Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 12:12 PM

68 posts, read 53,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Manson Lamps, Now you're going too FAR!!!!!

Those are great beaches, though!

But go ahead and through a "park" park, if you like!

I stay close to the lake so I don't get out to the actual parks too much. Though we like to hit up the Lincoln Park Zoo fairly frequently so I guess that would have to be on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 12:35 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
No love for Humboldt?

Old 01-26-2021, 12:48 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
I love Humboldt Park. I think it's a beautiful park, but must admit I take it for granted because it's only half a block away from my house.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:12 PM

223 posts, read 170,197 times
The best parks are Horner, winnemac, Gompers park wetlands, portage, oz, Lincoln, Welles, independence and Holstein park.

Also riis, humboldt and Garfield park are nice it’s just the neighborhoods are not that safe.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:21 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
Agree on the phone comment for sure. And yes you are correct that Gage and Marquette are further south than you normally go. You mentioned in another post about possibly going Western ave form north to south and if making that trip you would pass the eastern side of Gage park. I did that drive right before Christmas. Traffic was heavy so I couldn't look to long, but the park has definitely seen better days, but that started a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
hendersj31, hello. Been a while? I have never been to either of the parks you mentioned. I think they're more south than I typically travel.

I think Marquette will always have a certain connotation due to the demonstration that took place there.

But I much prefer your trip down memory lane when a playground sprinkler, NOT a cell phone, was a kid's pleasure of the day!

Thank you for sharing!

Old 01-26-2021, 01:26 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Manson Lamps, yes Lincoln Park is an awesome park.

I just read recently that there used to be a main cemetery there that had to be moved!

Also recently I watch an 80s movie, Code of Silence, with Chuck Norris. There was filming in front of the Conservatory as well as in the zoo!

Old 01-26-2021, 01:29 PM

aga412 and quigboto, hello and thank you for sharing.

I've seen some awesome vintage photos of Humboldt Park, where the people are wearing full dresses and syits, yet are in canoes in the pond! Gotta love those days!

2 summers ago when the croc was being sought out I rode my bicycle through there. They still allowed kids to swim in the swimming hole. I thought: noooooo way! Even with the lifeguard rowing that canoe in there, they'd never outrow a swimming hungry croc!

Old 01-26-2021, 01:34 PM

Chicagoisthebest, you out there shovelling?

Thanks for the park shout outs. I feel like I've either been to at least once, or certainly drove by, those mentioned in your good list.

As a Lincoln Square lover, Welles Park is in my heart! I have a ton of memories there. But Winnemac with its flowers and dog lovers is very nice, too.

Gompers I know from bicycle riding the North Branch Trail.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:38 PM

hendersj31 we need to all protest and "Burn the phone!"

.... as I reply to you, here, on my phone...

I never did get in that long drive. I really need to, be it Halsted, Western or Cicero. It would be a great new exploring journey for me.

As you know, although I live in Milwaukee, I've been to Chicago ONE or TWO times

Old 01-26-2021, 01:39 PM

223 posts, read 170,197 times
Masterjay, Yes it snowed a Ton out here. Have you been to Horner park. That area ravens wood manor is really nice. Horner park is along side the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago