Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:47 AM
far far started this thread

5 posts, read 33,752 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am coming to chicago in August to start my graduate study at Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT). I have got 1200 USD/month stipend. Please let me know if it is reasonable value for living and how much should I pay for renting a studio near IIT.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 02:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
It certainly won't be a glamorous living but it's doable. If you look hard enough you should be able to find a studio for about of $650/mo near there, possibly even inclusive of most utilities. Be aware that the neighborhood near IIT is a bit rough here and there, and considerably less so west of the expressway than east. Of course, this presumes you'll be attending the main campus. If you're attending a downtown campus, a different response may be in order.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 AM

Hi Drover and thanks for your reply.
Yes, I will attend the main campus. Would you please clarify about " Be aware that the neighborhood near IIT is a bit rough here and there, and considerably less so west of the expressway than east."
Unfortunately I do not have enough info about chicago and I would be grateful if you introduce me some useful online sources.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:54 AM

I saw "Read This First- ?'s About Neighborhoods Or Moving To Chicago (or FOOD!)? Read This Before Asking Your Questions!" and it seems to be a good resource!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 14,653 times
Default Studio near IIT

Hello. I am currently a student at iit main campus.
First of all, I think $1200 should be enough for a studio. As the previous person said, you may be able to get as low as $650. The rent for most of studios I saw are around $700~$800. However, I would strongly suggest you to decide where to live once you are here and make sure that you feel comfortable with the location of where you want to live. I do not feel so safe in some areas around the campus (particularly 35th street and below, Martin Luther King Dr, 22nd ~ 29th & state, and etc). Also, have you considered on-campus housing? They have a studio for graduate students for around $700 I believe.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by far View Post
Hi Drover and thanks for your reply.
Yes, I will attend the main campus. Would you please clarify about " Be aware that the neighborhood near IIT is a bit rough here and there, and considerably less so west of the expressway than east."
OK, here's the story. Up until a couple years ago, much of the area surrounding IIT's main campus was an absolutely horrible neighborhood, including high-rise projects that stretched on for miles. It was seriously one of the worst neighborhoods in the country. Well, the projects have all been torn down and the area has improved tremendously, but some elements of the bad ol' days are still present here and there in the neighborhood.

If you look at the campus on a map, you'll notice that it sits right next to a huge expressway. On the other side of that expressway is a neighborhood called Bridgeport. (Technically the area immediately to the west of the expressway is Armour Square and then right next to it is Bridgeport, but many people consider it one single neighborhood under the Bridgeport banner). Bridgeport is and long has been a safe and stable neighborhood. So if you want a bit more peace of mind but still want to be close to campus, I would suggest looking for housing in Bridgeport and/or Armour Square.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:17 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I think that you would have to temper your comments about Bridgeport/Armour Square/Canaryville being a safe neighborhood for people not of a particular race...

I would also disagree that the area directly adjacent to the IIT campus having being an "absolutely horrible neighborhood". The open expanse of the Campus itself and the adjacent areas owned by the University & IITRI have been well policed and uninviting to criminals both petty and serious. The various high rises that stretch almost out to the lake have been safe, though due to unfounded biases never attracted the same upscale residents as areas to the north. This sort of thing is fostered by the attitude that "south == bad" in Chicago...

While there is some truth that State St. north of the campus has long been far different than the section south of the Campus, there are were always worse areas. In fact, directly east of IIT lies Illinois College of Optometry, VanderCook College of Music, and De Lasalle Institue where Mayor Daley went to high school, which all have been a safe zone.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think that you would have to temper your comments about Bridgeport/Armour Square/Canaryville being a safe neighborhood for people not of a particular race...
Really? In 2008? When's the last time you were actually there? My wife and I are there at least every two weeks and there are people of all races hanging out there and generally minding their own business.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:02 AM

Thanks Drover for infos.
Hi Meursault, 1200$/month is for all living cost. I am living outside US and I have no idea about the aditional costs. I would be grateful if you let me know rough estimate of electricity, telephone, TV, Internet, food, transportation... costs, there.
About the studio, since I am outside US, I prefer to find a place before coming. Though if it seems not a good idea maybe living in campus for the first semester is a solution.
Meursault, may I know where do you live and how much is your approx monthly cost?

Old 05-11-2008, 05:52 PM

If you can live in campus housing your first semester, I would highly suggest it. Hopefully your stipend will provide enough for you to do that. That way you can get a better feel for the area around the campus and decide for yourself where you'd prefer to rent. Not to mention it's never a good idea to rent an apartment sight unseen. If you do live on campus, most of your utilities will be paid for. The university website should have information about the cost of meal plans in the dorms. Transportation is part of your mandatory school fees; you will pay $87 per semester for an unlimited-use CTA pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago