Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 07:17 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/08/the-...to-penske.html

At least according to this article, which doesn't surprise me.

While I left Chicago a while back, I do know a couple of people who have either moved (from LA) for the first time there, and a few more who returned after leaving.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 07:16 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post

While I left Chicago a while back, I do know a couple of people who have either moved (from LA) for the first time there, and a few more who returned after leaving.

Thoughts?
Not surprising. It's as I mentioned in another thread. Chicago is well-positioned for a pretty nice rebound.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:35 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post

Thoughts?
Not surprising. I moved 5 years ago from FL. While this may seem odd, at this point a lot of these places don’t have good pay vs. salary. The pay in FL is a lot less. I looked at the neighborhood I left and properties seem to be going for 2-3x as much as they were selling for five years ago. I doubt wages have increased that much. A lot of people who left were leaving due to COVID restrictions, but most things are opened back up now. A lot of the good changes like increased outdoor dining seem to have remained intact. When I was in River North a few weeks ago when we had that 80-degree day, Clark Street was closed in River North and was very lively.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:32 PM

74 posts, read 67,267 times
I'm curious about the data because Uhaul has been pointing towards Chicago being a leader of net exodus of population. But overall population loss seems to be southside out and northside in, which given the higher cost I wouldn't expect as many Penske trucks to be used to move out.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:07 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Not surprising. I moved 5 years ago from FL. While this may seem odd, at this point a lot of these places don’t have good pay vs. salary. The pay in FL is a lot less. I looked at the neighborhood I left and properties seem to be going for 2-3x as much as they were selling for five years ago. I doubt wages have increased that much. A lot of people who left were leaving due to COVID restrictions, but most things are opened back up now. A lot of the good changes like increased outdoor dining seem to have remained intact. When I was in River North a few weeks ago when we had that 80-degree day, Clark Street was closed in River North and was very lively.
The rental values are now driving people out of Orlando. My 2/2 apartment is going up to $2100 and was around $1600 when I moved in three years ago. The median wage here is 35K, so if you do the math...Meanwhile, the same apartment in Chicago would rent for a few hundred per month less and in some instances with utilities included...along with a higher salary.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:14 PM

1,216 posts, read 511,924 times
With these lists is it only inside the city limits or the metro area? I would have to imagine it is the metro area. Anyways Chitown #10 and the rest all warmer weather areas.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:27 AM

29,514 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Glad to see that Chicago is in the top 10 destinations but what is the out migration rate? Is it larger than the in flow of new residents? Not a city map but city population patterns tend to follow county population patterns.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:11 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
Isn't Clark always closed over there? Between Kinzie and Grand I haven't seen open in years. Covid may have been the reason it has been blocked off to make way for all the outdoor dining, not sure if it predates that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
When I was in River North a few weeks ago when we had that 80-degree day, Clark Street was closed in River North and was very lively.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:46 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times
I'll be interested to see if this holds if real estate prices decline in the next couple of years. Chicago is very attractive now from a cost of living perspective, both because it pays better than the Sunbelt and it's cheaper than the coasts. A decline in rents in the northeast and west coast would probably knock Chicago off the list.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:52 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Glad to see that Chicago is in the top 10 destinations but what is the out migration rate? Is it larger than the in flow of new residents? Not a city map but city population patterns tend to follow county population patterns.
Illinois as a whole is bleeding purple. Not all that surprising though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago