Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,222 times

Advertisements

I was just trying to find anyone getting into the Realtor side of the business. I am getting my license as a loan officer and I was wondering if there are any old or new Realtors that have any pointers for me. How did you get in touch with your loan officer? How did they approach you? Have you been approached? etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Realtors get approached all the time so it may not be a productive way to generate business. Also many established RE agents already have someone they use. If you want to target realtors I would suggest you approach newly minted realtors that just received their RE license. In order to do this you might want to find out where the realestate schools are that offer the courses and visit a few and get to know the soon to be agents. You could also talk to some of the class instructors and asked to be introduced. YOU MUST have something to offer. Helping a first year realtor become successful is the best thing you can offer!!

Since you're starting out, they'll be more receptive you you. If you do it this way you could meet dozens of new RE agents. The beauty of it is if a few don't produce business for you, you still have a few that will and you can keep going back to "the well". It's your own little RE agent machine. But your approach should be to show THEM how to be successfull as a FIrst Year agent.

You must give them a reason to want to work with you. If you focus on making them successful they sure as hell will make you successful. If i were you I would do something that MOST loan officers will not and don't do- I would get my R.E. license as well. First off you will be taking the training course with soon to be RE agents( you'll be a big fish in a small pond) and second you'll understand R.E. from a realtors perspective. When you understand what someone has to deal with, it's easier to help make them successful.

What you have to do is carve out your own Niche. You have to have a specialty inorder to prevent yourself from looking like all the other Loan officers chasing the same VERY LIMITED loan customers.

You could specialize in helping people that just relocated to the city for job purposes find homes. Usualy these folks are staying in coporate housing untill they find their ideal home. You are your realtor could partner up and play "tennis" with the prospect. 2 things just happened 1) you know they are looking for a home and 2), they probably earn a decent income and have good enough credit to qualify for a conventional loan. Since they are new to the city, they have know idea how the established RE agents are.

Just an idea............

Pick a copy of "The Millionare R.E. agent" It's a book about how RE agents can become successful. Also read anything on the subject of helping RE agents become successful. You want to known as their go to guy(Mentor/Savior) when they want to learn "how it's done" right.

Your job is to serve,serve,serve. He who serves the most profits the most!!!

Good luck

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yval23 View Post
I was just trying to find anyone getting into the Realtor side of the business. I am getting my license as a loan officer and I was wondering if there are any old or new Realtors that have any pointers for me. How did you get in touch with your loan officer? How did they approach you? Have you been approached? etc. Thanks.

Last edited by Ron.; 05-21-2008 at 01:47 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
ChicagoRon has some good points. I'd go farther. Given that A LOT of banks that used to use mortgage brokers have shut down their wholesale business I think it is smarter to either work for a Bank that generates lots of leads from existing customers and gives them to the in-house mortgage dept. OR just become a full time Realtor and use your knowledge of mortgages to be a well rounded Real Estate pro/investor.

Good Luck!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:00 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
CE, great POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
ChicagoRon has some good points. I'd go farther. Given that A LOT of banks that used to use mortgage brokers have shut down their wholesale business I think it is smarter to either work for a Bank that generates lots of leads from existing customers and gives them to the in-house mortgage dept. OR just become a full time Realtor and use your knowledge of mortgages to be a well rounded Real Estate pro/investor.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago