U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2009, 11:03 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,333,567 times

Advertisements

Austin, Henderson, and Moore cause separation and have better hands than any Bear WR including Hester.

I was not aware T.J. Houshmandzadeh had signed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 PM

10,714 posts, read 18,343,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
One of these days team will learn not to waste a first round pick on a quarterback.
They just need to be smarter about who they pick. I'm shocked that Jerry Angelo still has a job. He's terrible at evaluating personnel.

I say this as an outsider. I hate the Bears with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 PM

425 posts, read 906,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Austin, Henderson, and Moore cause separation and have better hands than any Bear WR including Hester.

I was not aware T.J. Houshmandzadeh had signed.
Yeah, ESPN reported it this morning, and Bart Scott signed with the Jets after Rex Ryan pulled out some old-school college recruiting techniques (was in the guy's driveway at 12:01 a.m. when free agency began).

BTW, don't take my posts too personal. This is actually the part of sports that I like, the off-season debating. I think I may be related to Skip Bayless...

Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Yeah, ESPN reported it this morning, and Bart Scott signed...

BTW, don't take my posts too personal. This is actually the part of sports that I like, the off-season debating. I think I may be related to Skip Bayless...
No, its is ok.

Some days I do not listen to sports radio at all (like today) so I did not hear about a few things. I am a great Fantasy Football manager regardless.

Ummm, you do know Skip Bayless is gay right? lol
Not that anything is wrong with that!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 PM

425 posts, read 906,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Ummm, you do know Skip Bayless is gay right? lol
Not that anything is wrong with that!
Really? I didn't know that. I don't really know much about him, I just know that the crazy stuff he comes up with on First Take just astounds me sometimes. I still remember, plain as day, the first time I ever saw First Take. It was after the 2006 PGA season had ended, when Tiger won 2 of 4 majors, and Skip said that he should be disappointed with himself. Since then, I've watched almost every single day just to see what he'll say next.

But like you say, if he is gay, more power to him.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 PM

308 posts, read 483,491 times
First off, not all of the Chicago teams are cheap and all of that stereotype. That has changed to a certain degree. However, it still holds pretty true for the Bears.

Even if Jay Cutler is not available anymore, it's disgusting to see that the Bears did not even make any inquiries about his availability. Forget the fact that he grew up in Indiana and was a Bears fan growing up, but he is a Pro Bowl quarterback who was being shopped around. At least give a damn phone call to the Broncos! The Vikings did not land either Housh or have no traded for (at least for now) Jay Cutler, but they're active at least.

Jerry Angelo is horrible. I don't want to hear anymore garbage from this guy. Just go out there and get something done. The other day, when asked about why the Bears never were interested in Houshmanzadeh, he goes and says something along the lines of great receivers don't make a great quarterback. Are you for real? You give Drew Brees our wide outs, with Rashied Davis dropping balls left and right and Marty Booker getting absolutely no separation, and his stats are half of what they were last season.

Kyle Orton can be a good quarterback for us. This is why I am not all that upset about the Cutler situation. When Kyle was healthy, he was getting things done. When he wasn't, he started showing it. However, expecting him to be fully healthy next season, I expect him to be right where he left off last season when healthy. But he needs guys to throw the ball to. Greg Olsen is emerging as a threat. But if we enter the season with Devin Hester as our #1 WR, we are in trouble. Even if we draft a WR, can we really expect him to emerge as a real threat immediately? No. He could, but we can't expect that.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 AM

10,714 posts, read 18,343,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
Kyle Orton can be a good quarterback for us. This is why I am not all that upset about the Cutler situation.
You Bears fans settle so easily. You're like the Old Maid marrying a deadbeat man after decades of being single. Kyle Orton is not the future of the Bears, nor any other winning NFL team.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 AM

4,347 posts, read 6,093,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You Bears fans settle so easily. You're like the Old Maid marrying a deadbeat man after decades of being single. Kyle Orton is not the future of the Bears, nor any other winning NFL team.
I don't know about that. There are many winning teams, even super bowl teams, who have done so with average to slightly above average qb's.

It'd be great if we could have a superstar QB, but that's not really the question, since there aren't any really available. The question is how can the bears most improve - by getting a marginal improvement over the average QB we have there now, or focusing on improving on receivers who are all below average.

It's more likely the Bears offense will see the most improvement by focusing on a skill position that needs the most improvement.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 AM

The Bears were 9-6 in 2008 in games Orton started. 2-1 in 2007. 10-5 in 2005.

Aaron Rogers was 6-10 in 2008 in games started.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 AM

3,020 posts, read 5,984,027 times
The NFL Network was talking about how Jerry Angelo, in private, expressed his frustrations to a couple of NFL Network analysts that he had a move on the table that would have dramatically improved the team, in Jerry's eyes, but was told he could not make the move due to financial reasons. For years, it's been perceived that the McCaskey's are cheap. It turns out that they actually are. They probably lost millions in the stock market and won't allow the Angler to make the moves he wants because they would rather have bigger profit margins. The McCaskey family's income is basically the Bears. Unlike with other owners such as Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones. Chicago, the Bears that is, has over $30 million availabe in cap space. Take away about $5 or $6 million that it will take to sign all the draft picks and there is still tons of money available to dramatically improve the team but Angelo seems handicapped in his ability to spend money on attracting quality free agents.

In short, keep dreaming! Cutler in a Bears uni will never happen given the McCaskey's owning the team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago