U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 11:08 AM

4,094 posts, read 2,309,722 times

Advertisements

Good day!

Picked up a friend in Gurnee who was born and raised in Illinois, and then we drove to Lincoln Square. She said all her years in the city she did not know that the Square existed!

Checked out Gene's Deli and then had lunch outside of Jerry's. the sun was fantastic yesterday. Great for people watching, families, couples, people taking pictures, etc.

I brought my bicycle with so we rented her a Divvy and biked into Albany Park. Amazing the diversity and the "city-feel" changes differently as soon as you go a mere 1 mile west!

Came back to Lincoln Square after I checked various stores to find my eldest child a Mexican flag for the car and a mini pair of Mexican boxing gloves. Found a flower place on Central Park Avenue and Lawrence, of all places, that actually sold these items. All to find out I did NOT have my credit card anymore! I biked SO fast back to the Divvy Kiosk by the Brown Line and my card was still in the machine!... So we celebrated with another drink at Jerry's! ')

Rode back to the flower store with credit card to make my purchase, and then came back AGAIN to Lincoln Square. Dinner outside at Garcia's restaurant! So we spent our day essentially in Lincoln Square/Albany Park.

We saw nothing but bustling people, and families. Everyone I interacted with was friendly and happy. The weather was gorgeous. I couldn't have asked for a better day!

THESE are the experiences I hope more people can hear about and experience themselves to counter the negativity the great city of Chicago is sometimes marked with. Life is a mixture of yin and yang. We can not, and should not focus always on the unfortunate things that happen.

I look forward to being back! Have a great day everyone! Stay healthy and happy!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 01:25 PM

779 posts, read 443,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good day!

Picked up a friend in Gurnee who was born and raised in Illinois, and then we drove to Lincoln Square. She said all her years in the city she did not know that the Square existed!

Checked out Gene's Deli and then had lunch outside of Jerry's. the sun was fantastic yesterday. Great for people watching, families, couples, people taking pictures, etc.

I brought my bicycle with so we rented her a Divvy and biked into Albany Park. Amazing the diversity and the "city-feel" changes differently as soon as you go a mere 1 mile west!

Came back to Lincoln Square after I checked various stores to find my eldest child a Mexican flag for the car and a mini pair of Mexican boxing gloves. Found a flower place on Central Park Avenue and Lawrence, of all places, that actually sold these items. All to find out I did NOT have my credit card anymore! I biked SO fast back to the Divvy Kiosk by the Brown Line and my card was still in the machine!... So we celebrated with another drink at Jerry's! ')

Rode back to the flower store with credit card to make my purchase, and then came back AGAIN to Lincoln Square. Dinner outside at Garcia's restaurant! So we spent our day essentially in Lincoln Square/Albany Park.

We saw nothing but bustling people, and families. Everyone I interacted with was friendly and happy. The weather was gorgeous. I couldn't have asked for a better day!

THESE are the experiences I hope more people can hear about and experience themselves to counter the negativity the great city of Chicago is sometimes marked with. Life is a mixture of yin and yang. We can not, and should not focus always on the unfortunate things that happen.

I look forward to being back! Have a great day everyone! Stay healthy and happy!!

Master Jay: When you make another trip to Lincoln Square, I will again recommend Luella's Southern Kitchen for a great dining experience. It's located at 4609 N. Lincoln Ave.

This stellar dining spot features Southern style cooking and is known for shrimp and grits, macaroni and cheese, and chicken and waffles.

An outstanding offering on its menu is the She Crab Soup, which is prepared using only female crabs.

This restaurant is a gem in Lincoln Square (and in Chicago).

Old 09-21-2020, 01:40 PM

Nearwest, good day. And YES, I did finally recognize Luella's on one of my recent trips. And from what I recall, I also read an article on line about it.

Thank you for your recommendation. My children may be especially interested in the Mac and Cheese!

Have a great last day of Summer ;(

Old 09-21-2020, 06:49 PM
wjj

903 posts, read 1,171,424 times
Quote:

Albany Park has been considered a safe area of the city - until last week when there were seven shootings and two killed in a two block area over a few days. I have a close acquaintance who lives there right off the river and the park in a nice rehabbed bungalow. Moved there because it was safe - safer than where they were. One of those shot and killed happened very near their house. If the assailant had missed his target, the bullet could have gone into their house. That is the problem with Chicago now. Violence can come to any safe neighborhood at any time out of the blue. It didn't used to be like that. That kind of thing isn't supposed to happen in Albany Park. And yeah, it is probably gang on gang violence, but far too many innocents minding their own business can get hit by stray bullets (some of the seven shot were bystanders in one of the shootings). It's getting to be that the only safe places now are Norwood Park and Edison Park where half the residents are cops or firefighters. Unfortunately, some neighborhoods that are active and vibrant during the day, are very different when the sun goes down.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:11 PM

1,004 posts, read 903,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Albany Park has been considered a safe area of the city - until last week when there were seven shootings and two killed in a two block area over a few days. I have a close acquaintance who lives there right off the river and the park in a nice rehabbed bungalow. Moved there because it was safe - safer than where they were. One of those shot and killed happened very near their house. If the assailant had missed his target, the bullet could have gone into their house. That is the problem with Chicago now. Violence can come to any safe neighborhood at any time out of the blue. It didn't used to be like that. That kind of thing isn't supposed to happen in Albany Park. And yeah, it is probably gang on gang violence, but far too many innocents minding their own business can get hit by stray bullets (some of the seven shot were bystanders in one of the shootings). It's getting to be that the only safe places now are Norwood Park and Edison Park where half the residents are cops or firefighters. Unfortunately, some neighborhoods that are active and vibrant during the day, are very different when the sun goes down.
Oh please. Albany Park hasn't been considered safe in decades. They have spates of shootings and muggings every year. No neighborhood turns into a gang warzone overnight. It's not as bad as most of the south side. But they have a definite crime element and it's obvious by the lack of serious business and real estate development in the area.

And not many people think living next door to a cop makes them safer--people aren't exactly beating a path to Edison Park (and never have).

Old 09-21-2020, 09:07 PM

I appreciate your comments. I am the outsider here. But I agree Albany Park did have a presence of gang activity. True it didn't have the reputation of certain other areas. Unfortunately that is probably the reason they try to make a name for themselves!

A month or so ago I rode my bike eastbound. I think it was just a block north of Montrose. But I must say: as I got closer to the river, I saw some beautiful and huge homes and there was no gang presence. My point: Albany Park has its highs and lows.

I would through Forest Glen and North Park in with the safe areas. As for Edison Park, I would definitely live there.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:55 AM
wjj

903 posts, read 1,171,424 times
Quote:
I appreciate your comments. I am the outsider here. But I agree Albany Park did have a presence of gang activity. True it didn't have the reputation of certain other areas. Unfortunately that is probably the reason they try to make a name for themselves!

A month or so ago I rode my bike eastbound. I think it was just a block north of Montrose. But I must say: as I got closer to the river, I saw some beautiful and huge homes and there was no gang presence. My point: Albany Park has its highs and lows.

I would through Forest Glen and North Park in with the safe areas. As for Edison Park, I would definitely live there.

MJ.....I think you hit it on the head. My friends live on the north edge of Albany Park just off Foster, by the river near Eugene Field Park. Looking at a map I see that they live within a block of what is now considered to be North Park (the Albany Park library is now considered to be in North Park so it can be confusing for those of us who recall the area from years ago when the Albany Park library was in.....Albany Park!). I grew up in Norwood Park but had friends who lived in Forest Glen and others who went to Northeastern IL University and North Park College and spent a good deal of time in that area, especially in the parks (Eugene Field, Gompers, River) and always thought of it as Albany Park. I see the river is the border (and cuts through the parks). Anyway, the area where my friends are located in Albany Park is on the border of North Park just off Foster and has historically been a safe area as far as the city goes. Every time I have visited, it does not seem much different than what I remember from my teens and early twenties. But I guess if going to the south end of Albany Park, things can get dicey now. All I remember about that area was knowing some kids at Roosevelt HS and catching the Ravenswood el (now the Brown Line) at the terminal on Kimball and Lawrence. Back in the day, that was a safe area, but I guess not now.

Good to see a couple hundred residents from the neighborhood coming together on Sunday in a peaceful demonstration to ask for more police protection and not to defund police. And the mayor said she will move more police to the district. Maybe the tide is slowly starting to turn.

Last edited by wjj; 09-22-2020 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-22-2020, 09:04 AM

wjj, good morning. I will say this about the area of the Brown line terminal. They really built up the area across the street on Kimball. That area was seedy looking many years ago. I remember I almost got into a bar fight with a Korean guy in a hole in the wall Korean bar.

Now, it looks a lot better. Albany Park is very diverse. I am a huge fan of the Mayfair neighborhood. As far as I can see, it is a very family oriented, clean and safe part of the city as well.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:35 AM

WHAT IS THIS??? I was planning got come in to bike ride again on Sunday, and was just now informed that as of Friday we are not permitted into Chicago!!

That makes me sad! I may have to do like I did last time, where I ride across the street, in Niles, Skokie and Lincolnwood, and give you all a loving wave! ;(

Take care, my Chicago family. Stay safe, healthy, and happy.

And as a Wisconsinite, I SHALL, TOO!!

Old 09-24-2020, 04:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,351,000 times
You guys need to get your stuff in order up there in Wisco.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/...ates/wisconsin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago