Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,555,381 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend will start working there in several months, and I admit I'm a little nervous about it. I've read reports how the area was(is?) a black middle class neighborhood, but there have been a great deal of crime, including several murdered cops in 2011.

How nervous should I/she be? I've been reading articles on it, but they're mostly from 2011. Most of them say the same thing - white pre-block busting until the early 60s, then black middle class, older generation moving out or dying, newer kids a problem, kids from projects being a huge problem, a liquor store was a disaster, still some city employees and cops living there. Professional class mostly moved out.

That's pretty much all I can figure. Anyone have any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,529,171 times
She won't make it out alive.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:55 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,225,802 times
^^^Don't say that LOL!
OP if she's at the bank that's there, then she'll be fine. The guards will walk her to her car at night if she asks them. Depending on how she looks, the worst that will possibly happen is some flirting from the local thugs.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 PM

She's at a private company by there, and I see on google maps the parking lot is right outside. I'm really trying to find a silver lining to this - a job is a job, after all - but reading about all the projects' transplants and havoc in the area, it's just a bit scary.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:27 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,396,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
She's at a private company by there, and I see on google maps the parking lot is right outside. I'm really trying to find a silver lining to this - a job is a job, after all - but reading about all the projects' transplants and havoc in the area, it's just a bit scary.
She's going to be driving every day? Then what's the problem? No one gets dragged out of their car in Chatham. Have you looked at 87th street between Cottage and the Dan Ryan? It's all very benign - this isn't Englewood, guy. Keep calm, she'll be fine.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:44 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,529,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
She's going to be driving every day? Then what's the problem? No one gets dragged out of their car in Chatham. Have you looked at 87th street between Cottage and the Dan Ryan? It's all very benign - this isn't Englewood, guy. Keep calm, she'll be fine.
Yes, but there are a lot of black people in that area. That's a frightening thing to deal with for many Chicagoans.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,156,709 times
I thought this dude was living there. Even then I wouldn't be concerned.

But just WORKING there?

Ha.

Don't even think about it.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:51 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,381,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
She won't make it out alive.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:19 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,013,591 times
Quote:
My girlfriend will start working there in several months, and I admit I'm a little nervous about it. I've read reports how the area was(is?) a black middle class neighborhood, but there have been a great deal of crime, including several murdered cops in 2011.

How nervous should I/she be? I've been reading articles on it, but they're mostly from 2011. Most of them say the same thing - white pre-block busting until the early 60s, then black middle class, older generation moving out or dying, newer kids a problem, kids from projects being a huge problem, a liquor store was a disaster, still some city employees and cops living there. Professional class mostly moved out.

That's pretty much all I can figure. Anyone have any input?
If your girlfriend is scared, she can have someone walk her to the car. She's just WORKING there not living there. Go make that money and stop freaking out, lol.

Quote:
I suppose the "silver lining" is an exposure to Chatham. Why is exposure to an area you'd otherwise never venture into a bad thing? Are you really that narrow minded?

I'm a white man from IL and I work in Gary, Indiana.. My job kinda sucks and I actually see THAT as a "silver lining".

Maybe your girlfriend will learn a thing or two that has nothing whatsoever to do with the job description. Maybe.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 PM

I'm definitely a little narrow minded about her getting harassed by residents or being unable to drive past kids obstructing traffic. If that happens, yeah, it would be upsetting for both of us. And yes she's driving and won't likely be strolling around the blocks during her lunch break, but it's a neighborhood I know very little about beyond what I've read (none of which was reassuring), hence my posting in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago