Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 07:15 PM

409 posts, read 871,367 times

Advertisements

I'm travelling later this year and looks like I will be making a connecting flight in Chicago at Midway Airport (Phoenix to Louisville is the flight) with a layover of little under 3 hours to change planes. The flight is suppose to arrive at 6:10 AM local time and depart 9:00 AM local time. The airline is Southwest. I originally had a nonstop flight, that was the normal flight for me the past several years I've flown this route and this year is the first time I've had a connecting flight.

I fully expect that should be enough time under regular conditions. However, I've never flown through Midway before so I don't know often regular conditions occur there. Should I be looking other flights, there is a nonstop flight between the destinations later in the day (about ten-twelve hours later) or fly out a day earlier for the conference.

What all do I need to know to fly through Midway airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 07:37 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
We fly on Southwest in and out of Midway pretty regularly and unless there is some big weather event that's backing up the flights, you should have no problem whatsoever with this connection.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:40 PM

7,065 posts, read 4,510,340 times
3 hours is more than enough time. I usually fly to ohare but have went to midway also.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:10 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
I'm travelling later this year and looks like I will be making a connecting flight in Chicago at Midway Airport (Phoenix to Louisville is the flight) with a layover of little under 3 hours to change planes. The flight is suppose to arrive at 6:10 AM local time and depart 9:00 AM local time. The airline is Southwest. I originally had a nonstop flight, that was the normal flight for me the past several years I've flown this route and this year is the first time I've had a connecting flight.

I fully expect that should be enough time under regular conditions. However, I've never flown through Midway before so I don't know often regular conditions occur there. Should I be looking other flights, there is a nonstop flight between the destinations later in the day (about ten-twelve hours later) or fly out a day earlier for the conference.

FYI, before this comes up, I've cross posted this question in both the Travel and Aviation forums. I am posting here also to get those flyers who go through Midway often
Southwest has a major hub at Midway using concourse A & B. Have the flight crew help you find the new gate. For the about 3 hours there are some shops & restaurants to check out.

Midway is a smallish airport and you may find the flying experience different. Getting into & out of Midway becomes a little more fun. Heed any crew advice to have any device securely stowed for arrival & departure. At those times in the AM flights should be ontime barring any weather problems.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:39 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
I frequently fly in and out of Midway and it’s generally a breeze. It’s a small and easy to navigate airport with three terminals, none of which is particularly far from the others. The longest walk would be from the far end of B to the far end of A and even that is maybe 10 minutes tops? 3 hours is more than enough time to relax a bit, grab breakfast, etc.

The only potential issue as stated is if the PHX-MDW flight is delayed and you miss the connecting flight but I wouldn’t expect that to happen. Still, if you absolutely need to be in Louisville at a certain time it might be safe to fly in the night before, which is true for any destination/airport/airline. But you can’t always plan for every contingency.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:42 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Three hours is at least two more than you'll need. Midway isn't a huge airport like its bigger Chicago sibling, O'Hare. There are two concourses that extend outward from a central area where you'll find most of the food choices in the airport. It's all very straightforward and nothing to worry about.

You don't say what time of year you'll be traveling. If it's winter, then snow could be an issue. If it's summer, thunderstorms could be an issue. But summer storms tend to happen mainly in the late afternoon, long after you will have come and gone.

If you have time (and you will), take a few minutes to peruse the Battle of Midway memorial near the edge of the central area. It's easy to find; just look for the SBD Dauntless (a World War II dive bomber) hanging from the ceiling.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
3 hours is more than ample, even with Southwest’s current dumpster fire of an on-time schedule

Old 04-23-2022, 12:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
MDW only has two small concourses for SWA connections. 40 min adequate between flights at furthest apart gates. https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...l-mdw-airport/

I envy your 6am arrival from PHX. I didn't realize SWA did any 'red-eye' flights (my preference since I am a farmer... it is easy to fly in the dark, but not so easy to farm in the dark.) I prefer to be outside during all daylight hours.

You will have no problem, except a lot of free time.

If you are lucky, SWA will change that flight and you can then choose a shorter version (But SWA is not gonna have a direct PHX>SDF)

Old 04-23-2022, 03:47 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post

If you are flying on Southwest through Midway out of Phoenix or Tucson, you will generally have a three hour layover from my experience. And when you have a layover of that duration, your plane always arrives on time.

Southwest uses both the A and the B terminals which are separated by a large food court. The food is pretty good in the terminal. However, it is priced about 50% higher than it was in 2019 and many of the favorites have closed. They have also built a number of places in the middle aisles of the terminals which make the whole place more crowded and less desirable than it was a few years back.

If you have a lot of time, I would suggest that you check out Terminal C which is near the food court. They have a yoga room and a chapel. In addition, there are a couple of gates that are rarely used. That is where you can go and get away from all of the noise and congestion. There are also a lot of plugs where you can recharge all of your equipment.

Do realize that Southwest also serves Cincinnati (CVG) and generally, those flights from Arizona to Cincinnati are less expensive than Louisville these days. That is a real change from the days when Cincinnati was a Delta monopoly and we would be flying into Louisville or Columbus.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:52 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
MDW is my home airport and it's smallish. Three hours is more than enough time to connect, even in some of the worst conditions. Often you'll routinely see 30 minute connections! Here is a interactive map link to show your options, gates, restaurants, shops, etc, while there.

https://www.flychicago.com/midway/ma...s/default.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago