Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 10:18 AM

15 posts, read 16,511 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Nashville Tennessee but me and my fiance are considering moving to Chicago. I have lived in Chicago before (Edgewater, Buena Park, Old Town, Roscoe Village and West Logan Square) and miss living there. I am originally from Nashville but miss Chicago daily.

Anyway, I have the option to transfer jobs in two years to either the Oak Brook location or Schaumburg location of my current employer. I honestly wish they had a location in the city but that is not an option at the moment unfortunately. I am not 100% sure of my schedule in those areas but it will either be from early morning until 2:00/3:00p or 3:00p - midnight. This is not happening for another two years and I cannot say 100% what my schedule will be but I can say I am definitely shooting for a normal daytime schedule.

With that being said, how would the commute from Lincoln Square or Edgewater be to either location? The Oak Brook location is in the Oak Brook Center and the Schaumburg location is near East Dr & East Golf Road. What would be the best location to work if living in Lincoln Square or Edgewater? Also, Chicago isnt our only option. I have the opportunity to go to Houston, Dallas, or Denver. I have thought about choosing another city over Chicago, even though I miss the city, because of everything going on in Chicago and other cities that make it less than desirable. My fiance will be working Downtown in The Loop or Streeterville and will not have this problem. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MichWolverines1983; 12-12-2021 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 11:02 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverines1983 View Post
I am currently living in Nashville Tennessee but me and my fiance are considering moving to Chicago. I have lived in Chicago before (Edgewater, Buena Park, Old Town, Roscoe Village and West Logan Square) and miss living there. I am originally from Nashville but miss Chicago daily.

Anyway, I have the option to transfer jobs in two years to either the Oak Brook location or Schaumburg location of my current employer. I honestly wish they had a location in the city but that is not an option at the moment unfortunately. I am not 100% sure of my schedule in those areas but it will either be from early morning until 2:00/3:00p or 3:00p - midnight. This is not happening for another two years and I cannot say 100% what my schedule will be but I can say I am definitely shooting for a normal daytime schedule.

With that being said, how would the commute from Lincoln Square or Edgewater be to either location? The Oak Brook location is in the Oak Brook Center and the Schaumburg location is near East Dr & East Golf Road. What would be the best location to work if living in Lincoln Square or Edgewater? Also, Chicago isnt our only option. I have the opportunity to go to Houston, Dallas, or Denver. I have thought about choosing another city over Chicago, even though I miss the city, because of everything going on in Chicago and other cities that make it less than desirable. My fiance will be working Downtown in The Loop or Streeterville and will not have this problem. Thanks in advance.
This is a miserable commuting prospect. I would look into locations along I-94. If you can afford it, West Town (Wicker Park, Bucktown, etc.). I would also look in Logan Square. Renting or buying?

Old 12-12-2021, 11:07 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,515,980 times
Just my opinion, as I used to travel to both areas frequently from the Old Irving Park area.

I would give the edge to Schaumburg simply due to it having better options if there are traffic issues on the tollway. There are plenty of east/west roads that can be used that feed into or out of the Lincoln Sq or Edgewater areas.

Going to/from Oak Brook via I294 is actually similar time wise as to going to Schaumburg. But, while there are plenty of east/west roads should there be a traffic issue, many of these roads go through highly congested areas and can be brutally s-l-o-w!

In winter, all bets are off!

Old 12-12-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
This is a miserable commuting prospect. I would look into locations along I-94. If you can afford it, West Town (Wicker Park, Bucktown, etc.). I would also look in Logan Square. Renting or buying?
Thank you but the Wicker Park/Bucktown area is not an area we would like to settle down. We will be renting at first and then purchasing a home within 5 years. I would rather live/rent in the area we plan to purchase settle down in. With work scheduling it just makes more sense to be closer to available homes so we can easily/quickly check them out if we are interested. Logan Square might be an option but I would rather stick to the Lincoln Square or Edgewater areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Just my opinion, as I used to travel to both areas frequently from the Old Irving Park area.

I would give the edge to Schaumburg simply due to it having better options if there are traffic issues on the tollway. There are plenty of east/west roads that can be used that feed into or out of the Lincoln Sq or Edgewater areas.

Going to/from Oak Brook via I294 is actually similar time wise as to going to Schaumburg. But, while there are plenty of east/west roads should there be a traffic issue, many of these roads go through highly congested areas and can be brutally s-l-o-w!

In winter, all bets are off!
I was thinking the same thing honestly. Schaumburg seems to make the most sense to work if living in Lincoln Square or Edgewater. I honestly wish my company had a location in the city. This is not an easy decision and something we have talked about for some time. Like I said in my original post, Houston, Dallas, and Denver are also options for me. If my job was in the city I wouldn't have this debate in my head. This is a tough decision but we have time.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:52 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times
Have you considered the NW neighborhoods like Jefferson Park as a compromise. It would be a better commute to Schaumburg, but you’d still be close enough to go to Lincoln Square or Edgewater when you want. Also, it’s not a terrible commute downtown/Loop for your husband.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:08 AM

529 posts, read 646,680 times
I did the Lincoln Square to Schaumburg-area commute 10 years ago. If you leave early enough in the morning (like 6am) it was about 45 minutes. The afternoon commute back will be at least an hour. I found taking Foster to I90/94 was the quickest route.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:48 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,242,892 times
Good day,

personone seems to have struck a rather good balance, in their suggestion.

And then reading deeman7's experience, I feel like 45 to 60 minutes is A LOT, at minimum 5 days a week.

BUT, that also brings me to THIS point: on the driving time spectrum, some people do not do well with longer drives; and others have no problem with it.

For some people, the long drive is added frustration, and for others it is a time to decompress, self-talk, etc.

YOU know yourselves better than anyone else in the world. So assess if drive time IS a positive OR negative factor.

Best to you... Best to you ALL!

Old 12-13-2021, 08:05 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,846,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
I did the Lincoln Square to Schaumburg-area commute 10 years ago. If you leave early enough in the morning (like 6am) it was about 45 minutes. The afternoon commute back will be at least an hour. I found taking Foster to I90/94 was the quickest route.
Listen to this poster. This is solid information.

OP, your proposed schedule helps. Those are off-hours. Edgewater seems like a bear either way - I'd cross that off. You can perhaps move to the western side of Lincoln Square to cut down the ride to the expressway and then pick Schaumburg.

Old 12-19-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Have you considered the NW neighborhoods like Jefferson Park as a compromise. It would be a better commute to Schaumburg, but you’d still be close enough to go to Lincoln Square or Edgewater when you want. Also, it’s not a terrible commute downtown/Loop for your husband.
Not, I have not considered Jefferson Park. Something to look into. Also, I am the boyfriend and the one working Downtown would be the girlfriend. Too bad my company doesn't have a location in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
Thank you! Sounds like sokid advice. Also, I am not 100% sure it would be an AM schedule but I am going to try my best to make that happen in two years when we will be making a final decision on where to move (Chicago, Denver, Dallas, or Houston). If it is an AM schedule I'm sure I'll have to be there around 6am so I would leave before then obviously m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Listen to this poster. This is solid information.

OP, your proposed schedule helps. Those are off-hours. Edgewater seems like a bear either way - I'd cross that off. You can perhaps move to the western side of Lincoln Square to cut down the ride to the expressway and then pick Schaumburg.
This is my preferred choice but I am not 100% opposed to moving to Logan Square again. I would just prefer not to. We will see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago