Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2022, 08:43 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,178,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Robert9, good evening.

You know you're my brother.

But I need you to tell me: As bleak as some things are for you as an Illinois resident, WHAT makes you to CHOOSE to stay?

Thank you.
Seems like most of the good places are in warm weather places. And as you know I HATE hot weather. Now maybe Canada is an option. it is something I look into sometimes. Then of course even if I find a place that I think works for me. There is having the money to move everything that far away

I have friends in Florida who beg me to move there and get out of this mess here. But Florida weather is the exact opposite of what I want. Otherwise, I would do it as I love everything else about that state. Funny thing is the main friend there is the one who used to visit here a lot and wanted to move here. Until he saw the crime and the politics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 09:43 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Robert 9, my brother....

The reason why I ask is: because sometimes you complain about living in Illinois, as I indicate I prefer Illinois over Wisconsin.

So, I was curious: Why DON'T you move???..... People very often ask me why I don't move to Illinois since I'm always there (Heck, even tonightvI grabbed dinner at The Shanty, in Wadsworth, which I highly recommend).

But, some of my factors are: I DO love my job in the Waukesha County system. My children are teens, and reside 15 minutes away from me. Gas prices and taxes are cheaper here. It's close enough to easily make day trips, as far away as Chicago.

So currently, I'm okay to stay in Milwaukee. I was curious, what kept YOU in Chicagoland?

Old 06-29-2022, 02:03 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Seems like most of the good places are in warm weather places. And as you know I HATE hot weather. Now maybe Canada is an option. it is something I look into sometimes. Then of course even if I find a place that I think works for me. There is having the money to move everything that far away

I have friends in Florida who beg me to move there and get out of this mess here. But Florida weather is the exact opposite of what I want. Otherwise, I would do it as I love everything else about that state. Funny thing is the main friend there is the one who used to visit here a lot and wanted to move here. Until he saw the crime and the politics
I know this is off-topic, but I’m also curious like Master Jay. If you don’t like what’s going on in Chicago and don’t like warm weather, what has stopped you from moving to other colder weather cities? Boston is super clean, educated, and very safe. While Minneapolis had negative press with the George Floyd death, it’s super safe compared to Chicago (only 45 murders). Seattle has temperate weather and is clean, educated, and safe too. Lots of other cold weather cities that don’t have Chicago’s issues, so I’m also curious as to what is keeping you in Chicago.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:37 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I know this is off-topic, but I’m also curious like Master Jay. If you don’t like what’s going on in Chicago and don’t like warm weather, what has stopped you from moving to other colder weather cities? Boston is super clean, educated, and very safe. While Minneapolis had negative press with the George Floyd death, it’s super safe compared to Chicago (only 45 murders). Seattle has temperate weather and is clean, educated, and safe too. Lots of other cold weather cities that don’t have Chicago’s issues, so I’m also curious as to what is keeping you in Chicago.
That's 45 murders before the end of June. In a city of like 400,000 (so, basically the same murder rate as Chicago). In the 2010s, 45 would have been a full-year total in a bad year for Minneapolis. It's a different city now. It's certainly not "super safe."

Old 06-29-2022, 06:48 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Yes.

That's not what I'm hearing. While nobody's being told to pack their bags right now and put their house on the market, my understanding is they will be moving most of the workforce to the Miami location over the next several years.

I guess we'll see.
We will see. I was told the exact opposite.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:15 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
For certain people, finding a suitable place to live that isn't "home" is tough. Personally, if I could find a "Chicago south" that was safer, but not way hot, and not in a "bright red" place, I'd be very tempted. My wife hates humid heat and would be miserable in a Trumpy place. I'm more in the middle, and would be fine in most political climates.

We have no interest for the reasons above, to move to the SE part of the country. My son is in Florida and from all his descriptions, etc. I don't think that would work either. Miami is cool, but not a place I'd want to settle. Neither of us want to live in Texas. And we like urban environments.

The west coast cities are too expensive and too liberal extreme. We'd fit in more with the east coast urban way of living, but it's just so sticky and humid there in the summer, and not much warmer than Chicago in the winter. Less crime would be the only reason to move there.

My guess is we will stay in Chicago (unless we get to a point where we are personally affected by crime and get wigged out) until we are nearing retirement, then move to purple Arizona at some point - or split between the two if we are blessed enough financially to afford it.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
For certain people, finding a suitable place to live that isn't "home" is tough. Personally, if I could find a "Chicago south" that was safer, but not way hot, and not in a "bright red" place, I'd be very tempted. My wife hates humid heat and would be miserable in a Trumpy place. I'm more in the middle, and would be fine in most political climates.

We have no interest for the reasons above, to move to the SE part of the country. My son is in Florida and from all his descriptions, etc. I don't think that would work either. Miami is cool, but not a place I'd want to settle. Neither of us want to live in Texas. And we like urban environments.

The west coast cities are too expensive and too liberal extreme. We'd fit in more with the east coast urban way of living, but it's just so sticky and humid there in the summer, and not much warmer than Chicago in the winter. Less crime would be the only reason to move there.

My guess is we will stay in Chicago (unless we get to a point where we are personally affected by crime and get wigged out) until we are nearing retirement, then move to purple Arizona at some point - or split between the two if we are blessed enough financially to afford it.
This is a Chicago (and Illinois) trend. There are so many Chicagoans in Arizona that they have a Portillos, and several Chicago sports bars/establishments

Old 06-29-2022, 04:42 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,178,929 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sk...out&li=BBnb7Kz

Old 06-29-2022, 05:24 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
That's 45 murders before the end of June. In a city of like 400,000 (so, basically the same murder rate as Chicago).
*clutches pearls*

But...but...but...it's educated and white. IMPOSSIBLE.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
It is the headlines of losing Boeing and Caterpillar that are a devastating blow to the city. People are only seeing the headlines, and not going to bother looking into the details. All the explanations of why it doesn’t make much of a difference and how there will still be staff here, doesn’t change the headlines or bad press. It will take 2 equally powerhouse companies moving in to recover from this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago