U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:41 AM

15,589 posts, read 12,407,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDChicago View Post
Is that a joke? The answer is that those communities lack diversity and are totally devoid of the contributions of White-Americans to the mix. That could help. How can they attract more diversity?
Stop committing crimes against everyone and anyone that comes in the area? That could be a start.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:41 AM

3,555 posts, read 6,391,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Stop committing crimes against everyone and anyone that comes in the area? That could be a start.
What percent of people in, for instance, Englewood, are commiting crimes? I believe most of them are much more likely to be crime victims than crime committers.

So perhaps your blame should be administered elsewhere.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:11 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,818,107 times
Default people who commit crime are to blame

Avengerfire is correct. Those who commit the crime are to blame. Certainly people in areas like Englewood are more likely to have bad influences but at some point you have to take responsibility for yourself. Poverty is not the only factor as many Mexicans in my area are dirt poor and don't even qualify for govt programs outside of food stamps and health benefits for their american born kids. Entitlement just isn't an option for these people and they seem to not fall into the trap that many in areas such as Englewood do.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:49 AM

3,087 posts, read 2,902,922 times
I am still looking for an opportunity to find a way to be actually useful to those in the Englewood / west Englewood area. This is where I "grew up", in the 50's / 60's, and my memories of this neighborhood are very fond. It's not that I want to "gentrify" the area, I do not now live nearby, but would love an opportunity to provide opportunity to the youth of that area. Any ideas?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:52 AM

Well, I was in Englewood yesterday and no one committed a crime against me.

I just find very little utility in pointing out the 'worst' neighborhoods, other than smug voyeurism.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:56 AM

157 posts, read 240,230 times
I would like to know if there is any istory behind the name "Back of the Yards". I am not from Chi, but will be moving here soon. I just find it strange that a neighborhood be named "back of the Yards". And I do see it listed that way on online neighborhood maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
The Englewood threat got me thinking what are the top 5 worst neighborhoods in Chicago?

Here are mine:

1.) Englewood
2.) West Garfield Park
3.) North Lawndale
4.) Back of the Yards
5.) Austin

I am curious to see what neighborhoods others list.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:10 PM

The 'yards' were the meat packing houses situated near 43rd and Halsted, i.e. the stockyards. In the early portions of the 20th century many people lived close enough to walk to their place of work. Those meat packing workers butchering hogs, etc. lived 'back of the yards'. The neighborhood is considered to be around 43rd and Western, where there is a mall called (you guessed it!) "Back of the Yards).

Old 05-26-2008, 12:22 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,407,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
What percent of people in, for instance, Englewood, are commiting crimes? I believe most of them are much more likely to be crime victims than crime committers.

So perhaps your blame should be administered elsewhere.
I never said a majority of the people were criminals. And of course a decent amount of residents are crime victims. I was directing my comment to those that are part of a scourge to society,which there seem to be more of in certain areas.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:27 PM

52 posts, read 149,703 times
Time to throw in my 2c and stir the pot.
You want to fix up these areas? GENTRIFY BABY!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:45 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,818,107 times
Default Gentrification

No doubt gentrification is the answer but there are only so many yuppies to go around. Areas like Bronzeville will gentrify long before areas like Englewood.

Education is the key and until residents take responsibilty nothing will happen. The good ones, regardless of race will continue to flee to greener pastures.

Yes, helping my area gentrify by helping to get rid of problem families does make me feel good but it also makes my property more valuable and allows me to charge a higher rent as a result with better tenants. I genuinely feel bad for many in my area as I had opportunities growing up they do not and I will help those that I can. Those I help will be those who are willing to fish but need someone to teach them how to fish. I don't do handouts other than the taxes I pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago