area, the Near West Side. It's an ideal location for both you and your wife's employment plans, as UIC and the IL Medical District are within its boundaries.

Two of its biggest selling points are proximity to downtown and transit choices. We are directly west of downtown. Our area is served by 3 L lines (Blue, Green, and Pink), numerous bus routes, and is traversed by the Eisenhower (I-290).

I'm specifically suggesting 3 neighborhoods within the NWS: University Village, Little Italy, and Tri-Taylor. The housing stock offers many options, including rental choices. The population is diverse, with some of the most integrated census tracts within Chicago.

The area also includes lots of dining opportunities, including Taylor St. (Italian), Halsted St. (Greek), and the Randolph and Fulton Markets (eclectic).

Shopping is adequate for your daily needs and the area has 1 of the 2 Costco stores within Chicago itself. Plus, we are only 2 miles to downtown, and State St. retail.

The only issue might be schools. There are a number of CPS selective enrollment schools in the NWS. This includes magnet schools as well as STEM academies.

Crime can be a problem in some parts of the NWS. But since you're city people, you're probably aware of your surroundings, as well as having street smarts.

Check us out. We're a friendly and welcoming community.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
My recommendation is to look for housing in my area, the Near West Side. It's an ideal location for both you and your wife's employment plans, as UIC and the IL Medical District are within its boundaries.

Two of its biggest selling points are proximity to downtown and transit choices. We are directly west of downtown. Our area is served by 3 L lines (Blue, Green, and Pink), numerous bus routes, and is traversed by the Eisenhower (I-290).

I'm specifically suggesting 3 neighborhoods within the NWS: University Village, Little Italy, and Tri-Taylor. The housing stock offers many options, including rental choices. The population is diverse, with some of the most integrated census tracts within Chicago.

The area also includes lots of dining opportunities, including Taylor St. (Italian), Halsted St. (Greek), and the Randolph and Fulton Markets (eclectic).

Shopping is adequate for your daily needs and the area has 1 of the 2 Costco stores within Chicago itself. Plus, we are only 2 miles to downtown, and State St. retail.

The only issue might be schools. There are a number of CPS selective enrollment schools in the NWS. This includes magnet schools as well as STEM academies.

Crime can be a problem in some parts of the NWS. But since you're city people, you're probably aware of your surroundings, as well as having street smarts.

Check us out. We're a friendly and welcoming community.
Yeah, the Near West Side/Tri-Taylor/UIC/Medical District area was the first area that came to mind to recommend. The only reason I hesitated was because of schools (assuming public schools). Outside of that though, it is a good area and relatively affordable. The West Loop being the exception that is going to be more expensive.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:24 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times
I'd seriously look at Oak Park. It is right on the border of Chicago, a straight shot down the expressway/Blue line to UIC Medical district and easy to get downtown. Great schools for the kids.

I would not be looking at Rogers Park/edgewater if you think your wife will be at UIC. But there are tons of places scattered throughout Chicagoland to be an RN so not sure you need to limit yourself to UIC convenient areas.

And honestly if you are considering as far away as Rogers Park... look at Oak Park.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I'd seriously look at Oak Park. It is right on the border of Chicago, a straight shot down the expressway/Blue line to UIC Medical district and easy to get downtown. Great schools for the kids.

I would not be looking at Rogers Park/edgewater if you think your wife will be at UIC. But there are tons of places scattered throughout Chicagoland to be an RN so not sure you need to limit yourself to UIC convenient areas.

And honestly if you are considering as far away as Rogers Park... look at Oak Park.
Yeah, I just realized the poster mentioned inner-ring suburbs too. I agree that Oak Park is probably the best fit overall, especially given the location of possible work. It's a nice inner ring suburb, quick access to the city, relatively affordable, and from what I've heard, much better public schools than the city.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:15 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,703 times
Quote:

The problem is targeting the schools. That is a whole other universe people spend loads of time researching and navigating relative to their unique situation. It’s not usually as simple as targeting a neighborhood.

To a previous point, with that salary you could probably find a relatively affordable apartment in many/most areas.

It really comes down to personal preference.

Here’s one way to think about it.

You have downtown, then the adjacent neighborhoods going north and west/northwest down Milwaukee are largely characterized by transplants to the city and gentrification.

The MKE corridor tends to be a bit younger/edgier, while the north neighborhoods are a little more traditional Midwestern Big 10-ish.

Then outside of that, the next layer, you have a ton of more traditional, probably more diverse, relatively stable or gentrifying neighborhoods that are more real Chicago neighborhoods.

So Bronzeville v Wicker Park v Lincoln Park are just completely, completely different experiences and places.

Stabbing in the dark...As noted, the area around UIC is pretty cool, Bronzeville seems to be increasingly popular, Hyde Park is certainly popular...and there are a ton of north side neighborhoods like Ravenswood, Lincoln Square and Andersonville that are just beautiful places to live, although relatively far for a downtown\UIC commute. As noted, Oak Park is certainly an option.

Completely subjective but if I were you, what would I probably do? Probably look at Lincoln Park. The activist yuppies there have apparently created great public schools and over the years I’ve come to appreciate that, unfortunately, just being raised around rich/successful people is a leg up in the world. That said there are many neighborhoods like that here anywhere there’s people with money, but...that’s what comes to my mind.

Unfortunately you are faced with what might as well be limitless options and it’s extremely hard to make these kind of choices based on anything but personal preferences.

Old 09-17-2020, 04:14 PM

504 posts, read 495,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, I just realized the poster mentioned inner-ring suburbs too. I agree that Oak Park is probably the best fit overall, especially given the location of possible work. It's a nice inner ring suburb, quick access to the city, relatively affordable, and from what I've heard, much better public schools than the city.
Ditto Oak Park. Its the safest bet if you want good schools, the area is overrun with children and has a great diverse mix of people. In terms of nightlife w/in OP - there are about 4 breweries and a few other bars, but the food scene is ok. You're best off taking the train to the west loop or going to parts of Chicago for a more vibrant mix of non-family nightlife. OP also has the green line, blue line, metra, and 290 (for getting to UIC).

I would think about your next place in terms of your wife especially if she is taking transit to UIC. The blue line and pink line are the best ways to get there. The blue line has great areas in Chicago with Noble Square, the west loop, Wicker Park, Logan Square (all of these trend around 30s-40). If you're looking for more of a family setting off the blue line, Avondale is a good option. I'm not as sure about schools in these areas unless you're children are naturally gifted, but I'm assuming they're better than the pink line options.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:38 PM

574 posts, read 688,848 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. For some reason I assumed Oak Park was as expensive as the best Chicago neighborhoods. I've done some research and to my surprise, it might be the perfect fit. The selfish part of me wants to live within the city limits, but the father in me knows Oak Park might be the best move. Its closer to the loop and UIC than many inner city neighborhoods and the school system seems great compared to the city. I just Chicago and we checked out a few neighborhoods. We're going back on October 3 and I plan on spending time in Oak Park and a few city neighborhoods you all suggested. We'll be spending a week just for that purpose. Our plan is to visit once every 2 months to explore different neighborhoods until we make our move.

How bad are the city schools? Would it be fair to assume the better neighborhoods have better schools? We definitely dont need the best schools in the area, but we want the schools to be reasonably good. Our children are standouts up here, so we feel they'll be ok if the school isnt top notch.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,703 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. For some reason I assumed Oak Park was as expensive as the best Chicago neighborhoods. I've done some research and to my surprise, it might be the perfect fit. The selfish part of me wants to live within the city limits, but the father in me knows Oak Park might be the best move. Its closer to the loop and UIC than many inner city neighborhoods and the school system seems great compared to the city. I just Chicago and we checked out a few neighborhoods. We're going back on October 3 and I plan on spending time in Oak Park and a few city neighborhoods you all suggested. We'll be spending a week just for that purpose. Our plan is to visit once every 2 months to explore different neighborhoods until we make our move.

How bad are the city schools? Would it be fair to assume the better neighborhoods have better schools? We definitely dont need the best schools in the area, but we want the schools to be reasonably good. Our children are standouts up here, so we feel they'll be ok if the school isnt top notch.
Oak Park is likely a fantastic choice.

No, there are great schools in the city...you just have to exhaustively research and target and plan...it’s a Byzantine maze of geography, magnet, etc etc etc. people spend years trying to navigate this.

And also I noticed in your headline you were looking for a 3 bedroom. That probably changes things. Your choices would potentially be limited in the city.

Honestly, with kids that age, renting a house in Oak Park could potentially be an ideal solution.

Otherwise if you are looking for a more or less traditional lifestyle raising three kids in the city, you are likely going to be looking at more “real” Chicago neighborhoods (Bridgeport, Bronzeville, Rogers Park etc.)

It really depends what you want but the number of people, for instance, who are renting a 3 bedroom apt. in Wicker Park and sending their kids to public schools is likely pretty low. It’s not bad, but it’s probably somewhat unorthodox.

The suburbs are just set up for livability. OP is great and has more going on than a lot of city neighborhoods. Plus, as mentioned, the trains go there and stuff. The high school is great. I would look at it, hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago