Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:02 PM

863 posts, read 2,774,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I know, but I guess I do tourist-y things sometimes. To the average passer-by, I'd appear to be a tourist,no?
Heh. I'm into photography, too, so I'd like to think I'd recognize the difference. In reality, though, it would **** me off to see you in the middle of the street taking pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
Heh. I'm into photography, too, so I'd like to think I'd recognize the difference. In reality, though, it would **** me off to see you in the middle of the street taking pictures.
I hopped up onto one of those big ol' planters on Michigan Ave and had to wait for a red light to make my mad dash back to the sidewalk before I became roadkill. FYI, I wouldnt stand in the middle of the street, on a green, taking pictures. Thats suicide!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
The biggest ones for me:

Navy Pier. People come visit and say "wow, you must be down here hanging out every weekend!!!". Umm, no. Just when you visit.

Walking slowly up the street downtown side-by-side, and unaware that not everyone is on a verrrry easy paced vacation.

Never knowing which one is the Sears Tower and which is Hancock.

Paying $11 or whatever to go up in the Hancock skydeck, when you can go one floor ABOVE that for free.....and get drunk.

Being amazed that you can't see across the lake.

*Getting on the L and then stopping right away in the door so no one else can get on.
*Trying to push on the L before they let the 27 people in the train off.
*Absolutely refusing, and just not being aware, that you should get off the train to let others off behind you. Yes dear, it's OK, you WILL be able to get back on the train once they leave. We're not going to leave you. I've seen some people on crowded trains almost in tears when they're being slowly shoved off the train by a ton of people behind them.
*IS THIS TRAIN GOING TO WRIGLEY FIELD?!?! No, you and the 98% of people on this train wearing Cubs gear is all a huge cooincidence.

I also like situations like riding a Brown Line train towards Kimball, and some guy with luggage will ask "Is this a Blue Line to the Airport?". No, remember how the conductor just announced it was a Brown Line train to Kimball, the automated announcer guys also said it a few times, the BROWN sign in the window says Kimball, and the signs at the train station when you walked up said "Brown Line" and "Kimball / Loop". I honestly can totally see how it happens with many people never using trains, but I guess I'm just so use to traveling around the US and Europe those things are just second nature.

Standing side by side on the escalator, and being offended when someone tries to squeeze by.

The worst for me is the very slow walking, and the unexplained sudden stops they make as they either look up at the buildings, or try and figure out where in the hell they are. Otherwise I love living in a city with a ton of tourists. It makes you feel good and appreciate that you are blessed enough to live somewhere that SO many people want to visit for themselves. Growing up in Iowa we only went other places, we rarely had anyone come to us to see how we live our lives, and what we have to offer.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 05-20-2008 at 04:49 PM..

Old 05-20-2008, 05:43 PM

5,459 posts, read 12,193,813 times
Tourists base alot of their visions of Chicago on movies.

They're looking for Sandra Bullock somewhere on an L platform or are they oblivious to the sense of urgency in everyone else's eyes as they use public transportation to....uhm...go to work.

They're looking for John Cusack in some touristy bar or John Belushi in the Billy Goat tavern...saying stupid stuff like "cheeseburgah, cheeseburgah"....

Oh I could go on and on....

Old 05-20-2008, 06:10 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,199,478 times
Cubs fans that do not know how to use the CTA. yes, it may be the "best" way to get to Wrigley Field, but by god, I've been at work all day and am just trying to get home so don't give me dirty looks when I brush past you and know how to use a transit card.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Oh, that standing by the "L" doors just kills me! Suburbanites do this with their families pretty often as well. I have something to say to these people: MOVE TO THE CENTER OF THE CAR! YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO GET OFF WITH YOUR WHOLE FAMILY!!!!! YOU ARE IN THE WAY AND ARE TOO FREAKIN' DENSE TO REALIZE THAT! EVERYONE ON THIS TRAIN WHO USES IT EVERY DAY HATES YOU RIGHT NOW!!!!

I don't usually yell on these forums, but phew, that felt good.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:05 PM

287 posts, read 1,023,662 times
Suburban Cubs fans not knowing how to use public transit is one of my biggest pet peeves. It made me become a half-as*ed White Sox fan out pure spite. People standing right inside the door or not letting people off before they get on is wicked annoying. Using a transit card should be confusing maybe 2 times, tops. And people who fare going to use public transit for a round trip to an event (Cubs game whatever) but for some reason can't think to load enough for two trips on their transit card thus creating even backlog at the end of anything drive me insane. Of course none of these is a strictly Chicago phenomenon just complaints about people who don't know how to use public transit.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
Suburban Cubs fans not knowing how to use public transit is one of my biggest pet peeves. It made me become a half-as*ed White Sox fan out pure spite.
Kind of ironic since one of the reasons Sox fans give about why Wrigley Field sucks is that there's no parking. At least Cubs fans are actually aware of the presence of public transit and actually, like, use it.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 PM

381 posts, read 837,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
*Absolutely refusing, and just not being aware, that you should get off the train to let others off behind you. Yes dear, it's OK, you WILL be able to get back on the train once they leave. We're not going to leave you. I've seen some people on crowded trains almost in tears when they're being slowly shoved off the train by a ton of people behind them.
Hahaha. . . how cute.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:24 PM

287 posts, read 1,023,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Kind of ironic since one of the reasons Sox fans give about why Wrigley Field sucks is that there's no parking. At least Cubs fans are actually aware of the presence of public transit and actually, like, use it.
I'm not claiming it's a rational thing. If I lived on the south side and had to contend with White Sox related traffic (public transit or otherwise) it would probably would have gone the other way. Really I'm a Red Sox fan and any other baseball team I take a shine to is just kinda filler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago