Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 01:42 PM

4,612 posts, read 3,160,983 times

Advertisements

BOBNCHI, YES to Whelen Pool! I took the kids there a couple of times. Not as much play things offered as that in Skokie's Oakton Park, but the price is also right. And still a PERFECT place to hit the pool on a hot day!

God willing we can get in a day in summer of 2021!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 02:08 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,121,868 times
Burnham Park and Jackson Park are my favorites. Jackson has a lot of different areas with golf, soccer, meadows and the tea house. Burnham Park has that lakefront!

Old 01-27-2021, 02:10 PM

Manigault, good afternoon!

I am not familiar AS much with south side areas, going beyond 35th Street, typically.

Jackson Park I had heard of, and I ALMOST went there back in 2013 with a then-girlfriend.

Burnham Park, I had to look up!

Thank you for sharing!!

Old 01-28-2021, 09:12 AM

Good morning, everyone. Today is my FRIDAY this week!!!

Supposedly more snow coming in this weekend, and I am NOT trying to hear that!

Only 2 clients so far this morning so I have a bit of FUN time here!

Can anyone support a shout out for: Norwood Park!?!

Great neighborhood. It is one of 2 public parks in the city that has a slide in the pool (The other I am told is Humboldt Park.... and I am not counting Whealan, as that is a different type of park).

Plus, Norwood Park has a nice new style playground (looks like the same designers that put in the new park at Armour Square Park).

And Norwood Park has a nice size enclosed dog park.

Besides that, I love the big, what I call "southern" looking homes in that neighborhood; big porches, big lawns.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:35 AM

886 posts, read 646,831 times
I grew up by Indian Boundary. Always loved it.
Hubby grew up by Portage Park. He loved to swim there and skate in the winter. We both remember when Mark Spitz did the Olympic Trials there.
As a kid, in the 60s, Chicago had a lot of small neighborhood parks. Skated in them in the winter. Leone along the Lake and Waveland were favorites of mine.
First house we bought in Chicago, we spent a lot of time at Independence Park and Gompers Park.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:45 AM

EllieKay56, good morning. I KNEW you'd be celebrating Indian Boundary Park!!! Were you still going there when they had their mini zoo? I sure wish I would have known about it then!

Sounds like your hubby can relate to what a couple of our contributors have shared, regarding Portage Park!!

Old 01-28-2021, 11:38 AM

886 posts, read 646,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
EllieKay56, good morning. I KNEW you'd be celebrating Indian Boundary Park!!! Were you still going there when they had their mini zoo? I sure wish I would have known about it then!

Sounds like your hubby can relate to what a couple of our contributors have shared, regarding Portage Park!!
Yes I was there when the Zoo was there. We also took our kids there when they had a Zoo. When my son was born we lived about 2 miles from there and walked there frequently to hang with the other moms. As a kid we loved seeing the animals. There was also a duck pond. Such good memories.

When I was a kid they had bears, deer, yaks, llamas, reindeer, alpacas, rabbits, goats, swans and pheasants.

Last edited by EllieKay56; 01-28-2021 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-28-2021, 12:39 PM

EllieKay56, I think I missed the mini zoo by only a couple of years.

But obviously the fish and the turtles are in the pond still. And my children and I love to see them in summer.

Also, Indian Boundary park has hosted a trick-or-treat/Halloween themed celebration in October, that we have been to a couple of times.

I wish I could have seen the park the way you did, though!!! Sounds like great, great memories!

Thank you for sharing.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:26 PM

9,882 posts, read 9,489,873 times
speaking of Indian Boundary Park etc, did you all ever watch any of Geoffrey Behr's tours of Chicago, the beginning of the Chicago River (the real one, not the manmade one) is over that way. Sometimes on his tours you can see some of the parks, in fact he does have a video that features the parks and the boulevards which align with the parks. sometimes WTTW has a show about the national parks.

anyway the real beginning of the chicago river up north is a drainage where water trickles from there and then going forward.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:49 PM

ChicagoMeO, I am trying to look up his work on youtube, but so far I have not had the best of luck.

I do like the development with the parks along the river, in particular what they have been doing by River Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago