U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,781,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I know talking about invasive fish species is cool and exciting, but isn't anyone else psyched about all the jobs moving to the Loop, not to mention stealing an HQ from Houston? It seems like Houston was caught unprepared for the loss of Continental HQ (As airlines embrace, workers brace for job losses | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle)

“There will be people who will lose their jobs at 1600 Smith (Continental's downtown headquarters), just as there will be people who will lose their jobs in Chicago,” said Continental CEO Jeff Smisek, who will become CEO of the new airline and move to Chicago but keep an office in Houston. “You eliminate duplicate functions. That's part of the savings of a merger.”

As airlines embrace, workers brace for job losses | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 12:33 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,027,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
said Continental CEO Jeff Smisek, who will become CEO of the new airline and move to Chicago but keep an office in Houston. “You eliminate duplicate functions. That's part of the savings of a merger.”
funny how duplicate functions at the executive level rarely seem to be eliminated...

Old 05-06-2010, 08:37 AM

256 posts, read 458,751 times
Someone was talking about being young, single and in the suburbs and how horrible that would be... well that would be a massive improvement for me, I'm young, (28 years old), single (girlfriend of 2 years is all), and in northern lower Michigan. The biggest town is Traverse City, Michigan and thats an hour and a half away! And the snowfall here is over 150 inches per winter, and the town only has 3,000 people.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 AM

830 posts, read 1,042,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
To be young, single, and in the burbs. Sounds like complete hell to me.
Life in the burbs is HELL.

I ALWAYS wanted to live in an exciting urban atmosphere, the kind that is offered only in cities of the magnitude of NYC, Chicago, San Fran, etc.

I am 37 now, but FINALLY moved to the city (Lakeview, in Chicago) about 10 years ago. I spent part of my 20's stuck in the burbs (for career reasons), specifically in Naperville, and I was MISERABLE the whole time. Once I moved to the city, I have never regretted it and have NEVER looked back.

A few times, I have gone out to Naperville with my girlfriend to see her family, and when I am there, I cant WAIT to get back to my apartment in the city later that night.

And sure, Naperville is a nice place, and offers a surprisingly walkable, urban downtown area, but once you get outside the 5-square block CBD (Central Business District, aka Downtown), it is just any normal suburb - bland, boring, with strip malls, non-walkable, no culture, people with unfriendly attitudes, office parks with retention ponds...bleh.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:01 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,646,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
Someone was talking about being young, single and in the suburbs and how horrible that would be... well that would be a massive improvement for me, I'm young, (28 years old), single (girlfriend of 2 years is all), and in northern lower Michigan. The biggest town is Traverse City, Michigan and thats an hour and a half away! And the snowfall here is over 150 inches per winter, and the town only has 3,000 people.
I guess everyone's definition of hell is relative.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 AM

United headquarters: $35 million in city aid helped Willis, city land United operations headquarters - chicagotribune.com

No surprise, but 215 Continental flight control jobs will be moving to the Sears/Willis Tower (from Houston).

Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Default Sara Lee plans Chicago move

Sara Lee plans Chicago move - chicagotribune.com

Not a done deal yet, but the company has been hinting about the move for a while.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:10 PM

8,118 posts, read 6,119,081 times
So are we finally hearing the "MOOB" (boom backwards) that urbanists have been predicting? Most of the transit for 50 miles around goes to the loop, though some far suburban residents may not like the long train ride.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
So are we finally hearing the "MOOB" (boom backwards) that urbanists have been predicting? Most of the transit for 50 miles around goes to the loop, though some far suburban residents may not like the long train ride.
Motorola/Google is also hunting for Loop office space.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:21 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,606,836 times
Sara lee is splitting into two companies , I wonder if they will ditch D. Grove all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago